How to prepare for snowstorm with guests?

Hi Everyone!
Newbie host here. We got a snowstorm coming and we got guests. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to prepare? Some of you may laugh at 6 inches of possible accumulation, but that can set my dense, urban, cash-strapped city spinning.
I was thinking:

1. Warn the guests
  2. Get additional water for their unit
  3. Buy some frozen pizza and a couple hardier staples for breakfast in case the roads are not plowed in a timely manner.
    The apartment (which is below ours) has flash lights, blankets, a first aid kit, and board games. Is that enough? Too little? Too much?

Our current guest are a couple of single guys on a business trip. I guess the fact that they look a bit athletic and rugged gives me a little more peace of mind (a bit more tha I’d have with the 10 young ladies that are arriving for fashion week right after the storm).

I look forward to your suggestions and advice.

I think that’s good. Don’t forget extra batteries.

Obviously, shovel and salt/grit…

2 Likes

We have a different problem - hurricanes. But being originally from the North of England, I’m accustomed to severe snow too. :slight_smile:

Is it possible that you could lose electrical power? If so be sure to get plenty of dried and canned food in addition to the frozen stuff. The last time we had a major hurricane the waster supply was cut off too and if that’s likely to happen to you then I’d suggest lots and lots of drinking water and gallons to flush the loo.

Also plenty of books, magazines and games that don’t rely on electricity such as chess, Scrabble etc.

1 Like

Your list sounds about right.

I lived in the cold/white North and the cold/white West for many years; now i’m like Jacquo in Florida. Emergency preparedness anywhere, anytime, is just smart. Here’s what we keep in a lidded tote box stashed for “just in case”:

Canned/dried foods – not frozen. When (not if) the power goes out your fridge dies. Four to six cans each of veggies, meat, and fruit – chili/spaghetti/is good, canned beans and corn, Spam or Chicken, dried or canned mixed fruit.

Gallon Jugs of Water – 2-4, you do NOT want to try melting snow (or desalinating seawater) to make fresh water.

Alternative Heat Source for Cooking – a one or two burner “Coleman” stove with 4 spare fuel canisters. Also a pot/pan for cooking in.

Sundries – flashlight(s), spare batteries, first aid kit, games/books, a bag of hard candies,

2 Likes

@KenH, if that’s your list for a snow storm, what is your list for an apocalypse? :wink:

3 Likes

For an apocalypse, I add weapons, and LOTS of ammunition. I prefer bows and crossbows; I make my own, and my own ammo. The sailboat I liveaboard is ready to explore the Caribbean on 10 minute notice.

No, I’m not paranoid. I am, however, prepared.

2 Likes

This all sounds good. I’m actually making a box that I’ll leave (sealed) in the unit with canned goods and other supplies just in case and so hopefully I won’t have to think about all of this everything time there is a severe weather warning. This whole region is infamous for losing power during storms due to the combination of large old trees and exposed electrical wiring, but we recently moved to an area where the wiring has been moved underground, so hopefully we won’t have to worry as much about power.

Having gone through Superstorm Sandy, lived a stone throw away from a major gas pipeline, and been exposed to earthquakes myself and to hurricanes on my husband’s side, we have an emergency backpack in the pantry, but that’s just for my family. It contains emergency supplies (emergency blankets, first aid kit, flashlights, a hand-crank radio, flares, candy etc.), a list of phone numbers for family and important services (since we can’t remember any of them these days), and copies of a few key documents (passports/ids, etc.). No ammo though. I guess the assumption has been immediate, forced evacuation rather than a zombie apocalypse. If the latter happens, I guess we’ll just eat our pizza and work through whatever whiskey we happen to have. :wink:

For the apocalypse I’ve always thought vodka would be a better currency than gold if you don’t have to transport it. I have no intentions whatsoever of trying to survive an apocalypse but I’ll be good and drunk when I exit stage left.

2 Likes

A few years back (2010) here in Paris region we had all airports, most trains, buses, highways, blocked and thousands had to sleep at their workplaces or in shopping centers, the Army rescued people in their cars on the highway after a… 4 inch snowfall. :joy:.

1 Like

Hey @KenH,

I pity the zombie who tries to mess with you!

1 Like

Reminded me of a joke I heard:

"One day on a lonely bit of road a police officer sees this old lady speeding in her Cadillac.

So the police officer pulls her over and tells the old lady that she was speeding a bit, then ask her “Are there any weapons in the car ma’am?”

She says “there is a gun rack with rifles and shotguns in the trunk behind the driver a pistol grip shotgun and two revolvers in the center console, a .45 in the glovebox along with a small ankle gun.”

The police officer says, “Ma’am, what are you afraid of?”

The old lady grins and says, “Not a thing!”

2 Likes

I would add one extra piece of advice, beware of candles! Whenever there is a power outage someone accidentally burns down their house with a tea light.

1 Like

Do you have food sources?

During Hurricane Sandy, I had guests arriving from London to one apartment. They arrived right before it. And another set of guests who were leaving right after.

Because we didn’t know what to expect. I made sure to buy enough water for all guests for a few days, food, flashlights, with batteries, I cooked, baked cookies. And with the guests who were staying with me, we watched movies. I couldn’t watch the news anymore.

The ones leaving were able to rent a car early the next day and drive out. The poor people from London were basically walking everywhere, the subway system wasn’t really working and their vacation was a bust. We didn’t lose electricity or water. But NY wasn’t a fun place to be at.

But they had a story to tell.

As a host, you’re basically quasi-responsible for these people who don’t know your city.

Food sources, Evelyn? You local megamart/grocery store (not a neighborhood mom&pop) has all the canned/dried food you could possibly want.

1 Like