How to target the kind of guest you want -- what I did

I literally have no idea what this would mean in real terms. Unless you are specific about your faith then I would have no idea how it would effect how you’d treat me. Maybe your a Muslim and you’d expect a female guest to cover her head? Maybe your a Christian who disapproves of gays? Who knows!

Re: fasting (catching up on this thread). Those who live in the north often break fast before sunset, since Ramadan is in the summer and nobody wants to get up at 4:30 am to eat and then wait until 10 pm for their next meal.

‘faith’ means unwavering belief in something without the pesky burden of evidence. To me, this is always a red flag, since ‘faith’ can be used to justify any ‘belief’… like the ‘belief’ that cutting your furniture legs off on a friday is what ‘your god’ told you to do. Folks who tend to believe in imaginary beings and follow unwaveringly books of rules without questioning scare me, since they will always be comparing life to their ‘list’ of what they think is right.

That said, if someone told me that your home was following some faith based rulebook, I would start thinking of how that would impact me. Would my choice of food, language, or style of sneakers ‘offend’ my host? How about my color? These are heavy burdens to place on people.

4 Likes

In the US this almost always means some sort of devout Christian. Usually they are evangelical Protestant but I’ve certainly met Catholics who weren’t comfortable with unmarried couples sleeping together. I have a number of gay friends who are very religious and they wouldn’t be deterred by someone flying their faith flag. LOL.

Interesting, and insightful response that to you it’s ambiguous. I can see your point. Sarah Warren “got” my message. “How we TREAT our guest” is with gracious hospitality no matter who they are. This message may deter some, but our “hospitality” or “hosting style” have outstanding reviews and we are hands down the most booked rooms in our area. We don’t have RULES or expectations for our guests based on our belief system. Any potential guest who read any of our reviews wouldn’t be deterred.

2 Likes

Actually, your faith is not the issue, you just don’t want inappropriate parties and unbooked sleep overs. Just say that. Most guests have no interest in your religion, they just want a quiet clean place to stay.

3 Likes

I’m actually going to start a new thread based on some of the comments here because we’ve gotten WAY of the original topic of how to target YOUR ideal guest. Thanks for the input all!

A host doesn’t have to have a strong faith ethic to treat guests with gracious hospitality. Atheists can do it too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

You are absolutely right. This addition to my profile has worked extremely well for me. While some of the comments here might influence me to change it, I should probably hold the position, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

I also have a bit of problem with you mentioning faith. Though i definitely dont object you being Christian, because i really dont care what faith my host is, but i dont really get what message you are delivering? I am Jewish, not practising though, and i would wonder, if you want me in a house, or you only want Christian people there, or if i am single can i still have sex with a boyfriend, or what exactly do you mean by that?

4 Likes

Exactly… just the fact that you make a point of mentioning it makes me believe there will be some judgment around it… whether subtle or overt.

If I wanted to book and said I was an atheist would you decline me? See what I mean?

3 Likes

I don’t believe I have anything in my statement that implies that I don’t want certain kinds of people. Perhaps I’m wrong. Maybe that might be inferred. I’ve had more than one Jewish person, I’ve had many unmarried couples. If I was trying to deter certain kinds of guests I can think of much better ways to get the message across.

I think that might very well be inferred. Otherwise I genuinely don’t know what you want someone to think when they read this. Maybe I should make it clear in our listing that we’re atheists? Ha!

3 Likes

Naa But you’ve made your point.

I rent out my entire 5 bedroom house and state it is a family environment in a quiet and safe area. . I am very definite with my rules. I state: No parties, No strippers, No spit Roast hire [my neighbours called to say my house was on fire - which meant there was a party going on], no buck’s nights and hen’s parties and definitely no “schoolies” [- the end of high school celebrations].
We have been doing this for 9 months now and also only had lovely families and small groups stay over.
People need to respect someone else’s property, so if one is clear up front, hopefully all goes well.
Yews I have a few small things go missing, but that’s no big deal, they are replaceable. I leave no major valuables around. Cheers

I don’t think there is any reason to mention any religion if you respect all faiths or non faiths. I’m sure many Christians smoke pot, drink booze and party, so really there is no reason to mention that unless you suggesting that you want to attract Christians in particular. Airbnb does not discriminate and I’m sure would prefer that hosts did not either. By mentioning a particular religion it may be misconstrued as discrimination. As a host for 3 years I’m hosted people from many religions, including and Orthodox priest, a Rabbi and a United Church minister. They were all great guests.

1 Like

There are many gay Christians. Is the OP trying to screen out gays/lesbians?