How to Win an Airbnb Damages Dispute with a Host (as a Guest)

Here’s an article from a guest’s viewpoint.

Its advice is sound for Hosts as well as guests: “I avoided making any extreme statements and made my words as non-emotional as possible.” The author states: “I was lucky that my host made overly emotional falsified claims that gave me a lot to work with in my defense.”

1 Like

tl;dr

“Be kind, honest, and calm”

2 Likes

What I found interesting was the first response to that blog, by a host. The host obviously thinks all the things they listed that guests have done are legitimate complaints, but a bunch of it indicates an attitude that outs herself as a host who tries to blame guests for her own lack of understanding about what is normal “things wear out” and a lack of oversight.

She does long term bookings, but obviously has no policies about checking on the place during a long term stay, via doing a quick clean once a week or two. Then, instead of employing a co-host while she was travelling, to at least check the place out after a guest left, and remove any garbage, she doesn’t get back and check it for 3 weeks.

She claims it took 6 weeks to air the place out, which is ridiculous. She just doesn’t know the methods of getting rid of odors.

And she thinks that because a 7 year old faucet started dripping when a guest was there, it’s the guest’s fault, and that it should last with no issues “for decades”. Like she is completely unaware that faucets drip because the rubber washers wear out over time and need to be replaced, a 5 minute job with a tiny cost for new washers.

4 Likes