How long to reply?

You wanted to make sure that you are messaging them ASAP. Look into automated messaging tools to help as your response time also affects your listing.

That means they canā€™t ever IB? I didnā€™t think it mattered unless the host has the requirement that the guest be recommended by other hosts and you have said you have no IB requirements.

I donā€™t knowā€¦ I donā€™t have a lot of data because I donā€™t get that many RTBs vs. inquiries or instant bookings.

Next time I have RTB, I will investigate.

I can imagine itā€™s difficult to juggle your work priorities with your personal life, but honestly, running an Airbnb should mean that you are very accessible to your guests. If you are out of commission eight hours a day, for example, how do you handle emergencies?

I agree, luckily I get out of work at 2:30 and so far most issues have ocurred at night. I check my phone at 6:45 am when I get to the parking lot and then again at 2:30. Once Iā€™m home I keep the phone nearby.

Iā€™m a high school teacher and it drives me crazy when students are on their phones during class. Therefore, I leave mine in the car so that students canā€™t say to me ā€œbut you have your phoneā€ when I ask them to put away theirs.

Weā€™re on IB, too, and got a lot of RTBā€™s for awhile. Two reasons - COVID and kids.
Due to government regulations during COVID, we had to cancel several guests. I was able to get an admin cancel so it didnā€™t hit our metrics, but ABB put us on RTB for a few months after we reopened.
Since I have ā€œnot suitable for childrenā€ checked, people with kids have to RTB instead of IB.

leaving a phone on silent in your bag so you can see a text during a break could save your home from a flood (for example).

Andā€¦ I suggest that you take more control of your students. You are the authority figure and they d not have the same rights as you do in the class.

You really have no idea what managing a high school classroom is like do you? And this kind of casual disrespect for our jobs is one part of what is driving teachers out of the field.

Why canā€™t you make your point about managing an airbnb listing without being insulting? For someone who is always wagging their finger at members about being ā€œpassive aggressive,ā€ you have a lot of nerve.

4 Likes

What a rude and ignorant statement. An authority figure is supposed to set an example. One teaches good behavior by modelling it, not by strong arming it.
ā€œItā€™s okay for me to do this annoying thing, but not okay for you toā€ is a great way to lose respect.

2 Likes

I have perfect control of my classroom. For me, itā€™s a matter of fairness. I canā€™t ask them to refrain from using their cellphones if Iā€™m using mine. Thatā€™s unfair. In my classroom itā€™s all about respect for each other. Using my cellphone while teaching would disrespect my students. They deserve 100% of my attention.

2 Likes

None at all? What about inquiries? Would you rather not get them too?

I use IB but often get inquiries and questions.

1 Like

Inquiries donā€™t block the calendar so I donā€™t mind it.

I love inquiries as they give me the data to raise rates.

So do I as they are a great sales opportunity. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was replying to the specific thing you said about the students telling you ā€˜but you have your phoneā€™.

One answer to this is ā€œYes I do. But notice I am not on it or checking it. Having my phone with me is not equivalent.ā€

That was actually a ā€œwhat ifā€ example; if I had my cellphone students would probably point out that I had my phone. I avoid that scenario by simply leaving it in my car.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply to my question.

1 Like