How to vette guests from non-airbnb's platforms

How did “wee pads” ever become equated with “housetrained”? It’s so bizarre to me. Housetrained means the dog never does its business inside.

It’s the equivalent of calling a child in diapers “potty-trained”.

And to me it indicates laziness on the part of the dog owner, like kids who are still in diapers at the age of 4 or 5. (Altho I could understand if it’s a senior dog with incontinence issues, or an injured dog that can’t be walked, like when my friend’s dobie was hit by a car)

Other thing about small dogs- they tend to be yappers, but I guess that depends on the breed and the training. But dog owners also seem to think little dogs don’t really require training. They think it’s cute when their dog jumps up on people- “Oh, he really likes you!”.

1 Like

It’s also the guests with the little dogs (let’s be honest, it is not the dog’s fault) that think none of the rules apply to them. They let them run around in the hallway and out in front of the house. And they don’t inquire to get their dog pre-approved first. I get an IB that says something like, “We are bringing our dog, but he’s only 10 pounds”. Ok, but what is his decibel level and when poops on the wee pad is it not going to stink?

Of course this is a stereo-type of sorts but it has been my personal experience as well. Apologies to anyone with a little one and, for the record, I do still allow them. For now.

1 Like

My LTR is not a big place & dogs are not allowed to be off-leash ever (HOA rules, shared yard space & people have little kids). My tenant continually broke this rule (neighbors complained) but it wasn’t worth eviction, esp during a pandemic.

Any dog can be aggressive or bark too much and that is not permitted no matter the size.

But having a year of 2 large dogs in a brand new condo & having the carpet ruined (snagged to pieces in areas & stinky), baseboards chewed to shreds and the walls scratch up so badly we had to retexture several walls & don’t start me on the hair (even all over the interior refrigerator- ugh!) & the musty stink - yuck….put a fork in me. I’d disallow pets altogether if it didn’t limit my application pool so much (if I knew the person to be a responsible owner it’d be different). This sad tale, of course, has more to do with a bad owner vs a bad pet but I’m messed up for life over this one :wink:.

I know all of the comments are likely personal experience based but there is mine.

Any dog, big or small, can do damage but in my experience, my smaller ones have been much easier to manage in this regard.

And, I think all pups deserve room to run and play freely if it can be given to them. Smaller dogs can do that inside a small condo/home. My place is not suited for big dogs in my option so that’s my rule :slight_smile:

Labs? Water dogs are musty because of the oils they have to shed the water. I grew up with labs and they do leave stink on everything. And boy does it linger.

I wouldn’t like to have a water dog stay in my furnished apartments. Fortunately, it has not come up. They are not as popular in New England as they are in TX. Plus they don’t scare of the families with children like the Huskies and Pibbles do , )

Labradoodle and Dobermann.

1 Like

It was the labradoodle. Some of them have too many lab genes. I had a doberman. Never stinky. She was the first non-lab-mix dog I had, I remember being so amazed that she got to sleep in the bed.

I have had but don’t prefer to have a labradoodle in my apartments. Too much energy.

1 Like

Around here, you don’t walk Labs on the beach when the salmon start spawning. The spawned out carcasses float out of the creeks on the high tide and end up at the high tide line on every beach.

Labs seem to think that they never stink enough. So they roll in dead fish. Or fresh cow paddies (thankfully, no cows here). Or a rotten carcass of some kind. And then they are so excited to be your friend!

2 Likes

You can always vet guests on any site ('vette is short for Corvette), including VRBO. We have been in the business for 17 years and list on all major sites. And you do not have to accept instant bookings on VRBO, although we do on all sites – with limitations (especially on AirBnB, which is by far the one with the. most problematic guests as it has become the McDonald’s of vacation rentals). We always call and speak to guests at least once before they arrive to go over details and get some info.

And we always take a security deposit from every site we book, especially AirBnB (relying on their claims process is very risky and tedious). At least VRBO allows you to charge a guest’s card directly without question or approval, so we had to stop asking for an additional deposit up front from them only.

How do you take a direct deposit with AirBnB guests?

It is clearly stated in our listings and we charge them it via the Resolution Center before arrival. They must acknowledge and agree to this as part of pop-up message up front as well, right before confirming reservation and payment .

Thanks for that. It bothered me.

1 Like

Or other dog’s :poop: So many memories of washing something stinky of the dogs so they could get back into the car with us.

1 Like

what a cutie potutie pie

if you use a system that is api connected …for example OwnerRez…then AirBnb now allows the owner to hold a real security deposit without going through them anymore. I highly recommend that avenue, if you have a valuable property or two or more.

2 Likes

Thank you, @georgygirlofairbnb :blush:!

It’s just like you say @georgygirlofairbnb! I just now got an IB from VRBO with this message attached from the “new 2021 profile” guest: “We do have a 7th person joining us but we are not too worried about the space.” What? I don’t recall asking that question. I only recall you agreed to the house rules that include strict verbiage about overcrowding.

If the guest had perhaps asked me if it was okay…I still likely would have said no, but this presumption I don’t understand. Immediately I am thinking they will presume to ignore my other house rules also. They didn’t even answer the IB questions (names, ages, etc.). I can’t be bothered. I am sure they are nice folks and I know they are a new account so I get they maybe don’t understand, but still.

I asked them to cancel and they did and were polite about it saying they had hoped it would not be an issue. Well, GUEST…it is! At any rate, I’m not upset at the ex-guest. This was on VrBO and they responded EXACTLY as @georgygirlofairbnb stated above. They refused to cancel for me w/o penalty. So, I told the guest they must lower their group size (& we will monitor), answer the IB questions, and agree to all house rules. So they canceled. But if they had not, I might have been stuck with a potentially stressful stay. I hate that. IB is now off on VrBO until I get over my indignation. I keep riding this dumb pendulum. It feels like an addiction.

I know everyone says don’t count on the platform for anything & I get it…my listing, my job, I have to do the wet work…but don’t punish me for doing my job right. I know this rant has been on this platform for years, I just needed to vent for a second. I’m okay now. Thank you for listening.

3 Likes

We don’t allow IB with VRBO because:

• They force 1 day between stays
  • They do not have max # of days
    Sorry but we are NOT interested in an IB that would automatically allow any guest to become a TENANT. No way. And not interested in being forced to forgo extra bookings. They need to grow up and allow hosts to run their business their way!
1 Like

They do neither
There is no forced gap
And
You can limit the number of days.
It is all there in the settings For your control. I don’t use IB but those particular reasons don’t apply.

Correction - SAME DAY bookings are not allowed. This can absolutely force a gap between stays. We get a good number of same day bookings.
VRBO does not have “Max Nights”. It does not exist. I even spoke and confirmed it with vrbo.

VRBO, for the short time I was on it, only IB and guests said nothing about why they were coming or anything else.

The other kicker was no maximum nights to stay, just ridiculous and then there were the scammers.

Guess I’m too used to Airs idiosyncrasies and not willing to adopt a whole new set.