House Rules Violated by Guest but Airbnb non-cooperative

My guests booked my listing for 5 guests but landed up as 7 guests despite being warned that the maximum occupancy is 6 and bringing any additional guests would be a violation of our House Rules. Airbnb was hesitant to cancel the booking citing lack of proof (they wanted me to send a photo with all 7 guests) A few hours later they smoked inside the apartment - again prohibited by my house rules. Last night, at 1AM I received complaints from neighbors of noise coming from the listing. I went to the listing and recorded the noise I could hear a few metres outside the main door. Sent the same to Airbnb and the rep said he agrees there is a party happening. Itā€™s been 7 hours but theyā€™re yet to do anything about it despite 2 calls and 2 followup messages. How do I get these people out of the property?

Have you knocked on the door and told them that they have broken the house rules and the booking is canceled? 30 minutes to get their gear and go?

8 Likes

I donā€™t know why you are waiting on Airbnb. They arenā€™t going to come and physically boot these people out of your home, which is what you should have done when they showed up with 7.

5 Likes

I was waiting for them to cancel the reservation so that I can throw them out.

Being alone, I was scared to do this at 1am with a large group. So I called them twice, msged them on Airbnb as well as WhatsApp asking them to pipe down and threatening to cancel but to no avail

2 Likes

So you are letting these guests control your business and your property? I have no idea where you are in the worldā€¦ but you now have unhappy neighbours as well.
Can you call the police regarding the noise and start the process that way?

1 Like

You donā€™t need Airbnbā€™s permission to evict guests who are flagrantly breaking house rules and disrespecting you and your property and neighbors. Itā€™s your home that you need to be in control of.

Of course you shouldnā€™t put yourself in physical danger, confronting 7 people by yourself at 1AM. But I donā€™t understand why you allowed them to stay when they arrived with 7, after you had made it clear that max occupancy was 6 and they had booked for 5. Surely they didnā€™t arrive at 1AM?

If you let people get away with ignoring your rules right off the bat, they will just continue to behave however they want.

3 Likes

Call police for noise disturbance. Be present when police arrive. Tell guests they must leave

They will leave place in a mess. Take pictures of mess & damage

2 Likes

Depends which country you are in @Annet3176 If you called the police in the UK for noise disturbance Iā€™m afraid they would laugh at you.

@p_rose as others have said, when you knew the guests arrived with more than had been booked, you should have gone around there with a friend and confirmed that they needed to ask the unbooked guests to go and that if there were any further violations of the house rules in terms of extra guests, noise etc they would have their booking cancelled and all be asked to leave.

I would suggest you go back with two or three friends and ensure all the guests leave ASAP.

Going forward get CCTV so you have evidence of rule breaking and have a system in place for getting out guests who break house rules like this.

3 Likes

Some of the comments are unnecessary harsh

Itā€™s understandable how someone can be intimidated by a group of 7

Asking them to just march in guns blazing is wreckless

Op, get yourself a ring doorbellā€¦ That stopped the party goers at my placeā€¦ Itā€™ll also give you evidence in case you need it

3 Likes

Of course, we donā€™t know much about the circumstances here but I have to disagree with the previous message that the comments are harsh.

Thereā€™s nothing Airbnb can do in those circumstances (they donā€™t have ā€˜rental policeā€™ in every town in every country in the world).

A host controls their own business. The host or co-host simply shouldnā€™t have allowed seven people in. And if guests start to be troublesome, the host or co-host should deal with it straight away.

6 Likes

I think that we new hosts tend to over rely on AB&B to manage the guests. I believe that Jaquo and Muddy have consistently championed the need for hosts to control their own business (home). But they have been doing this for a while, and have a confidence and experience that we dont yet have.

Keep in mind that AB&B is a booking and payment platform is not in a position to address concerning guest behaviors.

I do understand your indecision. Many of us novices are quite unsure of the legal recourses available to us. For example, host/guest relations are a civil matter in Virginia and the police do not have not the ability to remove people from my property (likely different in some of the locations). Also, those of us just starting are unsure of the potential for financial penalties for disallowing entry, and if insisting guests leave for breaking the house rules could backfire on us. I have read threads where this is the case.

Take heart P Rose. Most guests are wonderful, and as Jaquo points out in other posts, continued guest issues are likely a reflection on something you need to change. Keep reading the threads and other posts. You will see lots of suggestions to address this problem from lots of perspectives. Besides, I think that you have already seen the value of two things you can do. The importance of face to face check in, and taking an immediate stand on check-in so to avoid the 1 am problems

2 Likes

It can be so tough to navigate the decision process for a situation like this - weighing the pros and cons of interrupting (which is awkward as well as potentially unsafe!) is challenging.

Unfortunately, we ourselves had a similar issue recently. 9 guests present when the reservation was for 2, etc. It was still early in the evening, but my cohost and I marched to the listing and concisely told them that they needed to leave, and immediately. We have the benefit of living on the property, so were able to ā€œcatchā€ the issue early. Additionally, my partner is a very tall, very loud guy who owns and runs a large bar venue soā€¦playing bouncer or mean camp counselor isnā€™t something that heā€™s afraid of.

But if I was by myself, and I have been in these situations before, following up the AirBnB messages with a phone call or text directly to the number has been my strategy. It absolutely sucks to intervene, but Iā€™ve always banked on my own rights as well as the blatant disregards for effectively communicated house rules and reservation expectations.

2 Likes