How to handle "smells like cats" review

I would avoid a listing that had a review that said it smelled like cats, I am sure I am not the only person that feels that way. Hopefully the review does get buried soon .

RR

RR

You’ve given this advice/opinion often in this forum but I honestly can’t seem to find much to support it.

Many hosts on here have reported guests leaving accidentally bad reviews by not understanding the ranking of the star ratings but have reported very little success with having those reviews removed. Even when the guests have called and specifically tried to rectify the situation.

And honestly saying “Well, I’ve read about it on miscellaneous forums” or whatever just doesn’t make it true.

Airbnb is very reluctant to remove any reviews once both parties have posted.

1 Like

I know they are very reluctant to remove reviews unless they obviously contravene policy. I would imagine that when it does happen, that the user just lucked out and got a helpful rep.

If @muddy or @JohnnyLounge21 want to take bets on whether the OP’s guest can get Airbnb to remove the review, I’m in.

1 Like

Haha, I’m not a betting kind of gal. And I never suggested she could or should try to get this review removed, nor ask the guest to try (which I think is out of line and unprofessional). Airbnb would just say it’s a reflection of the guest’s experience. I said responding to the review was about all she could do and that guests don’t believe every review they read as long as there are a number of good reviews.

I only mentioned a user being able to get their own review removed because I have read of that happening.

I have to honest, if a host started harassing me to remove a review in this fashion I would report them to the platform. I would never suggest doing this, even if the review was a flat out lie.

How you respond is the key. In the case where it could really put off future guests I’d suck it up like it was true and would do something to show I acted on the feedback. Such as…

“While we have not had cats and were unable to detect any cat odors, we have completed an extra deep cleaning and deodorizing just to be sure. We always strive to give our guests our very best and take all feedback seriously and act accordingly.”

@JAS, don’t worry. If you are desperate to push the review down the the stack you can run a couple of special offers to get some new bookings and then do a few extra unexpected gestures to encourage (no guarantees) great reviews. If you already have some stays scheduled then you’ll be okay soon.