HOW Do I Get Guests to STOP with the Food in the Bedroom?

Me too. One night, just as I was getting ready to go to bed, I spotted something on the floor in the corner of the kitchen- not the actual kitchen area, but a corner off to the side where an extra chair resides. When I took a close look, it was hard to tell what it was, because it was covered completely in ants. It was a dead mouse. I couldn’t deal with it at that late hour and just went to bed, thinking I’d get rid of it in the morning, but in the morning there was nothing left of it, just a bit of a dirty spot on the floor.

Ants don’t bother me at all. I consider them nature’s cleaners and it’s a shame more people can’t regard them that way. They don’t spread disease and they have a fascinating social structure. One night I watched several of them working together to manuever a dead winged termite up my bedroom wall and out the window.

1 Like

She sounds like my late Mom. All 5’ 2" of her was fierce. Never ever had to raise her voice - just the eyebrow and a pointed index finger would throw Captains of Industry into a tizzy and rushing around to wait on her. Hereditary on her Mother’s side (Great-Aunt Margaret was something else…)

I think I have it licked. New guests (16 nights!) are here.

I may take someone’s advice and say “If you want to eat in your room, it’s $100 up front for the exterminator to come the day you check out. Cash.”

It’s a thought…

1 Like

Here’s basically what I say to my guests- “If you mind sharing your bedroom with ants and cockroaches, I’d advise you not to eat in your room or leave any food wrappers around. This is the land of insects and they can get in the tiniest crack.”

1 Like

It’s like these people got stunted at about age 14. I honestly don’t understand why not eating in the bedroom is such a difficult thing for them to adhere to.

I eat in my bedroom all the time…since I remember myself. I remember my mom brought me breakfast to bed . I did same for my kids. Some people just grew up this way.
I don’t think as hosts we can control this habit of our guests. Ants are bad but pest control is a solution.
I never not found food in bedrooms. Seems like 100% of my guests eat in beds

2 Likes

If there’s sufficient pest control - the occasional food that falls to the floor won’t cause an infestation. Even if it’s missed

1 Like

Beds are for sleeping or other horizontal activity. Not for sitting up. I have never been able to be comfortable sitting in a bed, even a motorized and very adjustable hospital bed.

The only times I ever watch TV or ate in bed was the three years I was married, and while I enjoyed Johnny Carson, even in black & white, I hated crumbs in the bed.

Yeah, I don’t get the appeal at all. The only times I watch TV in bed, or eat in bed, is when I’m sick, or I don’t have a viable alternative—for example when I’m staying a a motel or hotel that doesn’t have a comfortable chair for those activities.

I’ve been sitting up in bed all my life, as I read before I go to sleep. It’s the only time I find to do that and I’m an avid reader.

There’s all sorts of things we did as kids that we don’t do as adults, thank goodness. Your mom brought you breakfast in bed? And you brought breakfast in bed to yours? Sounds like overdoting mothers.

And just because someone does something at home doesn’t mean it’s okay to do in other people’s homes.

I let dirty dishes pile up for 2 days before I wash them, but I wouldn’t do that in someone else’s home, nor when I have guests.

Adults are supposed to be able to make those distinctions and if their host says no eating in the bedroom, it doesn’t matter if they do it at home- they don’t get to do it there.

1 Like

Some people call it " love".
Unfortunately majority of guests wouldn’t agree with you. They will behave at your house exactly the same way they behave at home or much worse
I guess as hosts we can have a choice…we can stress yourself over something we can’t fix.
Or just have a regular pest control which some hosts have on regular basis anyway .
We can discipline our guests as much as we want without any result or find ways to deal with it without causing ourselves unessesary frustration.

2 Likes

My guests have been quite respectful. I don’t know what they do at home and I don’t care. When they are in my home, they have to do things the way they need to be done. But in fact, I have never had to “discipline” a guest. If I make a request, they comply. That’s how responsible adults behave.

According to your way of thinking, if someone was accustomed to working from home and got up at 10am every day, if they then got a job outside the home, they could come in to work at 11am, because that is what they are used to, even if they are supposed to show up for work at 9am.

I don’t spray toxic chemicals. Pest control means keeping things clean in my world.

Job is different than going on vacation

Oh, people get to act however they want because they’re on vacation?

1 Like

I get little ants in the summer so I wanted to buy ant spray for the cabins and it took awhile to find ant spray as opposed to ant and roach spray. I do not want the guests to think I have roaches!

RR

1 Like

I do remind guests on one of my notes before their arrival about not leaving crumbs, open boxes of cookies, etc, anywhere in the apartment in order to avoid “bugs”. I also mention it in my “rules” and personally mention it when they check in - I try to say it in a lighthearted way that I’m sure they would rather not have bugs sharing the bed with them. The thought of co-sleeping with bugs seems to be a deterrent…

1 Like

I agree with you and @missmiami Since this has gone a bit long, I’ll ask @KKC to close down the thread.

I think we’ve beaten the pest control and bug issue to death.

1 Like

The road to ruin is to have guests ‘treat your home as their own’…

2 Likes