House Rules to CYA as a host

My rates and ratings have both increased since I imposed these rules. I’m happy to avoid people who wouldn’t book with me - its not hurting my business one bit. In fact I’ve found this list ensures I can properly handle both bad guests and incompetent Airbnb CS reps during disputes that result in me always getting paid.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be for me. Simply on the basis of the rules resembling in length a few chapters of War and Peace.

Makes my three or four look decidedly lax…

JF

3 Likes

Well, your numbers make it clear that it works for you, so good luck to you! I have two rules (although I’m going to go really strict and make it 4 soon!) and I’ve also had virtually no Bad Guest Problems, so maybe this has been luck and all our guests have just been decent human beings?

2 Likes

Well, for all folks slag off “The Costas”, kinda looks like your guest profile isn’t that different to mine, and appears to be a notch above a lot that folks on here get.

JF

1 Like

As usual, this forum is Judgy McJudgerson - ironic coming from a so called “host” forum. I wonder how many of you have considered for a second the issues I’ve experienced that have lead to these rule? Let me share some of them with you while you’re enjoying the armchair quarterbacking:

Innumerable guest have arrived to act like total trash bags, screaming, yelling, running down halls, playing music at all hours of the night. How do you handle this? I’ll assume based on the judgmental remarks that most of you are there in person standing sentry 24 / 7 right? Not me, I work full time 65 hrs a week.

Self explanatory, yet apparently missed by most of the peanut gallery here.

Oh you, didn’t like that I didn’t provide a tea kettle and decided to rate me 2 starts because of this? Yea, this has happened. No, I am not a concierge. No, I will not arrange for your wife to have balloons in the room for your honeymoon. No, I will not hold your hand in explaining basic non stay related inquires that can be found online. You figured out how to use Airbnb, you can figure out what hours the nears whatever is that you’re interested in visiting.

The neighbors love returning home to find a hallway full of crap from Amazon because you can’t purchase these products in your home country and want to use my place and a temporary stock storage - no. Aside from the obvious risk implied in receiving strange mail at your home.

My city is at war with Airbnb, much in the same way the County was previously with Uber. This makes you feel its illegal and makes you uncomfortable? Be responsible and look into the law then before you book - also your responsibility. My responsibility lies with protecting my interest and respecting the rules of my HOA - not kissing a grown adult’s ass and making them feel special cause they dropped a few dollars on a vacation.

Also self explanatory, but apparently not so much for the peanut gallery here.

Also self explanatory. You don’t get to bring your 5 friends here and use it as a day time crash / party pad in between your binge drinking on the beach. I control how my property is treated by controlling who is allowed inside. I’m apparently more responsible than most in this forum.

Self evident, you’re not a liberty to use two new towels a day because you feel so inclined. But you’re more than welcome to provide your own extra since I was considerate and provided advanced notice of this. There is also a washer and dryer that magically creates clean towels when you use them - wow, imagine that.

Sorry you have a problem with Airbnb’s rules. This has worked wonders for me to avoid the off platform scams about fake complaints, and fake pictures sent off platform requesting refunds for bullshit made up issues.

Any of you liked to repay me the thousands I’ve lost from damaged dry wall replacement? How many of you have had your cleaners arrived to call you in a panic that a guest left all windows open with the AC on full blast, puddles of condensation on the floor and warped walls from the damage? Sound strict now to you all?

Clearly this is to avoid the aforementioned shady POS that claims problems after their stay has ended in hope of obtaining a refund. Good luck with that, not once have allowed that trick on me.

Also self evident, and yet still broken by a man who decided it was ok to smoke so long as he left windows open. $300 deep cleaning to get the smell out…

Yes - guest thinks its fine to leave trash bag in the hallway or building front as they rush out last minute to catch a taxi on their way out. I guess expecting normal decency makes me the asshole according this crowd. I for one allow my trash to pile in front my neighbors door, how about yall?

South Florida is literally in the tropics - roaches are one crumb away from appearing. How many times have I received a ridiculous request for a refund due to ONE roach being spotted, only to arrive and find a pig sty of piles of trash and dirty dishes in the sink. This must also be a mark of me being too strict, huh?

Self evident, aforementioned, hence my window locks and Nest AC now. Sorry, not sorry

Each has Ring on all 5 apartments has paid for itself by way of imposition of the extra guest fees when i bust lying ass guests. Oh you feel like you’re being watched, well you have no expectation of privacy in public areas - and you are being watched - hence why its disclosed in the rules.

This is from the smart asses that think they’ll hand block my Ring camera - funny how the apartment door lock time stamp matches the footage from the building’s front entrance showing you coming and then leaving hours later with a train full of people. $15O each person, each violation - upheld each time by Airbnb with my uneditable time log and video footage. You mad about this, or you just mad you didn’t think of it too ?

It was so nice to hear from my cleaners about the guests who broke a coffee table and they jerry rigged it back to look as if it was normal - until it collapsed when we put her bag on top of it. Or how about the bed that was found full of shit in between the top sheet and blanket. Or how about the girl who pissed herself, left the bed so soaked that a puddle formed under it on the floor, and then claimed she didn’t know what happened. Or how about the couple that had some sort of Dexter style S&M sexualy encounter leaving blood from the foot of the bed to the headboard, and up the wall, to the ceiling with a splatter of blood everywhere. Or how about the couple that decided to use my bathtub as a toilet and leave it 1/2 way filled with piss and shit for the cleaners to find ! Yes, that happened. There are more stories, these are just a few for the judgey crowd here to enjoy.

I love it when guests complain they saw a roach or an ant, and then don’t want my exterminator inside due to privacy or the latest bullshit - I’m concerned about the chemicals - then you’re not concerned about the bugs sweet heart. Pick your complaint, you don’t get both. Nor does the HOA enjoy having one apartment not sprayed and serve as a roach nest for the critters running from the sprayed apartments.

Also self explanatory. And you are a disgusting host if you wash and re-used an soiled linens. That says more about your hygiene than it does about me being strict.

Self explanatory - you don’t have license to trash my place because you paid a cleaning fee. IF you decide to, then you’ll find yourself paying a higher cleaning fee.

I’m not your friend, and I will never likely ever see you again in life. I’m not running a charity. You want an exception to what you contracted for and agreed to when you booked, then like all contracts you can pay more consideration for the change in the terms.

A great way to appease my cleaners who find themselves waiting hours sometimes for drunk assholes who decide coming home at 4am was fine when they’re facing a 10am checkout. The video also makes great evidence for upholding these claims and getting paid out.

Oh you booked an extra day by accident? Oh your best friend and you are now fighting and you cant come on the trip? Oh you overslept your flight and won’t arrive until tomorrow. Yea, I’ve heard all the bullshit. You get a refund if and only when you experience an extenuating circumstance, but for no other reason - not with me.

I’m sad to read how critical and judgmental so many of you are in this forum. But no surprise, I’ve read a lot of asshole comments in here the past two years. Its so great to find a community of helpful and supportive hosts. Pssshhh.

1 Like

So, what you’re saying is that folks aren’t allowed an opinion, if it differs from yours?

I wouldn’t stay with you, and neither would a few others, that is simply our viewpoint.

Remember, it was you that posted your rules if you don’t want discussion over them, don’t post them.

JF

8 Likes

The fascinating thing to me is that I (and, apparently, many other hosts here) have similar 5-star reviews/Superho status/lack of problem guests…and I don’t have to come across like a you-know-what to achieve that. It’s quite possible that your “success” happens despite the way you present your rules, and not because of it.

7 Likes

i’m happy for you. I have a bunch of rules too, just for the reason you mentioned but I try
a) to communicate an idea
b) not to put off the prospective guest by sounding patronizing
c) stick with the essential
Your rules have a lot of verbiage and the first 2 don’t communicate anything.

1 Like

Did I say that ? No, you just did. I think you’re judgmental, simpy my viewpoint.

Opine away, we are having a discussion aren’t we? Don’t like a response, don’t opine then.

Or you have no idea about the quality of guests that I encounter in my market… tell us about a know it all again.

1 Like

@dpfromva I loved that post! Did you write it?

1 Like

Your opinion about my rules has no impact on my great earnings. Those who feel below others often find direct language patronizing. I have a lot of respect for myself so other’s don’t have this affect on me. I can see its not a common trait.

This is simply not true. I don’t even know you. Apart from what I feel reading what you wrote here ( and that is a feeling that I won’t like to rent any property of yours although I am a mannered, nice, 5* guest, not inclined to do any of the stuff you mention), I have no idea who you are. No, I don’t feel at all beneath you :slight_smile: Sorry :slight_smile:

As i said, I’m glad it’s working for you and thanks for sharing, but my rules work perfectly well for me too :slight_smile: and I am equally direct but more polite. Oh, and my airbnbs are legal.

2 Likes

Maybe not true for you, but your experience and opinion is not universal nor controlling. You sure did feel patronized though, didn’t you?

I’m glad its working for me too. Are you more polite, little smug with the remarks on legal airbnbs huh? Pray your areas doesn’t change the law on you and you then find yourself subject to jerk hosts making stupid quips. So polite indeed.

1 Like

@Allison_H I really like your rules.

1 Like

If the rules were War and Peace the explanation of the rules are Proust’s Remembrance of Things Past. :rofl: Though I agree I wouldn’t stay in one of Stephen’s listings for multiple reasons (mostly because I patronize the one host one home model), there’s a number of things in his defense.

His rules read like he’s scolding children because he is. Hosting in South Beach surely requires more rules than hosting in El Paso.

He’s honest and unapologetic. So make people posting here are scammers or frauds.

His success with multiple properties speaks for itself. He doesn’t need any of us to stay with him.

At least he doesn’t roll over and play dead like so many of the hosts here. He’s actually helping all of us by holding guests accountable.

He’s made multiple posts here over the years trying to be helpful.

I’m not a fan of illegal rentals either but it sounds like he’ll be out of business if his city gets its way.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly KKC - you got it.

Only from multiple unbelievable bad experiences with dishonest, manipulative, and blatant rule breaking guests have I come to develop my rules & strict enforcement of them. Why should I apologize for developing a strategy that both works for me and still attracts a 90% occupancy rating. Good my rules turn you off, your assumption that the rules are too strict turn me off to hosting you. its really that simple. The minute a guest makes any mention of my rules being strict or asking if I really enforce them - I tell them simply - “Guest always have a better experience finding a place suited to their needs. I invite you to find the same and thank you for your interest.”

My City is cracking down because of a combination of both bad guests, which my area attracts, and irresponsible hosts who shift the burden of policing and maintaining their building / properties onto the non involved resident neighbor. I’d call the cops on someone hosting banger parties next to me too.

I have found in life that being upfront and direct is the best method with people when dealing in business. Many may not like it, but I’m not here to win over the hearts and minds of potential guests, I’m here to make money and ensure my properties are cared for. I really don’t care if my rules seem harsh - I sleep very well at night knowing they are in place.

The funny part about this forum’s criticisms - I’m not looking for your business, nor approval. I didn’t ask if anyone agreed with me. I’m sharing what has worked, what has enable my 4.8 rating and 90% occupancy. I have tons of reviews with guests stating how I was their best Airbnb experience ever. I have nice apartments, I provide a clean space, I’m attentive, guests are safe, secure, monitored, and they know what to expect from me. Sounds like I’m way ahead of the curve compared to many hosts.

I’m not a fan of illegal rentals as well, it puts guests in an awkward situation and creates drama with resident neighbors. But I’m even more not a fan of a City’s willingness to be influenced by Hoteliers / Developers / Lobbyist over the interest of residents and just change a law at whim that strips people’s fundamental property rights. I didn’t bust my ass for years to save up for a mortgage for someone to tell me what I can and can’t do with my property.

Spare me the implied moral judgement, least you find yourself on the wrong side of a stupid zoning law from one day to the next. See how it feels to be a good person, running a good business, having people thank you all the time for what you provide and the money you save them, all while being criticized left and right for what was formerly permissible while be scapegoated by your local city government.

Imagine if empathy came from this group as quickly as criticism. Now that would be a real host group worth being involved in.

1 Like

I think many of us can empathise with at least this part of your post - it isn’t pleasant to feel we are living on a knife edge in case a law is suddenly changed (as has happened in the last few months in Spain) and our well-run and thriving businesses may suddenly be illegal.

I accept that what works for you works for you, and @KKC’s post fills us in a bit more on your situation which we didn’t know about earlier (for instance I have no idea where or what South Beach is and why it needs so many more rules). You shared your Rules with us thinking they might be helpful and that is generous. The majority of responders here don’t feel that your rules are appropriate to their particular situation and surely you can accept that? It doesn’t mean that either “side” is better - just that we are all different.!

So Vive la Difference

5 Likes

As John said, don’t post here and then whine about the commentary. Given my education and career I don’t have the same attitude toward complying with the law that a young entrepreneur does. Just because violating the law serves a beneficent end in your mind doesn’t mean it’s okay to disregard it. Everyone, even in civil or financial matters, putting themselves above the law undermines civil society. Work to change the law or move your business or both.

Your listings have warned guests for years to avoid talking to neighbors, this isn’t a new thing that developed in the last few months. You obviously don’t suffer lack of bookings from it but we have good reason to say that’s a red flag for us when looking for a place to stay.

You have quite the blind spot. Let me paraphrase your words, "Your opinion about [this forum] has no impact on [it’s viability.] Those who feel below others often find direct language patronizing.

5 Likes

Right. In a previous post, you stated that all but two of the 23 units in your building are STR – so why all the need for secrecy if the HOA is on board? Me thinks you might not be as “Exempt” as your listings lead people to believe.