How do I compare to other hosts?

Am I able to do a poll type thing here? Just to see what the norm is on your listing.

• Do you have a shared house or entire house you rent out?
  • How much is your deposit?
  • Do you have instant book?
  • What is your cancellation policy?
  • Do you list anywhere else?
  • What is your check in/out time?
  • Anything special you do/add for your guest?

Last, any advice for newbies?

You can answer any or all of the questions. =)

Thanks!!!

• Entire apartment
  • $100
  • Yes
  • Strict during the busy season, moderate in the slower season
  • No but we have our own website
  • 11 am - 4pm
  • Custom house manual, tourist guides, money-off vouchers, events calendar, arrival treats, first morning breakfast goods

Huge subject!

• Shared Home - separate level of the house, but shared entry - we seem them coming and going
  • $100
  • Yes (but sadly most people do not use it anyway)
  • Moderate
  • Yes, Wimdu. Just had our first guests. Fantastic
  • 3 and 11, which is standard in US
  • I created a little website for them to use to plan their time here, we have them put a star on a large world map to show where they are from, I spoil them with a nice breakfast with a nice table setting, we are genuinely happy to meet them and get to know them.

Keep and open mind. Donā€™t let the little things frustrate you - ask yourself ā€œis this really costing me?ā€. Usually itā€™s not. For instance, if you CAN get the room ready and let them check in early - why not? You have to clean it at some time. If not, thatā€™s ok too - say ā€˜noā€™ but donā€™t let it frustrate you. We had a guest that preferred to shower upstairs (they were allowed to use the tub to bathe their child.) Yes, it was weird, but I did a little calculation in my head and realized that it wasnā€™t costing me anything at all. Iā€™m not by nature flexible but Iā€™m learning to be, to my advantage. However, know where you need to draw the line. I had a guest come upstairs, ask my son for a cucumber, and made himself at home in our kitchen (he had his own). No, that would not do - we asked him to move back downstairs, but I realized I didnā€™t need to get excited about it - we just explained it to him. DONā€™T give into the temptation to write up a rule for everything someone does thatā€™s not right. Chances are really good the next guests are going to come up with something new anyway! EXPECT guests to ask questions that you have clearly answered in multiple places in your listing. EXPECT them to want you to hold their hand a bit. HAVE FUN!

1 Like

Do you have a shared house or entire house you rent out? ENTIRE APARTMENT
How much is your deposit? 250
Do you have instant book?NO
What is your cancellation policy? STRICT
Do you list anywhere else? TRIP ADVISOR BOOKING.COM WIMDU, ROOMORAMA
What is your check in/out time? CHECK IN 3PM OUT 11AM (ALSO FLEXIBLE)
Anything special you do/add for your guest? XBOX 360, SNORKLE GEAR, BEACH CHAIRS,

Do you have a shared house or entire house you rent out? Share

How much is your deposit? $250 Aussie dollars

Do you have instant book? No! I need to make sure I am comfortable with guests in my home, they donā€™t seem to be seriel killers (but neither do most on the crime channel) and that the dates suits me. Iā€™m nearly fully booked so I can be fussy I guess and work FT outside the home so not all dates would work.

What is your cancellation policy? Strict, itā€™s amazing how many ppl have these fake emergencies & want to change dates at literally the last minute & then when I explain ā€˜Airā€™s strict cancellation policy on your bookingā€™ they manage to all be able to come! Lol if Iā€™d had flexible I would have lost 1000s and no one seems out off so IMO I would recommend strict.

Do you list anywhere else? No
What is your check in/out time? 2pm, check out 10am, Iā€™m strict with checkout but sometimes let guests come early

Anything special you do/add for your guest? Full breakfast supplies daily, fancy coffee, treat on arrival, offer them lifts if itā€™s suits me, brochures, maps etc

ā€¢Do you have a shared house or entire house you rent out? - Entire Apartment
ā€¢How much is your deposit? - No deposit
ā€¢Do you have instant book? Yes
ā€¢What is your cancellation policy? Strict
ā€¢Do you list anywhere else? Wimdu but 90% of bookings come through Airbnb
ā€¢What is your check in/out time? 11am/3pm but flexible as possible - often prohibited by back to back stays.
ā€¢Anything special you do/add for your guest? Detailed house manual and local guide emailed upon booking. Fresh milk in fridge on arrival.

Separate granny flat with own bathroom and kitchenette. Will be offering a separate bedroom in our main house shortly.

How much is your deposit? No deposit
Do you have instant book? Yes. But no earlier than 3 days and must have positive reviews

What is your cancellation policy?
Flexible
Do you list anywhere else? Trip Advisor but currently having huge communication problems. Am set to go with Booking.com but hesitant as a lesser review system of clients not to mention the higher commission rate. Will stick with AirBnB as I believe it will be the best solution long term.

What is your check in/out time? Check in is at 2pm. Check out is 11am but can be flexible.

Anything special you do/add for your guest?
Heaps of value adds they donā€™t expect. Beer, Wine. Cereal. Fruit. Chocolate Nuts. Champers for special occasions.

I rent out my upstairs bedroom and bathroom.
Deposit is now $200.
I do not and never will have instant book.
My cancellation policy is strict (but I have always had airbnb return all funds the few times Iā€™ve had guests cancel).
I list on HomeEscape (just started the other day)
My check in time is usually flexible (I donā€™t do back to back bookings). My check out time is 11am (unless I am working, then I let them stay as late as 4pm, but if itā€™s my day off, I want them out of here).
I frequently leave a very small gift certificate for a local restaurant ($3-5) to entice them to go there for breakfast, and I reiki their room prior to their arrival. In the summer, I provide them with ice packs for their daily treks and even flexible coolers if they need them. I have available sunscreen and bugspray which is made from essential oils.
My advice for a newbie is to screen people carefully.

Champers? Translate?

Slang for champagne. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry dcmooney. I am Australian and we tend to use a lot of slang. Will be more considerate in future.

• Do you have a shared house or entire house you rent out?
    Entire apartment
  • How much is your deposit?
    ā‚¬400
  • Do you have instant book?
    Yes. All my bookings who arenā€™t from newbies are IB.
  • What is your cancellation policy?
    Strict.
  • Do you list anywhere else?
    HomeAway, Wimdu, Housetrip, Misterbnb. So far 90% of my guests book through Airbnb and 10% through HomeAway.
  • What is your check in/out time? 4Pm and noon. I am flexible as long as I donā€™t have other guests.
  • Anything special you do/add for your guest?
    I send a PDF guidebook before they arrive and leave in the apartment a welcome basket with tea, coffee, soft drinks, biscuits, candies and little goodies for children (a colouring book, balloonsā€¦)

Oh, no, donā€™t stop! I love it! Thatā€™s how we can all learn from each other!

1 Like

Thanks all! This is really helpful and informative!!

Do you have a shared house or entire house you rent out? - Entire apartment
How much is your deposit? - 150.00
Do you have instant book? - no way!
What is your cancellation policy? - Moderate
Do you list anywhere else? - yes booking.com
What is your check in/out time?-Check in 4pm check out 11 am
Anything special you do/add for your guest?- personalized note please a small bar of chocolate, bottled water, enlgish muffins butter and jam. Plus fresh flowers.

Do you have a shared house or entire house you rent out?
I rent three rooms in the home where I live. The rental rooms are on the ground floor (along with the other living spaces) and my bedroom suite is on the top floor. One of the rental rooms has an attached, private bath; the other two share a bath.

How much is your deposit?
$US $500 ā€¦ this hasnā€™t been an issue for guests because I explain that the deposit is only taken if there is damage and that I know there wonā€™t be from them :wink:

Do you have instant book?
No and I probably never will because I want to ā€œconverseā€ (via the message system) first so that I know more about the guests

What is your cancellation policy?
Strict ā€“ although I have occasionally given refunds

Do you list anywhere else?
I have a Wordpress website to promote my listings. I tried 9Flats, but it was not a good experience because the notification system for inquiries didnā€™t work and therefore I didnā€™t respond to potential guests soon enough.

What is your check in/out time?
Iā€™m flexible as long as it is not after 11pm ā€“ Iā€™m not a night owl. I have had a few guests whose planes were late, but that canā€™t be helped.

Anything special you do/add for your guest?
I provide a self-serve continental breakfast that includes great croissants and/or pastries from the bakery around the corner. Also, each guest gets a welcome plate of cookies from the same bakery and there is a jar of small wrapped chocolates in each room. Iā€™m a big fan of our Metro Rail so provide ticket cards for all my guests and give advice on how to get around car-free (saves me on providing parking because there is no over night street parking in my town). Iā€™ve also done my own personal walking tours of the area, directions for getting to many attractions via Metro Rail, and have a good guide book with local spots.

Advice to newbies
Everything must be spotless clean! Then, most important thing is to enjoy your guests and help them have great experience in your town.

Hope this is useful ā€¦

Happy Hosting ā€“ Lia