Welcome to AirHostsForum.com!

We are a community of AirBnb hosts. This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts!

House or Villa?

I see that there are some new categories for listings. I am not sure whether to choose House or Villa for my listing. My Airbnb Rental is a private house, 2500 square feet, on a 1 acre property with private pool, hot tub, deck, patio, fenced yard. I think of it as a nice house. But based on the description from Airbnb, it seems like I should choose villa. Any suggestions?

I understand the problem, and I think the answer is that the definition would be different in every country, so there is not one answer. I would be totally clueless about what to choose as well. Just to say that I am of no help :disappointed:.

internet says;
“Villa can be very similar to a house in that it can closely resemble a standard, single family home, but villas are also known for being luxurious, larger homes with their own gardens, vineyards or courtyards, hotel-like services and water fixtures, like pools and fountains.”

Neither am I :slight_smile:
Villa seems to be European to me. Where is the rental?

To build on @Mike_L ‘s comment, in my area golf villas are common. They usually are on the course and have extra amenities (e.g. daily maid service, room service, a ride to the club house…)

If this helps - our property is a villa (it’s even part of our name). We are located in the Caribbean in a secluded forested area. We have 4000 square feet for a three-bedroom home, with a private pool, regular housekeeping, a driver service available, and cooking and meal-plan services available. We are surrounded by cashew trees and bougainvillea, as well as grapefruit, mango and coffee bushes.

But I would be confused by an American (US) home in the forest being called a villa. I’m American but have never heard that term applied to any US home. Mansion, yes. Villa, no.

When I lived in the uk ‘villa’ was a popular term to describe a holiday house in a sunny overseas location with a pool.

When living in New England a villa was an older style lakeside home, I think.

Here in NZ it’s more commonly used to describe an architectural style usually from a particular time period. I was confused when I first got here why these houses were being described as villas - they are mainly in urban areas with little outside space, certainly no pool in sight. I’d never heard houses like this described as ‘villas’ anywhere else.

So I guess it depends who your market is and what they’re likely to call it? I’d lean towards your house being a villa

“Villa” is used a lot in marketing STR properties in Spain (confusingly, the Spanish equivalent is “chalet”!) We never refer to our house as a villa (it always sounds a bit snobbish to me) but other people do! The term always refers to a completely detached house, often in an upmarket suburban/coastal area, with garden and usually pool - not always particularly luxurious, though.

I agree, though, that it tends to depend on locality. Perhaps, @PonderosaPines, you could look at nearby listings to see how they are described?

Villa in Australia refers to unit (for example 6-8 units sit on two lots of land. Usually 1 house sit on one lot, but the lot size can usually vary from 500-900 square metres in different suburbs). Many unit/villa here only has a land size around 150 square metres. So it is quite small, no pool, no garden and not luxurious at all :):sweat_smile:

It is really interesting that same word is used to refer to completely different things in different parts of the world.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!