How many don't provide a kitchen?

Actually, @konacoconutz has a tank! But I think she is clear that her water is not potable. I do make a point of letting my guests know that our water is superb; no reason to buy water while you are staying in our city. Some well systems have water that is either not safe or tastes awful. I would expect a host to let me know about this preferably in advance so I would know to stock up before arriving.

I have a tank too but I allow kitchen access with lovely nice fresh water so it’s not an issue for me personally. But still many guests insist on buying bottled water. It frustrates me hugely because it’s so destructive, horribly wasteful and damaging to the environment. I’m seriously considering a surcharge if they bring in bottled water. It costs my local council to recycle these needless plastic bottles, therefore my taxes will increase, therefore my prices will increase.

From a study, granted it’s 7 years old now but surely things have only got worse given the increase in bottled water use:

“Calculating the energy costs of making the plastic bottles, processing the water that goes into them and cleaning, filling, sealing, labelling and transporting them to market, the researchers concluded that satisfying the annual global demand for bottled water consumed the energy equivalent of about 160 million barrels of oil – up to 2,000 times the energy required to produce the equivalent volume of tap water.”

1 Like

It’s an American thing. Once I was traveling with a friend and went to get water to drink from a bathroom not from
Kitchen And she said: eew, you drinking bathroom water?? I said: it’s the same water as in a kitchen. She goes: yeah but still it’s “bathroom water”. :joy:

This is the first time I have heard this protest, so I don’t think saying it is an American thing is accurate.

But @Yana, surely you of all people are aware of the plumbing situations in countries outside America? Or do you mean that you forgot you weren’t in America?
Also, I refuse to believe that all American houses have bathrooms where the water is connected directly to the main supply. Is there a plumber on here??

I have lived in this country for my whole life. I have lived in New York, Massachusetts, Texas, Montana, North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, Vermont, and New Hampshire and I have never been a in a home where the bathroom is not connected directly to the main.

1 Like

@Magwitch. But, if it is okay, please tell me more about tank systems. How does the water get into the tank? Is it a water collection system? I assume that the tank is upstairs so that it is feeding the house via gravity? Where these systems used originally to bring water to the entire home or always just the bathroom? Why were they not modernized– money, convenience, tradition?

I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t really know. I tried googling ‘traditional plumbing uk’ and just got a zillion pages of adverts for expensive Victorian-style baths and various accoutrements. Sorry.

Shoot. This is the kind of stuff I love to know about! Why? Just raw curiosity.

Plumbing situation in European countries is the same as in US. It’s safe to drink water from bathroom sink or kitchen as there is no difference . But Americans are so preoccupied with germs and so silly about the super hygiene issue as nowhere in a world. I just sometime think of how fragile this nation is with all this nonsense about super cleanliness and … germs . I ate from street vendors in third world countries and nothing ever happened to me
and my “precious” stomach . I wonder why, may be because I drink "bathroom water":joy::joy:?

1 Like

My listing doesn’t offer a kitchen either. I make sure it is very clear in the listing, however. I find that guests like the idea of cooking more so than cooking itself, especially when they are on vacation. So it hasn’t really been a problem. I make sure I mention it to guests before they book (at inquiry) so if it’s an issue they just don’t book. However, guests can and have made meals in my apartment using the hot water kettle, toaster oven, rice cooker and microwave.

i don’t provide access to the oven or stove. My insurer won’t permit it. I love it!

i accommodate professionals, not vacationers. They have in-room microfridge, microwave, kettle, coffeemaker, etc. and they can use the kitchen for just about anything, including the rice cooker, slow cooker, and even the gas bbq. (They never do).

They love the Brita water, water flavour enhancers, and fresh fruit I bring in.

Some of the guests, such as medical residents, are extremely busy. i mean, 36 hour shifts.I have frozen poached chicken breasts, meatballs, fresh salad, and the odd bit of ice cream for me - and for them “as a gesture of goodwill”.

Food is cheap here and it’s really no bother. They rarely use it, preferring pizza, but it’s there if they need it.

Always nice to see the word ‘repulsive’, with regards to my listing/home. Ellen tells it like it is, and I’m sure we respect her for that.