How would you compensate LTR guest for reoccurring prowler/peeping Tom?

Order 2. One for porch. One for peep spot. Attach with double sided tape instead of screws. Since not using screws which increase risk of water seepage damage, HOA approval not needed. Also you could consider them temporary.

Motion activated so bright illumination

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Window-Sensor-2-Pack/1000118561
Put on windows in case he tries to come in

Order 2. Porch & peep spot

Solar Sound & Light Alarm Motion Sensor 110 Decibels Siren Sound Alert & 6LEDs Flash Warning Strobe Security Alarm System for Farm Villa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYXPL4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FTFW8JRA2AWV3YDTMD0E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Flood lights
Motion detected alarm
Alarms on windows
For $100 you can make the neighborā€™s windows look better to him than yours.

This is probably not a popular opinion but Iā€™d help them find alternate accommodations stat. If I was staying there as a guest Iā€™d feel very unsafe and being woken up in the middle of the night 4 times by the police is excessive. Iā€™d be more concerned that this creep would break and enter the home while guests are sleeping than about my monetary loss. And TBH, they might ask AirBnB for a refund and would likely be awarded it anyways.

3 Likes

Tell them the measures you are taking & if they indicate uncomfortable then do this

More important than any $$$ is make your home safe.

If you opt for a whole home system simplisafe is one of the most affordable options in the USA

2 Likes

And another thingā€”Iā€™m trying to figure out how to have a motion detected rattle snake rattling (no live snakes) when he gets to a peep spot. That would clear him out!

Update: Canā€™t find a motion detector rattle that I like (yes they make them) but this looks appealing

My mean streak has come out. I must stop.

By the way, invest $$$ in protection not a refund. The refund doesnā€™t address the real problem.

2 Likes

A flash-bang grenade, or even a can of mace wired to go off when the bulb is removed would rattle this pervā€™s chain. Frankly, Iā€™d have already been out there with a big stick, sitting quietly in the dark, waiting for him to start to unscrew the bulb. Then WACK!

BTW ā€“ NO MONEY!!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s different. It just seemed weird to me to offer them $150 or $200. Like for what? It doesnā€™t change the experience in any way. But saying, ā€œHey guys, I really appreciate you being so patient with this bizarre situation. Iā€™d like to treat you to a nice dinner, wherever you want to go, itā€™s on me.ā€ is totally different.

Doubt it. If he was a B&Eer, heā€™d have done it by now. Thatā€™s not his gig. His kink is much weirder than that. I do wonder why he picked that house, though. Or maybe heā€™s doing it at other houses in the neighborhood, too. Going door to door with his face photo, though, is a good idea.

3 Likes

i find this soooo creepyā€¦if i was them i woudl have leftā€¦

for me i agree usd200 would be nice. its not your fault but its just a present to say sorry this happened - i think its a nice friendly thing to doā€¦and they would appreciate it - even if it means they have a nice evening somewhere to get over itā€¦

oooh so creepy - and scarey!..unscrewing lightsā€¦hiding in bushesā€¦

1 Like

In thinking about it, he really may have picked the house because it has an obvious camera. Itā€™s late at night, people inside are in bed so they wonā€™t see him.
This wacko has to be a little twisted in thinking that the thing that makes this a thrill (the camera) is also going to help him get caught.

2 Likes

My thinking as well. Itā€™s like arsonists are often in the crowd watching the fire they set. Itā€™s their kink.

Iā€™d have been out of there after the second time.

4 Likes

You know the guests better than any of us so I would follow your gut on giving them money. You may not be able to avoid this in a review. However, you need to be prepared to say how the problem has been solved in response to the review. I agree with getting that picture of his face all over the place. Be careful with a stakeout. Heā€™s obviously not the sanest person.

2 Likes

I would re-house them immediately in a local hotel or help them book another Airbnb, and refund them the difference and their cancellation hit from Airbnb. I would drive them there myself if they donā€™t have a car. Heck, I might even offer them the guest bedroom in my own house.

I would not involve Airbnb CS at all.

You have three objectives: 1) That your guests are safe; 2) That they not remotely mention this in their review and 3) That Airbnb through its weird internal procedures does not misinterpret matters and shut you down for criminal activity on your property, at which point you have limited recourse and a lot of tsuris.

7 Likes

If youā€™d had this happen to you, you wouldnā€™t mention it in a review? I donā€™t see how it could not be mentioned, itā€™s traumatic in my opinion.

4 Likes

On further thought, I would rehouse them in a better/bigger/more luxurious STR.

Then I would stay in the STR, with my phone app, to call the police the minute the wierdo starts up the walk.

9 Likes

Why? Itā€™s not your fault. Iā€™ve had guests when the road has suddenly been dug up with no warning creating terrific noise. And when the water has been off because of a burst pipe. And when a tropical storm cut the power outā€¦ and more.

Iā€™ve never refunded for those because they werenā€™t my fault. Youā€™ve probably read before about my guests who complained to me about the ocean not being blue enoughā€¦ no refund there either.

The bloke is a nuisance. Post on the nextdoor site. Posters in the area is a good idea too.

Personally, and I know this is just me, Iā€™d wait for him to appear, blind him with a flashlight and yell ā€˜WTF are you doing on my property? Get the **** outā€™.ā€™

4 Likes

This thread is fascinating. Responses range from ā€œno big dealā€ to ā€œget out now.ā€

3 Likes

Not a chance Iā€™d be willing to take for myself or guests- itā€™s not like I know what the person is thinking

Well, best case then, the review says ā€œWe had a possibly unsafe situation in the Airbnb, not the hostā€™s fault, and the host went above and beyond to take care of it.ā€

2 Likes

The difference here is the peeperā€™s recurring presence is known. This kind of thing happens more often than we know. He has to see the camera. He knows the missing bulb is a giveaway. He is ā€œmessingā€ with the guests.

Hmmmā€”yes blast picture on Nextdoor like @jaquo suggested.

Odd he chose the STR house & guest window. Any neighbors unhappy you do STR?

A review about a peeper or feeling unsafe could effectively kill the STR business.

Iā€™m liking @KenH ā€™s idea of scare the daylights idea better & better. Maybe start by placing the motion detector alarm on the porch. Solar Sound & Light Alarm Motion Sensor 110 Decibels Siren Sound Alert & 6LEDs Flash Warning Strobe Security Alarm System for Farm Villa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYXPL4P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_NPNYVC09KH0MJWGG4EGE

2 Likes

I might have missed it but was he on the scene before these guests arrived? How do the guests know that heā€™s there? (Iā€™m assuming this happens at night when curtains or blinds are closed).

Could it be that the guests are responsible for this personā€™s presence at your home?

I honestly donā€™t see whatā€™s so tough about it for them? I donā€™t know about anyone else but I wouldnā€™t go to bed in a strange place without closing the blinds.

And if this man is tossing it off in the bushes, usually that sort of activity needs some visual stimulus.

From what I can tell, the guests were asleep and the host, in a remote location, was getting alerts from the guests front door camera.
The host called the cops, they come over and pound on the guests door sometime very late at night four different nights.

The visual stimulus, Iā€™m guessing, is the camera. Donā€™t know how much of the activity was captured, but enough so the host was suspicious of what the perv was up to.

Hopefully weā€™ll get an update and the perv will have been arrested.

2 Likes