How to deal with guests that expect to check-in way earlier than your listed check-in time

I already do this, even if people don’t ask, or before they do. I’ve become absolutely rigid after so many people telling me when they will arrive/leave. If they do ask, my latest phrase is that I have all the rooms to turn over,that morning and need a few hours of breathing space/family time before they can check-in. I don’t do the luggage thing either. People hiking the White Cliffs always want to, so I say they should travel light if they don’t have a car. Seems to work.

3 Likes

Awe Xena… see? The ones who ask for favors are always the least satisfied! I have had it happen too! Flights to Europe leave on the red eye from Kona for an overnight to LAX. One time I let some Germans stay until 9pm ish. They wanted another beach day! Well who wouldn’t.

My reward? Sand all over the place as they rushed home from the beach and a crack in the review about how the apartment was too cluttered and they didn’t have enough room in the closets.

That was it. Never again. Don’t wait for the never again moment. Make your rules firm now. Early check in and late check out don’t benefit you at all. Guests may not even really be covered by host guarantee if they are on your property any earlier or later, and they almost always always find something to nit pick about. Or deduct. Just say no all the time when they ask.

I do and haven’t looked back.

3 Likes

Yup, pearls of wisdom based on experience. “Early check in and late check out don’t benefit you at all.”

There are those who tout that we are primarily in the hospitality business, while others (ahem, me) look upon it as the value of my goods and services for cash business. At times, it appears that never the twain shall meet.

1 Like

If one says in their rules that “early and late check outs are available on request and for a fee” then the twain shall meet.

2 Likes

Precisely. That coincides with my thinking…and preferred practice.

1 Like

Yes me too and it just leads to more guest entitlement and review tantrums when they can’t get the next thing they want. I had a guest ask if they could check in ‘around 11am’ on Sunday. I messaged them back to say on this occasion I can offer you an early check in free of charge at 11.30am. This seemed to provoke a more respectful and appreciative reply from him.

1 Like