How much will business drop after summer

I never rented to Canadians, and my rates will go so much higher during season that I doubt I will have any. Plus I don’t do long terms and people from Canda ussualy come here for a few months.

Canadians have always been among my best guests! Although I did have a coupe of stinkers. People are people everywhere. Some will be great, others not so much,

@Yana_Agapova - that’s average occupancy. If you only received one booking, you should definitely be reducing your price as others definitely are since it’s slow season.

Airbnb recommends 37$ a night which does not even make any sense. After 2 people take showers, using my shampoo and soap, toilet paper, drinking coffee, tea with lemon and honey, some despite the fact that I don’t offer breakfast still ask for food. After I do their laundry, using detergent, water and electricity and then an hour of my time to clean after them, does it make any sense to those who read it to rent out at all??
Business has to make sense and be profitable. To rent it for so little is not a good business but a joke.
Price for my room is 55$ now, it’s about 20% less than the cheapest hotel with horrible reviews in bad area. And I
I price it so low only because of the low season. I would rather wait and rent it for half of the months then put such a ridiculous price

Yana… I wouldn’t be concerned so much with comparing your Air rental to a hotel. Guests coming to you are looking for different things than are offered at a hotel. I’d say $55 is very fair. Raise it as the high season starts getting more booked. That’s the beauty of the Air calendar.

I cannot compare myself to a hotel because firstly, there are none out here where I live, and secondly, it is an entirely different experience to go to a hotel that has a pool and other facilities. BTW, many hotels are now charging what they call resort fees (parking and wif-fi@ $30 per day, mandatory.) so take that into account as well in terms of pricing. I guess I could compare myself to the nearest hostel 12 miles away which is $89 for shared bath and kitchen, and located in a very unscenic spot right along the busy highway.

1 Like

I guess am judging by how I booked as a guest. I am like you would rather stay in a hotel. So, I check hotels first and then go for Airbnb.,I just came back from New Orleans where I stayed in Hyatt for 63$ a night, and then last day in Hilton for 75$. It’s pretty dead for them too, as it can ever be for New Orleans as streets are full of people, so prices for hotels are so low.
I raised my prices already and someone booked for 6 days at 65$. ( finally). For the season until end of march i put 89$, let’s see what happens. This will be my first high season.

1 Like

@Yana_Agapova just for the record Australians and New Zealanders absolutely HATE to tip as well… so its not inclusive to Canadians!

The whole world doesn’t tip as much as In US. I am not saying it only Canadians.?Many nations do not understand why tipping is nesessary if a person is paid a salary. The story with Canadians is different. They come to Hollywood year after year. On Hollywood beach all we hear is French. There are even signs everywhere in French. They know the tip system here by now , but still choose not to tip. That’s why all restaurants started including tip in checks

You can go higher as the high season begins Yana… If you are getting really really booked, jack up the price! Especially for the holiday week. I have a minimum seven day holiday block at Christmas and New Years… because in the past I have had guests break up Christmas week, making part of it completely unrentable. (Or worse, forcing me to work on Cmas or Cmas Eve). Also… if I’m going to have to deal with strangers coming and going on my property during that Most Wonderful Time of the Year, they’re going to pay for the privilege. :slight_smile: I jack up my nightly to $120… It’s crazy and expensive but try finding a hotel ANYWHERE in Hawaii at Christmas that is under $400 – and you won’t.

That’s the beauty of the Air calendar. It can be adjusted daily. Love it.

2 Likes

Kona, I reduced my prices for nly reason, South Florida was empty and competition let me stay not rented for weeks. As soon as I dropped to 55$ I am getting booked but anyway not 100%.
October was still a very slow zmonth. And judging by November prices it still will be very slow here. People are getting ready to travel from North when it gets really cold there, so for right now I only get US guests who come here for business or an event.
I am planning to raise my prices to 89$. I don’tknow how it will work though for the pick season. I am still comparing to hotels, and can see the cheapest hotels are around 100$ mark for now.
We have brand new Margaritaville build on Hollywood beach which is 10 min.drive from me, so that’s another attraction added.
I am excited about my first pick season.

1 Like

I’m in Ireland and business is booming all year round, even in winter. We actually have to block of some days or we’d be booked up every night of the week!

1 Like

Sunshine… that’s to me a sure sign your prices are too low!!! Try raising them and see what happens! Just for kicks. :slight_smile:

I’m busy in November but have nothing in December except for the end of the month… which is fine because I’m getting a remodel done upstairs and need to move downstairs and use that kitchen while this is going on.

Yana, I think you’ll be easily able to get $89 if you are close to Florida beaches. They don’t start booking for peak winter season until airfare sales start and when the cold drives them out. Last year I was backed-to-back booked from December through May and it was profitable but stressful. And hard on the the apartment. Truth told, I just want enough to pay my mortgage, and don’t need to be that booked.

I do:). I want to make it my income and what I projected it will be not bad salary for me. Now i work with my husband side by side and it gets…annoying… To say the least : :smirk:

1 Like

LOL!! Yana!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I hear you!!! I’m sure your husband is wonderful most of the time. As for me, I am soooooooo glad to be divorced! I am the gay (meaning HAPPY) divorcée!! :smile: :smile:

How Lui said: why people think that divorce is a sad event? If it was sad, no one would do it!!
Yes, he is a sweetheart, but to be even with a sweetest man 24 hours a day is not good for relationship, hehe.

I don’t know how I didnt start Airbnb earlier, since I knew about it for such a long time. But as they say: things come alone on their own term.

1 Like

When I first mentioned I was getting a divorce, friends would say, “Oh very sorry!” And i would correct them…“No, instead say congratulations!!! Get the champagne out! I’m FREE!”
:slight_smile:

1 Like

We went totally off the topic here, but I so agree with you. I remember when I got rid of my first boyfriend which was dragging forever to the point that the first thing that came to my mind when I was waking up in a morning is all sorts of ideas on how to break up with him, I felt such relief and wanted to celebrate. Friends and family were telling me that they never saw me so happy even when I met him and thought he was the one :grinning:

1 Like

More OT: Thank god you didn’t marry him, and waited for the right one! Divorce is an expensive headache that on average reduces your net worth by a staggering 70%! It takes signing one piece of paper to get married but an average of 1,000 papers in an EASY uncontested divorce to get unhooked! Suzie Orman says it is a business partnership, and she is so right… it is… always get a pre-nup or have some kind of contract set up for how you will settle things in the event that it goes south. And the chances are good it could.

I lucked out in that he agreed to mediation and we banged out the details in a mediation room. At the time it was amicable. We created a divorce degree, filed it ourselves and didn’t pay a cent. He signed off on the house as it was a negative asset in 2010. I’m still now just barely above water. All he wanted was the WalMart patio set. Sure, you can have that. Let me help you load it in your truck!!! :slight_smile: :smile:

2 Likes

I charge around £48 a night or in holiday months such as Dec I put prices up to around £50-£55 a night. I think its quite reasonable, not to dear, not to cheap. Most of the ones in my area are cheaper, i would be among a few whos prices are higher, but I think as I’m in the City Centre its justified. I’d love to double my money a night, but I dopnt think that would happen unless i let the whole apt lol :wink: