How much will business drop after summer

The market is still a mystery to me. I was so busy for the month of October, had -almost 40 total days from 2 rooms occupied. Now beginning of November, not a single reservation. We have boat show this weekend, hotels skyrocketed their prices unbelievable and 70% is booked in Fort Lauderdale in all price ranges. I am the only instant book available in Fort Lauderdale in my price range for a night, and still no bookings.

Yana, donā€™t worryā€¦ November and even early December can be dead zones for tropical destinations. People have not really started booking their holiday travel. And sometimes they do it at the last minute as airfare sales happen.

1 Like

For the first time all year, my bookings have dropped off too. Iā€™m only about 50% of my average bookings for Nov, and December is wide open. When I put Dec dates in, all the other listings in my hood pop up as available so I know itā€™s a general thing and nothing about my listing specificallyā€¦ Who would think no one would want to visit Chicago in Dec? : ) Iā€™m surprised itā€™s so dead in Fl and HI too but itā€™s true that I book my winter trips in relation to airfare sales so maybe Kona is on to something there.

1 Like

Chicago, living in Kona for more than 23 years, Iā€™m used to watching what times of year the airfare sales happen. They are generally right after Labor Day, the in between times from here to TG and then from to December 15. We then have a million snowbirds land in town and most are gone after the first of the year. Many travel her from Europe in January and February.

Put an easier way, whenever school is IN, the fares are down. When itā€™s out, they go up!! For the first time ever, this year however, Alaska had cheap fares to California in summer. Kona is wet and muggy in summer and anyone who can leave does. This year was the worst weather Iā€™ve seen in all my years here. We had 15 named hurricanes, flash floods, a and a tsunami watch. And it was hotter than Hades. Thank god, the weather is cooling down!

Winter time brings humpback whales, starry skies, cool temperatures and sweet weather. Itā€™s so lovely.

I finally got booked a bit for a boat show. Raised rates just a little bit
What i see by hotels prices, itā€™s still very slow until 3 rd week of December, then the jump is very sharp up with holidays and until beginning of April.
I wonder though why I am never booked ahead of time. With me itā€™s always either the same day arrival or within the most 2 days.
My friend is being booked for February already.

When would you say is the best time to visit Hawaii then?

1 Like

Yes, I need to know this question to:)

KJā€¦ Depends on the island. Kona is the only island to really get a ā€œwetā€ muggy season. Maui and Oahu usually have nice weather year round, although this summer was hot, wet and miserable for all islands due to constant hurricanes skittering around.

Right now the weather is GORGEOUSā€¦ So from now until the end of May or so would be considered our PEAK season!

These are photos shot at my house on Christmas Day and Eve of last year.

And hereā€™s a shot of one of our most beautiful beaches in January.

1 Like

Oh my god, them pictures are beautifulā€¦Do you do house swaps? lol

1 Like

very jealous right now!!

1 Like

Yet I am forever a 4.5 host and donā€™t have five stars on Location and Value!!!

You know what guests can be like though so donā€™t worry about that!

1 Like

Hehe, if they give you 4* for location then I should get 1*. I showed the pictures to my husband and he said letā€™s go to Hawaii. He also thinks you are undercharging for a separate appartment with a million $ view.
We have no views, few miles from the beach and our location is marked 40% of the time 4*. In my opinion location rating should be coming from on how accurately it was described , not how well it suited a guest. Of course to be on a Beach is much more beautifull and convenient but people donā€™t want to pay the high price of these accommodations.So, they choose my house based on their budget but still rate me lower because I am not beach front??
I would understand if my price was the same as beach front rooms but itā€™s much lower.

1 Like

Yana, Thank you so much! I wish I could! But the downside of my place is that it is rural (some might consider that an upside)ā€¦itā€™s 45 minutes from the nearest main town, and 12 miles from the nearest town with food, gas, etcā€¦ soā€¦ I canā€™t really charge more than $99 on average. There are entire houses in this subdivision that rent for $130-140! So sometimes I feel like Iā€™m gouging them!

Hi - Iā€™m new to airbnb and would like to see the stats on Grand Junction, Colorado. Thanks, Julia Widdop