How to vette guests from non-airbnb's platforms

Yeah that one is very annoying. It is inexplicable why they won’t provide this basic function…
So we came up with our own solution. We manually block a day here and there on the VRBO calendar, so an IB guest can’t select more than like 14 nights - to prevent any possibility of a stay long enough to grant tenant rights.

1 Like

I put in my house rules (one of the 3 boxes they let you fill in) that bookings > 14 days will be cancelled immediately unless they’ve been approved by the host. So far the longest I’ve had is 5 nights via VrBo and no requests for longer. It’s also in my Rental Agreement.

Do you think that’s not sufficient? Anyone had trouble canceling a stay w/o penalty that was longer than you wanted?

What you did seems wise. We have something similar except more like “host may cancel any booking at sole discretion of host”.
We don’t trust any OTA, and prefer pro-active measures. Vrbo’s choice to exclude max nights must be intentional and so implies a policy to screw hosts in any event. So, we made the conflict impossible. The IB guest would be forced to ASK about the blocked night, and we maintain control. We are not interested in a potential discussion or argument with a cs agent in some call center over our rights and rules.

1 Like

On one hand, yes you are 100% technically correct. But, as many (most?) of us have noted, “guests don’t read”.
We prefer a pro-active approach - just our personal taste - to prevent an overly long IB pre-booking than possibly have to deal with a post booking “sorry but we don’t allow that”.
No idea why so late in the game VRBO insists on denying hosts a very basic setting for every other platform. Well, whatever, we can have our IB, with only a small chance of conflict.