How far would you go to cater to a lucrative demanding repeat guest?

Yes, what is it with people who do that? The guest I’ve been complaining about does that…why? The bedroom is upstairs and there’s no TV in it—whereas there is a very comfortable couch and big screen TV in the living room right next to the dining room and kitchen. I totally don’t get the eating in the bedroom thing, especially when the bedroom is upstairs. :woman_shrugging: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It simply says Blade-Tech on the small pocket it came in, and on the gadget itself. It consists of two small rectangular bits of steel, riveted into a flat plastic handle.

I couldn’t find it on Amazon under that name. I have another look later.

@Keugenia I’m from Texas and learned to just call it out. I say, “Do you want to be right or do want to sleep in the bed tonight?” Lol. My husband is a sweetheart, so it’s only used as a joke but I do use it. :wink:

1 Like

Best of luck on the surgery!! :balloon::blossom:

and

Do the damn the exercises. Seriously. The surgery is useless without them. :hearts:
(I’m a therapist ,)

2 Likes

I agree. Is she paying more than any other guest? If she’s paying your standard rate and you could , then there’s no reason to cater to her and I’d take the chance at waiting for another booking. She sounds like an absolute PITA.

1 Like

That’s so funny! I’ve been following this thread with interest although I didn’t post. Kudos to you for not getting riled by some of the responses. I particularly like your post about your cleaner. She sounds a gem and they are hard to find. I was one for a while (cleaner/co-host) but the owner was so arrogant and difficult to work with - I quit a few weeks ago. I know that her regular DIY man has also told her where to go recently. Treat people like shit and they will hate you, stop taking any care at best, sabotage your property/business at worst, and eventually they will leave. I don’t understand how rich people can be so stupid sometimes.

3 Likes

your repeat guest causes you stress, aggravation and money each time she books. You have to decide if it’s all worth the rental fee. I have two groups of guests that I will never allow back at my rental.
It’s ok to decide someone is just not worth it. It’s your home! Do what feels right to you.

1 Like

I live in NYC where demand is pretty high, so I would never host a guest again who annoyed me in the slightest. That said, all of her requests (beside the garbage incinerator) are things that I, as a guest would hope for, as well.
I never actually leave those requests in the comments because I hate conflict / complaining, but I wouldn’t rebook an airbnb that didn’t have sharp knives, comfortable bedding, or a place to sit in the backyard.

I don’t know if other guests complain about the bedding, but you could always get a duvet and duvet cover, as the cover is easy to pop in the wash with the sheets.

I think many of the above responses provide good perspective.

I personally appreciate when guests provide suggestions or private input. Many I’ve implemented and if there’s something wrong (i.e. dull knives) it’s welcomed so I can correct for next guest. There have been a few that I’ve not implemented because they are either unique to one guest (sports channels), more complicated than I want to support (i.e. ALEXA smart speaker), or cause for additional ongoing expense (i.e. pool heater)

Without stereotyping any one profession, I have noticed that the few MD’s I’ve hosted have been more maintenance & demanding than others. In contrast, the times I’ve hosted nurses they were clean and self sufficient. I think it just emanates from how they handle themselves at work and what they expect from others.

With that in mind, sometimes they have no clue as to what they are saying or doing wrong, so if you do want to continue with this guest, I think she is due some constructive advice on those major annoyances: Provide some polite requests about cleaning based on what your cleaner has described. Best case, she realizes and learns. Worst case, if she’s not compliant, maybe that’s the time to pull the plug.

5 Likes

I’m sensing this doesn’t feel right to you. Maybe look through the lens of what is most respectful and true to yourself - it could be the repeat business or it could be to take your 2700 bucks and run. I am brand new at this, so I am no expert at all… but sharing my space with other people (spaces I don’t live in, but still, my space that I’ve worked on and cared for) who don’t give a sh#t and aren’t respectful and are entitled would eat away at me…

You tube has alot of info. Knife sharpening too. I think it’s reasonable to at least have sharp knives as a staple in the kitchen.

Joan, could you provide a link to it? I tried searching on Amazon but found only one product, which did not have a picture (only of the “sheath,” not the sharpener). And no reviews. So I’m nervous about buying it, despite your glowing review here because I’m not sure I’m on the same thing. And from what you say, I think I’d really like to have one.

You buy new dish towels for each guest? I must be on the wrong forum.

2 Likes

was being silly, a misjudged mocking. Obviously daft, I thought. My apologies.
Pet peeve of mine

Has anyone asked if you’ve spoken to her agency, @Keugenia? Can you contact them? Explain that you want to keep their business and are implementing guest suggestions, but this MD causes extra hours of cleaning due to the messes. Don’t mention her longlong list of “suggestions,” just the mess, added cleaning times, and how you can get more of their business.

Doctors are used to giving punch lists of “improvements” even when none are needed. Don’t ask me how I know this! :wink:

I’d probably take the money. Maybe.

1 Like

I’ve looked but can’t find the link I’m afraid. We’ve had it for about three years, so maybe no longer available.

You can probably search your order history.

First off… wow that kitchen set up looks awesome!! No wonder she comes back…
A few suggestions IMO if you are going to host her again.

Kitchen linen. The kitchen towels are lovely, I see why you have chosen those colours!
Consider getting black kitchen towels specifically for this guest. They would not clash with your decor and one peeve out of the way for you.

Comfortor suggestion. Maybe guest meant to say “duvet”. I have duvets in all my rooms. The duvet covers are easy to wash and get cleaned after every stay. Microfibre duvet covers are working well in my situation. With a pattern to conceal stains. They are super light. Easy removal, wash and dry.
( have to admit I am switching to light blankets next summer season though as guests crank my A/C and get cosy under the fluffy duvets.)

Knives. As some previous hosts suggest. Get them sharpened. My knife block is not pretty, not a matching set but the knives are razor sharp. Done with an an old fashioned sharpening stone.

For the coin I would host this lady again and bonus your fabulous cleaner.

Thanks for the tip! Mr Joan has just done this and found that it’s a UK product, so would have to be bought from Amazon.co.uk., rather than .com.

Full title is Blade Tech Bladetech Knife & Tool Sharpener.

Hope this helps. I have the full web thingummy but not currently able to cut and paste…

1 Like