How do I try to stop gaps in long term (31+) rentals

So I’ve been forced to go 31+ day rentals only by my municipality. So far it seems to be working well (got my first two reservations with only a week gap in between, which is not optimal but works).

What I’d like to do is set it up so that let’s say my place is available starting the 15th of next month, I’d only want people who are looking for places starting the 15th through 22nd of next month to see place available.

Kind of like the check in on Tuesday only kind of thing, but instead check in the 15th through 22nd only. As we got closer if I didn’t have a hit I’d want to expand the allowed check in date.

Right now I get inquiries to start the 31st of the month leaving two weeks gap, which is kind of costly as I can’t currently back fill with short term.

Or do I need to just let people know when they inquire (I’ve turned off instant book) for later dates that I’m looking for someone sooner as a workaround?

I’d use a minimum stay for the period 15th to the 22nd of August, and then a minimum stay where it would be worth it for the period 23rd of August and after. Something like 93 days or longer. That way if someone days book for after 22nd of August, it would be worth it.

1 Like

Check out the rule sets, or wait for @JJD to wander along, she’ll put you right :wink:

JF

2 Likes

Beautiful answer Suntory. I didn’t understand how minimum days worked, it took a little tinkering, and now I understand better, and your solution should work.

1 Like

Remember to check your state’s landlord-tenant law. In most states, tenants have rights after 28 days. I would never use Air for long term rentals, and I have a rental agreement that has an explicit ending date that must be extended in writing. I am not a lawyer but the one that wrote my agreement told me that an agreement with an end date means that you don’t have to evict someone when the term is up, because their tenancy has expired, but you should consult an attorney in your jurisdiction.

@skemp I agree with Suntory. You only have to do minimum stays. You don’t even need to do rule sets for this. You can go to Availability --> Trip Details --> Additional Requirements and set them there, it’ll be faster and easier.

I also agree with @NordlingHouse though. Airbnb is the worst place to do these longer stays and you definitely want to know your local tenant-landlord regulations and at which point a guest would be considered a tenant (anyone who stays 30 days becomes a tenant for me). If you are ever in a position to need to evict or serve any kind of notice to your tenant that came to you as an Airbnb guest, you may not even know their real name and you’ll be SOL. If you want to take the risk, you should at least know your local details so that you know what you’re getting into. It’s also a bad place to do long term because of the people you’ll likely to get - people who may not be able to get a legit rental, because of credit or background issues. It’s a double risk, really.