House Break In - Charge Guests for damages?

OK I’ll bite. What do you suggest or even feel free to make a list of what are the host responsibilities to the guests when it comes to the guest leaving doors open, leaving the faucet on the tub or for example using an oven or stove and not turning it off or maybe using the refrigerator and not closing the door at all in situations like these and many others??
I would love to see how you guest proof poor behavior! I guess truly that’s what I’m asking…

List away!

2 Likes

I appreciate all the opinions everyone has provided me. It seems like a pretty even mixed bag, so based on that, I will end up eating the costs, or at the very least, not charge the guests. I did receive a response from Airbnb asking me to provide pictures of the damages with proof of cost and other things typical for an insurance type claim, so it looks like they are at least considering reimbursing me which I will be really surprised if they do and will let you all know.

You have a good point for sure. You definitely cannot guest proof all 1,000,000,000 different scenarios that most adults should be accountable for. I went ahead and told the guests I would pay for it so they don’t mention the break in on my reviews which we all know is one of the trickiest parts of the Airbnb game

I’ll bite this time. So as an example, I imagine that all hosts have mattress protectors and that’s an instance of guest proofing. Cameras are another example.

There is going to be poor behaviour - it is going to happen. So we have to minimise it as much as we can. It’s the same with our expectations of what we expect guests to do. I’ve stayed in a couple of places where trash bags haven’t been supplied, for instance, and yet the guest is expected to take out the trash.

All these little things add up to minimizing our risks of damage and ensuring that the rental is left in good shape.

A host would only know if they are monitoring their cameras. I don’t know how many times the doors to our rentals have been left unlocked by guests. But I’ll bet they have.

Gotcha. My tactic in this situation would be you don’t leave them a review if you’re going to be asking for restitution. If you don’t leave a review their review will not go up either. So you miss out on a review but you get some kind of restitution if not full restitution. If your track record is strong with reviews missing out on one review for the year will be a no issue.
Anybody reading this have a better approach?
I think this dialogue is very, very helpful …there are tons of people facing the same situation. The more we are on the same page the more we set a standard.

Incorrect. If the guest leaves a review, it will be published irrespective of whether the host reviews, fouteen days from checkout. As per Airbnb:

You have 14 days after checkout to write a review for a trip. To encourage impartial and honest comments, reviews are posted only after both parties have completed their review , or when the 14-day review period has ended.

Sort of hosting 101 really.

JF

Nope. There wouldn’t really be any value at all in the review system if that were the case.

I read this misconception often. And I always ask the poster where they came by that false notion, but no one has ever answered that question. How about answering it? I’m curious.

Hope that happens for you. This scenario you had, to me, is exactly the sort of situation that Airbnb should cover. Because, yes, it’s the guest’s fault that they left the doors open, but it’s not their fault that someone entered and wreaked havoc. Nor is it the host’s fault- while hosts should certainly do everything they can to mitigate the stupid or thoughtless things guests can do, there’s only so much one can do and anticipate.

2 Likes

Well my friend that’s why you have it wrong Airbnb does not post reviews if it’s not done mutually.

That is not true Ivan. Otherwise, it would just defeat the point of reviews.

1 Like

That is in the Airbnb rules when you first sign on board. Also with some of the terrible guests we have had that always comes up when you’re talking to a supervisor or a CSR. So that still stands today; if a review isn’t put up, and they keep reminding you within a two week period to put up a review, neither review goes up. Not sure why this is the case but I can only imagine it keeps Airbnb with a positive image. Less negative reviews easier to promote the business.

@Ivan_Alzuro go to the Airbnb web site, via the link I posted, and read what Airbnb say.

Do that before you make yourself look even more foolish…

:roll_eyes:

JF

4 Likes

What makes you think that??? What then, would the purpose be of having a review system at all?

1 Like

Ivan, this is so absolutely false. The only time a guest’s review will not show up is if they don’t leave one. I thought the same when I started hosting, this forum taught me otherwise.

4 Likes

John you should have your own website you have all the answers right?

When I first started hosting I got the unfortunate “new host, horrid guest” situation and Airbnb ended up shouldering more of the expenses than the guest did. (Surprised me because the guest was :100: responsible … but a total sh"t head, bad combo for a host). Keep calm, friendly and open communication with your Airbnb rep and hopefully this will work out. I had to send pictures, receipts but it worked out in my favor. Fingers crossed for you!

I do often, you’re right there; and many of those answers have been gleaned from far more knowledgeable hosts on here.

If I don’t know an answer, I either keep my mouth shut or I go and find the right answer, just to help a fellow host.

JF

3 Likes

Please post the link to that falsity. You won’t find that written anywhere. JohnF posted the exact wording as it appears on the site. You are wrong, and everyone here knows that but you.
Are you also convinced that Trump won the election?

5 Likes

Oh Ivan, you’re making yourself look even more foolish, by the post.

Great insight though fella, I do like my wine :wine_glass:

And on that note, I’m off as its just after 9pm here and a hunk of slow cooked cochinillo awaits, along with a glass or two of some lovely aged Oloroso :smile:

JF

3 Likes