How do you handle not great reviews for guests?

Yeah, that’s quite disrespectful in such a housing situation.

Then it was a violation of the house rules and that’s bad. Tell it like it is. Hosts everywhere will be grateful!

2 Likes

I’m in the position of needing to review guests who left as great friends but that I would NEVER EVER want to rent to again - even if I would love to see them again.

I’m working on something like “These guests introduced us to Indian culture - every morning they filled our home with their fragrant, spicy cooking and sounds of their special language…”.

And yes, I AM still trying to get the smell out, and YES, Yana, Kona and others DID tell me so…

But they were super-nice people, and cooked for us on the last night. It just wasn’t the best situation, except, the money was very good.

1 Like

Fragrant anything early in the morning would be a good reason to run.

1 Like

Which is what I’m hoping to convey, of course, without offending them. It’s just the truth. Of course, some hosts may think “Yum, c’mon in!!”

And, I revised my rules. This is the group that I said in advance ‘no cologne’. Should have been ‘no cologne, no curry’.

1 Like

Poor Kona! I think that Alberta witch scarred you for life.

2 Likes

Seriously!!! Like you know how on some level abuse victims believe their abusers?

Last year was my first as a host back in UK so I began with no reviews as a host. Weirdly, my first 6 or 8 bookings were all new guests with no reviews. I took them all and didn’t regret any of them, even the solo guy, that as a single woman I was a bit wary of initially. I am sure there are horror stories, but they are very few and far between and the experience was really good for both sides. We both learned on the job so to speak! I think it is important to host new users as it helps the community grow, and without them all the new hosts will have nothing to do!

I’m with you 100%. My very first booking, before the ink was dry on the listing, was a very young man from France traveling with two young women. New to airbnb and didn’t even have a photo. He was a total prince. Alerted me with one of the ladies had a little accident on the bedding, took out the trash when leaving, wrote me a thank-you note. I think the ‘newbies’ are excited and happy to being trying this new airbnb thing - and so relieved when it works out - that they are happy and pleasant.

Also, I’ve said it before, I joined airbnb in 2012 looking for a place in Shanghai. It didn’t work out and I forgot about airbnb until 2015. I’m thankful my host didn’t look at that fact and turn me down. She accepted my family of 5 and was an amazing host. She is my muse, lol, I think of her so often when I’m dealing with guests. She just conveyed the most awesome sense of welcome.

i think you guys misunderstood my post. i do commonly host new users, but thanks for the advice from all that i should do so. my comment was that if i learn that someone has stayed on airbnb, they mention it in the email they have used the site and they dont have a reference, especially if its in my own town, thats when i consider it a danger sign and dont accept the booking… we all have our own way of doing things and following our own intuition… this works for me and i dont have a shortage of bookings.

2 Likes

The party bus will be pulling up outside your home shortly. Two for two on that situation when accepting locals with no reviews.

Hey kona, purely out of curiosity, why would you wait until last minute to post a review if you don’t have any reason to think they will leave a bad one themselves? Am fairly green!

Ach! Just saw the post about guest - sorry, asked and answered!

1 Like

Ok I’ve been scanning this forum for a couple of weeks now and the witch keeps popping up! And now I need to sate my curiosity - have you got a link to the thread on her? Dying to know!

1 Like

LOL!!! I’m totally obsessed aren’t I??? I think if you click on me and go through the older posts you will find the ghastly feedback (screenshot) that she left. I posted it somewhere. I believe that she stayed here in October or November 2015. Horrible woman, but just came across as eccentric while here…Once she left a review, i was in for the shock of my life! It just said “K made us feel welcome.” And then went on the flog me abusively in the private feedback.

Therapy twice a week has been helping, LOL.

(P.S. Her husband was missing some teeth and they stole my shampoo and bug spray! Left wet towels on upholstered furniture… etc. Oddballs with a sadistic side.)

1 Like

So she wanted coffee and you had none?, and she could not threw away her garbage at your property? How giant was the bag? Like the black garbage bag? And why would you not want to put it in your garbage bin? It did not fit?
Just curious