How much does Indian food smell matter to others?

Instead of focusing on “curry”, can’t you just say ban the preparation of strong-smelling food that have odors that linger? (E.g. Strong spices, garlic, frying oil, etc.)

1 Like

What foods are strong smelling is subjective. To me, curry smells wonderful, but Lean Cuisine frozen meals smell nasty.

2 Likes

True, it’s subjective (hence providing a list of potential examples) but the focus should be on the word “lingering.” It’s one thing if a food is fragrant and wonderful, but I doubt you want to be smelling it three days later.

I cook with what I assume you are calling strong spices (cumin, coriander, turmeric, etc.), garlic, onions and olive or sunflower oil daily. The smells never linger. However, when guests cook bacon I have to scrub down the range hood, clean the range and wash the screen for the range hood.

You just need to use a live microbial agent , its available in the hardware store . You can ask all guests that when they cook with strong spices or strong smelling foods to use it as an odor eater or treatment spray so that there is no long term cook smells . Simple Green makes an airspray . You can also do a google search for a Live Microbial Agent . Strong odors tend to really permeate into the walls and floors , so unless you plan to strip down the walls and floors between guests , you’ll want to make sure you have a good Vent Fan and a Odor neutralizer to use .

I doubt that machine would be that effective because the problem is that the cooking odors are carried into the air in a mixture of oil and water vapor. Those two things get absorbed deeply into all surfaces and stay there for long periods of time. Also, after time these odors change and become sour, stale and funky, which isn’t the same amazing smell as fresh turmeric, coriander and cumin wafting through the air.

You need to wipe down all surfaces several times, shampoo carpets and maybe even repaint. Personally I love the odor. I use tons of spice when I cook. My last housemate threatened to make me pay for his dry cleaning bill because his suits smelled like curry!

Pardon my rambling, but the Indian spice smell is going to be a big issue for some guests and may drive them away. I know friends who have a very strong dislike of Indian food.

You’ll probably be OK with doing a vinegar wash down, opening windows and getting some eucalyptus sprigs.

You are right about the ozone generator. We used it for days and days after our Indian guests, to no availe - and I shampooed the carpet.

Those ozone things are not much good. Maybe a little placebo effect?

I used to have a time with some guests and their perfumes/lotions etc. that would linger for days on end and drive me crazier. I’d have to spray (vinegar/alcohol with a drop of dish soap) on all the door knobs, chair arms, floors, and drag a wet towel over certain areas of the carpet. It worked.

Now one of my house rules is: no perfumes or cologne or strong smelling lotions pleeze :slight_smile: I’ve actually gotten guests who mentioned they chose my place because of the no scent rule.

Incidentally, your post inspired me to drive to our local Little India and have masala dosa for lunch. It was so good. I was also out of whole cumin seeds so I bought a big bag.

2 Likes

I am so glad your Indian guests did not stay more than week. If you still have a slight scent since February, I cannot imagine what it would be like if you happened to have them in for a month.

This is yet another reason why I have no desire to rent longer than one week to each guest

Yes! But, to be clear, we did enjoy getting to know them. The dad was home with the baby while the mom attended a conference. He shared freely about his cast, their ‘arranged’ marriage, their differences in casts, and life in India. They cooked for us on the last night. Left their bathrobes disgusting as well as some towels - I don’t think they’ve ever had to worry about it as they have people who take care of them when in India. Hosting is such a great learning experience!

1 Like

Yes indeed:) Hosting reminds me an old saying about potato, egg and coffee and hot water (not sure if i already mentioned it here). If you put egg in hot water, it becomes hard, potato becomes soft, but coffee changes the water and makes a wonderful drink out of it. I guess we all should aim for being a coffee:)

2 Likes

That’s truly a wonderful saying. I’m going to teach it to my kids!! I’ve not heard it before.

1 Like

I’ve never had anyone cook with curry although I’ve added it as a house rule because I have carpeting and furnishings, and after reading horror stories here. “No cooking of strong ethnic foods such as curry due to lingering and damaging odors.” I don’t think that constitutes discrimination, just common sense. :smiley:

I do get people cooking fish in the apartment and that is a super funky smell that is pretty sickening the next day. It doesn’t last long or linger fortunately. I wish they would just use the BBQ!

Maybe we could suggest using this… :smile:

2 Likes

I love hard cooked eggs and lovely soft potatoes. Coffee is good too. I don’t get the saying at all :smile:

Oh yes! And some of those frozen dinners actually smell like dog food.

1 Like

they comparing hot water to life situations. Some people crush under pressure and become soft and give up, some become harsh and unforgiving, but some (coffee) make the best out of a situation and make it work

1 Like

Sorta like “when life gives you lemons”.

When life gives you lemons …Put 9 in a bowl ! :joy::joy:***

1 Like

I like that idea. But my retort is always: “THROW THEM BACK!” :slight_smile:

1 Like