House Rules Recommendations?

Not sure if it will help but its probably better for me to include it rather than not include it as i am fully booked year round anyway. You got a point with filthy apartment indeed.

1 Like

No I did not experience any decline in bookings. I am fully booked year round and I also have video surveillance in my listing so those rules have zero impact on me. I dont know if I will ever use this rule but I prefer to include it to my house rules just in case. If people are not fine with my house rules they can go somewhere else. I hosted over 1500 guests, glowing reviews (around 400) so I guess it compensates and some people told me they booked because I have strict house rules and it means that I am serious about hosting.

2 Likes

Hi @konacoconutz,

Seriously belated reply, but anyway…

I think everyone on the planet wealthy enough to travel would know what ‘girlfriend’ means. It’s one of those words that has really caught on. Even when referring to elderly couples. Ditto for ‘mom’, really. Even Indians would get it. Yes, that last bit is snarky, and meant to be. Just my 2 currency units.

Personally, I think that bit, at least, is charming. @dcmooney has her own style, and clearly it works for her.

This was such a long time ago, I can’t even remember the topic?

Yes, that’s just me, reading old threads…

The reasoning is: you can leave filth behind, but the bedbugs go home with you

1 Like

Nice info! Hosting is good if we are serious about it.

1 Like

I have revised my rules to the following:
“This is a shoe free house, please leave your shoes under the console table at the entrance to the house
No pets (cleaning fee $250)
No smoking (cleaning fee $250)
No illegal activities
No parties
No firearms
No guests i.e. Anyone not registered as our Airbnb guest in your reservation. (Arriving at the home at any time with more, or different, guests than are on your reservation, including babies and small children, violates airbnb rules and our policy. (Can you believe guests actually try to do this? Yep! It’s true!) If you arrive with more guests than you booked for at any time, the reservation must be changed to reflect the proper number of guests before you will be allowed in/to stay, if at all. Please book for the correct number of guests.)”

Thanks for sharing this information.

So much insight and many good points here.

As a newbie, my only rules were: You’re welcomed to my food, but don’t drink my last beer.

My rules are evolving now. It is a balance between scaring off potential guests with too many rules and “assuming” that people come with the same expectations as mine. I’ve added “the don’ts” to my rules now. “Wifi is available, but don’t use my computer and don’t come into my bedroom or bathroom.” I have worded it more nicely than that.

My place is more a corporate rental situation, as I am not a destination location. So far I’ve only had business guys as guests (with one exception) and they have been very low maintenance and none have even had a cup of coffee either from the coffee maker in their room or from the coffee pot in the kitchen, which is full each morning and afternoon. All have enjoyed beer after work, but most brought and shared their own!

I might add a rule- If you choose to do heavy cooking, you must share with the host!

1 Like

I say that we need to negotiate taking over the kitchen during my cooking hours. One negotiation just might be, they teach me their cuisine [me as sous chef] and then we get to eat with you! But it isn’t a rule, it is in the listing long description. Last night I had a guest who used the microwave! First one! Doesn’t look like I will need to fight to use my own kitchen.

1 Like

I was curious. I always wash the blanket and comforter with each guest, IMHO… What does everyone else do? You stated to fold it. So you must not wash it. I just figured I should, cause i would want mine washed.

We wash the blankets, sheets, pillow protectors, towels and washcloths between guests. We wash all of these in hot water with unscented laundry detergent.

1 Like

This topic might be of interest!

2 Likes

As long as we don’t digress in to confusion about the names of bed linens.

2 Likes

… and electric water kettles.

3 Likes

We could do something like Duvet Bingo. Name a start day and first person to clock 50 mentions wins … maybe Fred could present us with an Island day as prize …

1 Like

I like to cook sometimes when I’m on vacation, as restaurant meals can really add up.

very thoughtful rules. thank you for sharing

I see that there haven’t been any addition to this topic for a long time but I thought I would share a recent problem I had with guests. As soon as the guests arrived I could see their children were not under their control. Mother said son was a “naughty boy” and father said they tell him what to do but he doesn’t do it. (The oldest boy was six or seven.) The final straw was coming down in the morning to find the boy sitting in the middle of my dining room table with his feet on the table. I did get Airbnb to evict them but it would have been more straight forward if I had had a rule stating that guests can’t sit on my dining room table with their feet on the table. For some reason, that rule had not occurred to me.

2 Likes