How to store extra bed pillows?

Currently I only have one pillow per person on each bed (2 twins and 1 king). We’re not a luxury rental, just a “home away from home” type place. I’d like to have some extra pillows (4 total) stored in each bedroom closet in case a guest would like more than one.

I’m wondering what is the most hygienic way to store them? Just on the wiring shelving w/ a protector case and the matching pillow cases folded next to them? In a tote or bag of some sort?

I’d prefer to not leave them on the bed because then I would need to launder them each time and I’m already at my maximum laundry capacity, as it is.

Any thoughts would be great. You all are so helpful.

Personally, I think only one pillow per guest on the bed is inadequate, I would put two. I don’t consider that to only be suitable for a “luxury” rental. Many people sit up in bed to read at night, or watch TV if there is one, and that pretty much requires 2 pillows to be comfortable.

I have 2 pillows on the single bed in my solo guest room. One is a thicker feather pillow and one is a thinner, down substitute, because not everyone has the same preference. It’s up to them whether they use only one or both.

As far as storing any extras, I would put them in a clear plastic bag, with the clean pillowcases already on them. I think guests would perceive that as the pillows being clean. If you leave the pillowcases folded up next to them, some guests might not put the pillowcase on, just use it with the pillow protector, which I assume you wouldn’t want them to do.

5 Likes

Agreed.

Heh1975 is assuming that the actual homes of everyone who visits her “home away from home” are equipped with only one pillow per bed. I haven’t had a bed that skimpy in my own home for decades, so an airbnb with only one pillow per head wouldn’t feel like a “home away from home” to me.

I think my reaction to finding one pillow per bed upon arrival at an airbnb or hotel would be “Really??? What else did they skimp on?”

3 Likes

However you store them. (I have extra pillows, blankets and towels in a linen closet in the main hall, I mention in my check out message to leave all things use out so that know they need to be washed. Guest do leave them out.

2 Likes

I agree with Muddy, two pillows per guest. I would put the king pillow in the closet and put a total of 4 standard pillows on the bed.

1 Like

Thanks @muddy and @Lynick4442 – those are good ideas.

Just to say that I agree with those who have said that one pillow per person is inadequate.

Two pillows does not equate a luxury rental.

We have two pillows per guest in our rentals and no spares.

Like Muddy, i have two pillows per guest for the same reasons.

Several pillows on the bed and 2 sort of “flat” pillows hanging in the closet to address that preference.

Extra linens including pillowcases are in a labelled drawer.

1 Like