How do you deal with it when you really DON'T like these guests

Given that and the guy’s fidgeting, I’m thinking that he was cranked up on meth. Seems like meth behavior. Either that, or he’s bipolar and was in the manic (as in always moving and never sleeping) phase.

1 Like

@Keugenia: Same here. Light switches in weird places, old home with quirks.
@shadowmnt: I have had that a few times, too, that things were in weird places and it was a fun game to figure out why. People do rearrange furniture to suit themselves, which is fine, but sometimes …

Could I see your listing? We also have some safari tents with composting toilets. I do not have instant booking on so I can chat with guests to make sure they ‘can handle it’. Some struggle to make a fire or light the gas stove, another whipped out his own 2x3 solar panel, 3 ways to start a fire by hand and an axe. I want to find out what kind they are so my talk is not condescending or overly long. https://airbnb.com/h/camp-wexford

1 Like

My older home has light switches in all kinds of strange places. Several switches just go to wall plugs, but some are in a different room from the light they work. The laundry room light switch is by the back door. To turn on the light in the kitchen two switches must both be in the on position - if either is off, it won’t work. I have an entire bank of five switches on one wall that don’t go to anything at all.

When I moved into the house the “breaker panel” was still an old style screw-in fuse box. I had to have it rewired and they had to put the breaker panel outside.

I put labels on all of the switches so people know which switch works which light, and which must stay on all of the time. It seems to work because I’ve received no complaints yet.

1 Like

I’m tired because I ‘overthink a guest’? Really? I was tired because I had 4 couples in 8 days. Period. Something I never do because I schedule not too…Along with daily farm duties. Perhaps one should try and understand another’s lifestyle and responsibilities before judging. My being tired had nothing to do with their behavior. I am never anything but welcoming and cordial no matter how I feel. They were creepy. And left the cabin true to form.
And I hardly think that others are thinking about ME, that seems a bit condescending. I am quite capable of seeing what is before me and making a judgement about it’s intent, having been dealing with people in business for about 45 years. You develop a gut instinct, and I was not able to convey it well here. You had to BE there to get it. 'Nuff said.

Sorry i dont see the problem ?

1 Like

I never said it was problem…repeatedly…posted to see if anyone else had weird guest stories like this…updated as I found more curious things. Odd or creepy people are not a ‘problem’. Just interesting.

The label maker is my friend!

2 Likes

I just found out the light switch for my in pool light is in my living room. Yep, time to pull out the label maker.

2 Likes

Personally, I really think this was staged to annoy you. I’ve never had anything like this happen personally. Maybe the random dish not placed exactly where it belonged? I’m not sure if the detractors are not reading everything you are saying, but it’s bizarre. They must have spent a lot of time placing things in random hiding spots. And since they were not “dirty” otherwise, but kept the place neat, this obviously was just to mess with you.

3 Likes

:upside_down_face: Yep, thanks for reading it all and getting the same message…and it hits ya right away…Turned into an amusing treasure hunt as I went back each day for sure! (Sure felt good to not have to hurry the clean up finally!)
And if that’s the worst I experience, then I’m blessed! I think the clock being turned ahead 2.5 hours was the final ha ha…Am not sure what to do if I am ever confronted with someone who is obviously ‘on’ something…Meth seems so common even in what we used to call the ‘middle class’…Hopefully I’ll never have to deal with that.

3 Likes

Wow, such a cute place in a beautiful setting! I’m vacationing in this area in a few weeks and wish I had seen your listing. So darling!

Thanks so much! Always another time! Love to have you…

UPDATE: I waited the two weeks to see if they would leave a review…I knew, despite their ‘sweet note’ in the guest book, it wouldn’t be good if they did…have learned to trust the instincts…Their public review was short and not so sweet but their individual comments on each segment were scathing and untrue…
PUBLIC: “Please look over pictures well not as secluded as we expected with her home 70 feet away.”

PRIVATE feedback :slight_smile:“Living on 500 acres down a long lane is being secluded to us. Hearing your phone conversations was not. My fault I did not go through all the photo’s to not realize it was a converted shed next to your home. It may work for people who live in the city.”

Amusing because nowhere do I say I’m on 500 acres (although surrounded by 1500 wild acres of mountain forest)

The nasty stuff came later…
Accuracy feedback:
Our idea of secluded does not include the host in your back yard were you can hear her talking on the phone. We also would see her 1st thing in the am while drinking coffee around the yard. The loft is very close to the ceiling unable to sit up in there. It is not a bedroom nor is it a cabin it is a garden shed turned into a cabin. Please look pictures over carefully do not get caught up in the beautiful views if you really like your privacy and enjoy your own space there is none here. We love to cook this listing is in the middle of nowhere so yes having a kitchen would be great if there was room to cook again not the case. Lucky for us the gas grill outside worked thank god it wasn’t raining. The couch sits two people.

Cleanliness feedback:
Both sink actually had slime in them also in the faucets I had to scrub out. Air conditioner & the fan for the loft were filthy with dust.Floor under couch (dropped a sock) filthy.

Value feedback:
Being a cabin with space to be in - also privacy aka seclusion as promised.

Funny…the only thing I do outside in the morning if feed my heifers…Coffee is in the house…Total fabrication…
So after learning alot from you all…Here was my response…

Sadly, Alisa and Dave immediately complained about features that were either not there that they wanted, OR that were there that they didn’t want, DESPITE all being clearly stated in the listing. They then admitted, laughingly, they didn’t read the listing. They left the Little Cabin untidy and in disarray. I’m not surprised at the gross misinformation they’ve posted (the cabin is over 200’ away and on it’s own private area of the farm) considering how they left the property. I would not recommend them to any hosts.

Ahh…the joys of hosting another host…might not again, lol!

2 Likes

Ugh! she even admits they didn’t read!!!

It’s probably futile, but I’m going to call Airbnb. I happen to have a photo of their ‘sweet note’ they left in my guest book saying they had a great time. Not a word verbally or in writing and then this. Maybe it will help at least with the star rating. Or perhaps they will put it far down my reviews. I kind of wish I had a way to attach that photo to my public response, couldn’t figure that out if it’s possible…too late now… Doesn’t hurt to try with Airbnb.
You know, I really don’t get upset when people complain about TRUE things that are not their fault, but when they draw a mental picture for others with falsehoods in writing it’s hard to defend. And not worth it either.
I knew when they checked in it wouldn’t be a good experience with them, and when I saw how they left the cabin it just made it more certain to me. Only hosted two who claimed to be hosts. Both bad experiences. Which is a weird thing.

You may not be able to respond with a pic of the sweet note but you CAN type it in and put quotes around it.

Given your handwritten review in our guest book, “sweet love blah blah” I am very disappointed to read your lies in this public review.

1 Like

I contacted Airbnb and it’s a slightly positive response. The agent went over all the contradictions and I’ll follow through…doesn’t really matter but it would make me happy to know that their efforts ended up being futile. fingers crossed…sometimes I hate people, lol!!

2 Likes

Sorry, Shadowmnt, to break it to you, but you did not do yourself a great service by responding to the ‘Private’ parts of their review.

Especially saying in your review they left all clean. Sadly so, you are contradicting yourself in your response.

You might be right, however, I left a short, honest review of THEM, that I had to leave prior to reading their review. As I said, their review came out of left field in it’s content. NOTHING that they said to me while here, or wrote in the guest book gave me any clue that it would be this misleading and at times totally false. I expected them to have some complaint in a review along the lines of what they had verbalized to me. But what they wrote showed me what kind of people they were. Anyway, guests don’t usually read a host’s review of a guest. So if it seems contradictive, that’s the reasoning.