How to phrase "eat what you want, don't take the piss"

Whoah! Guess it’s time to throw out that 6 month old Bernaise sauce!
(Just kidding :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Seriously though, I would never have known that pickled jalapeños expire. And green olives? I don’t think my martinis discriminate!

1 Like

Besides, if you’re letting your green olives expire, you’re clearly not drinking enough martinis.

3 Likes

Precisely!

If they are sealed, why would you think it’s tacky? Nothing wrong with leaving unopened food for guests, they might really appreciate having things to snack on, especially if they’ve just had a long journey and don’t feel like going out shopping, or even unpacking their car right away.

1 Like

I found a half liter bottle of organic apple juice in the back of my kitchen cupboard last week. The expiry date was 2014, I kid you not. I opened it, it smelled fine, and took a small sip to see if it made me feel ill. It didn’t, so after several hours I drank a glass of it. It was just fine.

3 Likes

But you never know- some guests might prefer the Doritos over the kettle cooked gourmet chips :stuck_out_tongue: But I do sort of get only wanting to have healthy, high quality items.
Interesting that your guests buy cheapo beer for themselves, but when they don’t have to pay extra for it, they’ll happily drink the craft beer you provide and leave you the crap.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your sensible perspectives.

I think @JJD answers this question in a similar mindset of mine.

“hard seltzer, wine coolers” evoke a different image than a bottle of wine; similarly a bag of Doritos is in contrast to the homemade bake goods I provide. I ideally want to curate the impression guests have of the accommodations but just don’t want to toss unopened (potentially welcomed) snacks.

1 Like

LOL! That is just GREAT. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

Not my problem. If they want a poor excuse for tortilla chips covered in orange slime made by an enormous coporation, they can go buy them themselves. I’m extremely accommodating, but not that accommodating. I am 100% more comfortable providing aspirin, booze, charcoal grills and a fire pit. :grin:

I understand that. And I used to give food that I didn’t want to homeless guys. But then I worked with a bunch of homeless guys and they complained a lot that “people think we will eat anything just because we’re homeless”. So…

I do get where you are coming from and I struggle with it. But, really, Doritos are not really food. They don’t offer any nutrition. Eating them is no less waste than throwing them out. It’s no different than eating something when you’ve already stuffed yourself to avoid wasting it. It’s still a waste either way, whether it stores as fat on your bottom or goes in the compost.

Not sure. These days, I suspect that we would only consider allowing sealed drinks (non-alcoholic) for the next guest. Even still, it just feels weird now.

Am I the only one who wonders why any guest would “take the piss”?

1 Like

Are you going George Carlin on this? You know, people say they are going to take a :poop:, when technically they leave one? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I found a jug of organic cider in the back of the fridge about a week after the guest left. A little bit of gassy poof when I opened it. It had fermented nicely. A pint of that had me nodding off. :wink:

1 Like

Sadly because this is what some of us have experienced on rare occasions.

As many know, I host in my home, with three lettable bedrooms on a B&B basis.

I have had guests help themselves to breakfast stuff in the middle of the night, raid our fridge and even have a fry up. I make it perfectly clear, both in my listing and on arrival, that my kitchen is not available for guests to use. They have ample drinks, tea and coffee etc in the dining room, along with a fridge for their own stuff.

The fry up guests got a shock, not realising that we have ultra sensitive smoke alarms, and were caught red handed at 2 am.

So, some guests do take the piss. Not everyone is as nice as we are!

2 Likes

I like saying that I’ve provided you with such and such. If you run out of anything you are welcome to use other items from our refrigerator and pantry, but please leave me a note if you use something up. Please do not take anything other than ice from the freezer. Thank you.

1 Like

If someone left an unopened bag of said chips, I would for sure leave them for the next guests - I’m not going to eat them, errr…usually. :sunglasses:

I’m not going to micromanage their eating habits. Come to think of it though, it’s the “covered in orange slime” part that now has me thinking…about guests’ grubby orange paws, leaving orange prints on everything in their wake. Ewww!

Reminds me of another thread about toddlers’ and Cheetos.

How about my freezer is full of roadkill that I use for taxidermy… please do not open :grin::grin:

8 Likes

@Helsi, without guests, I had the luxury of filling the AirBnb refrigerator’s freezer with frozen whole salmon until I can clear out space in the big freezer in the basement.

I’m not sure what a guest would think of the plastic tub of ikura (salmon caviar) that I made with the eggs from those fish…

2 Likes

If I found it, and I wouldn’t go looking, I would definitely take the piss, and probably eat the lot.

I wasn’t hungry until seeing your picture :upside_down_face:

1 Like