How Scottish Police helped Airbnb owner with additional guests

“We called the police and when they arrived the people still weren’t back. The police asked if we wanted them to deal with it and we said we would, it wouldn’t get out of hand.”

A police spokesperson said: “We received a report of a large group who were refusing to leave a property in Glen Etive.

“Officers attended, spoke to those involved and the group were dispersed.”

No messing about, and having had a lot of contact with Police in that area due mountain rescue work a few years ago, if they say you have to leave, it’d be a brave guest who refused.

JF

10 Likes

Glad to hear the police helped on this occasion.

I do wonder why hosts with remote properties like this don’t have CCTV so they can monitor their properties to ensure more guests don’t come onto the property then have booked, to avoid this sort of situation.

1 Like

That’s more or less the first thing I thought too. And why people with a house big enough to sleep eight people don’t even have a co-host in a neighbouring property.

It makes me chuckle a bit when I think that most people wouldn’t lend a stranger their car but are quite happy to let strangers into their property with no cameras or co-host

2 Likes

The answer is simple. Not everywhere has internet connections. Not all AirBnBs do. I know several hosts who are not on the grid. One of them has an arrangement so someone in the village across the inlet will call the host on CB radio (yes, it still exists), and it’s about a 10 minute boat ride away. There are large parts of Alaska that have no cell service. I’ve been to the Highlands, and the topography is the same type of post-glacier 800+ meter granite mountains as we have here in coastal Alaska. Cell service needs line of sight.

2 Likes

That maybe the case here but in many cases I have seen of hosts complaining about parties, they are in cities in the west including New York, San Fran, London, Dublin, Paris and Barcelona.