How to phrase "eat what you want, don't take the piss"

I’d just assume that the alcohol would kill anything and use the olives.

1 Like

Ha ha, will do. I’m definitely not losing sleep over it!
:champagne:

I suspect the surprisingly short use-by dates are just to cover manufacturers arses. I reckon pickled or frozen things would last forever, but food companies can’t be sure you won’t take chicken breasts home and leave them in the sun for a couple of days

4 Likes

@Barns That’s what I figure, too. The expiry dates are to cover the companies’ ass. And a lot of people think it would be somehow dangerous to take medication that’s out of date, but a nurse friend told me that the medication is still good long after the expiry date, and even if it isn’t, there’s no danger in taking it other than it may not be as effective.

2 Likes

I believe this is the best suggestion. I just went to an Airbnb where there was no mention of which room I was staying in, or how things worked, rules were not posted anywhere. I felt lost! I wanted explicit do’s and don’t’s. The host was not in the house but she had two rooms she rented. The other guest told me some of the rules. Guests want clear rules so that they can be good guests.

2 Likes

Chum (Keta) salmon have the largest eggs, so they are the most prized for ikura. A kilo of Keta ikura wholesale here in Alaska is about $150, in Tokyo it’s $450 wholesale. Most of Alaska’s Sockeye salmon and all of its commercially prepared caviar are sold at wholesale auctions in Tokyo.

That’s why at our best local sushi bar (which I point out to guests is the closest restaurant, 3 blocks away) 3 pieces of ikura roll is $15. In Tokyo, according to a Japanese guest, the same 3 pieces would cost $75 in a good sushi bar, up to $250 in a really high end one. Japanese tourists are always blown away at the reasonable prices for fish here, because the multi-layered wholesale system in Japan (creates full employment!) adds more cost at each layer after the wholesale auction.

2 Likes

Hello Barns,
I suggest that you keep a basket and say what’s in the basket is yours and rest of the food is mine although I wouldn’t mind if you have one or two of my stuff (that is enough for smart ones). Yet if someone eats your food, don’t worry about it. There are odd ones that are a little thick in the head. They are inevitable.

3 Likes

‘While the fridge and kitchen space includes my general food, I encourage you to make use of the basics. . Please help yourself to staples like bread milk, cooking ingredients etc - I appreciate not all guests want to grocery shop the minute they arrive & want you to have a stress free arrival. It’d be appreciated if you can replace anything you use up before you head out. ‘

Anyone who isn’t a dickhead can translate ‘basics’ & ‘staples’ and know not to take the piss.

1 Like

My schtick as well. Seems to work. I don’t want guests feeling like they have to go out and buy cooking oil, salt, pepper, etc. just to make a quick meal.

Well said!

I don’t think I agree. If I’m a guest, what do “basics & staples” and “cooking ingredients” include? Bread? Cereal? Milk? Coffee? Cheese? Eggs? Onions? Bell peppers? Bacon? Orange juice? Yogurt? Flour? Sugar? Maple syrup? Cottage cheese? Frozen hamburger? Fruit? Ice cream?

All those foods are pretty basic. I think a description like that leaves a lot up to the guests’ interpretation and could easily cause misunderstandings.

Far better to just label a shelf or drawer in the fridge or in the pantry as “For Guest Use.” And label other areas as “Not for Guest Use.”

4 Likes

In these days of Covid, I don’t know that I would want guests using anything that you would use after they left…pickles from a jar, condiments, jelly, peanut butter. You get the idea. Hide or take with you when you leave items such as these.

That’s exactly what I tell my guests they can use in my kitchen. Cooking oil, salt, pepper, and whatever spices and herbs I have (but none of my jars are labelled, so if they want to try to figure out what’s what, fine with me). My guests have all been great, so they might ask if they can borrow an onion or something, which is okay, because they end up replacing things when they go shopping.

1 Like

Maple syrup is basic? No way. It’s expensive. Almost none of what you listed I’d consider basic. But your point is certainly true- hosts can’t simply assume that guests have the same perceptions that they do.

2 Likes

In our rentals we leave fresh unopened food unless it’s something we can use. Condiments can be open as long as fresh. Many guests thank us for not haven’t to go buy every little condiment and spice for a short stay. Those that don’t are welcome not to use it or can throw it out (if it bothers them that much). But we don’t automatically throw out every condiment if it’s fresh, no.

1 Like

Fair concern. CDC states that highest risk of infection is from airborne particulate. Foods & surfaces low risk but not “no risk”

1 Like

Has there even been a known documented case of infection by COVID from inanimate objects/second hand? Everything I heard has been from person-to-person contact. I don’t see how condiments in the fridge (especially with 2 days between guests) is a concern for COVID.

1 Like

I don’t know.

It is certainly possible for inanimate objects to be the vector for a virus. For example we know cold and flu can be spread by person A sneezing into their hand, person A uses that unclean hand to open a door. Person B opens that same door, virus now on hand then touches hand to face.

Covid-19 has been found living on surfaces for up to two weeks. Analysis on how Covid-19 spreads shows the older, dried virus has lost much of its virulence so it is less likely to cause illness.

The CDC is no longer recommending disinfecting everything that comes into our houses like grocery containers.

It is thought Covid-19 virus inhaled directly into the respiratory system is more virulent (More likely time cause illness)

I personally wouldn’t be too worried about a bottle of ketchup in the refrigerator but it is very low risk, not no risk.

yeah, let’s not worry TOO much about who’s touched what. Some of my friends have only just stopped disinfecting their daily shopping deliveries then quarantining it for 2 days in the garage

1 Like

The only thing that gets quarantined for 2 or more days in the garage are bottles of wine, and purely for space reasons.

I’m still here, have a weekly Morrison’s delivery, do not disinfect it and would prefer not to go out to a supermarket in any event.