Hot tub woes and suggestions to limit access to amenities

Yes, this is it. There are tiny ones, I just am not ready. Stop mumbling and I will be fine.

RR

What is a “Super Host Manager”? I assume she is not an employee of AirBnB. I hope you fire her. As someone who lives next door to an AirBnb with a hot tub i can verify that people are LOUD in the tub. They are shouting over the sound of the jets, and usually enthusiastic on wine.
My neighbor has it clear in the rules, not outdoor socializing after 10. that has helped a lot. I would even consider putting a sign up reminding people: Hot Tub closes at 9:30. Maybe even put a timer on it so it automatically shuts off at 9:30. Thank you for being considerate about your neighbors!

2 Likes

You also might consider having one of your neighbors be in charge of alerting you as soon as things get too loud. One of my neighbors shoots me a text as soon as noise is too much so that I can call guests and nip it in the bud.
We are in the country but sound echoes in our little valley. I spell this out very clearly in the rules and in my “welcome letter” with check in info. I cite noise as being one of the infractions which may cost them their entire $750 security deposit. I’ve only had to do this once in 7 years but noise wasn’t their only issue. Cigarette butts all over the grass, messed up kitchen, etc. Grrrr.
Neighbors complaining to the police can end up getting your hosting business shut down and having to refund thousands of dollars to cancelled guests.

2 Likes

I would focus on the noise, not the amenity use. As others have suggested you can install a NoiseAware device that allows instant detection instead of waiting til the neighbors are annoyed. You can disclose this in your listing, and make sure house rules are crystal clear that violation of quiet hours will not be tolerated. This is what we do and we’ve had no issues with guests being noisy in our tubs or out of them.

But I also agree that there is no such rule in Airbnb that you can’t limit amenity access (assuming limitations are disclosed before booking).

Speaking as someone who filters for a hot tub, even when traveling by myself only, they could just be someone like me with aching joints who appreciates being able to soak in hot water in a tub they can get in and out of without assistance.

2 Likes

A laugh like you describe to hear from over the fence is a torment on so many levels; been there.

2 Likes

Personally, I would never dream of putting a hot tub in a garden where the noise would disturb the neighbours. I have a similar issue in that I don’t want the garden to be used after a certain time to prevent the garden becoming a noisy pub garden all night. To prevent this the back door automatically closes and locks at a certain time. I have also have CCTV on the back door which shows if the door has been propped open which can then send an alert if after this time people are still in the garden. This then can be followed up by me or the security firm. The rules and presence of CCTV are clearly stipulated before booking, in the check-in instructions and in the property.

1 Like

Not to mention that consuming alcohol while IN a hot tub exacerbates the effects of said alcohol! If your guests don’t know that, they can become far more inebriated than expected.

1 Like

I am sure that you are not a loud partying guest, but I will never find out because if you filter for a hot tub my listings will not come up. Too many reasons for this host not to offer it, from maintenance, noise and liability I do not see any upside.

we have a hot tub and people absolutely screen for that. ours is set to go off automatically at 10 pm problem solved

2 Likes

I have always had mine close along with the pool at sundown. It is clearly stated in my house rules. I think neighbors would tire of the noise until 10pm. I have been hosting 6 years and never had one neighbor complain. I have had guests ask to stay later and I just let them know my insurance will not allow pool and spa access after dark. I also have seen many hotels close theirs at 5 and 6pm. BTW I am a super host and have never had abb ask me to change my house rules.

We have a hot tub but its not iisted in our amenities. And guests have to walk right by it to get to the flat! lol. I’m cruel.
It’s just not worth it.
If the guest turns out to be one of our people (we have several guests we still keep in touch with and had them over for dinner or drinks during their stay), then by about the 3rd or 4th day or whenever they bring it up, we usually allow them use of it.
But I don’t want to be obligated or worried about it.

2 Likes

If she is indeed a friend, you just say “Dude, you’re loud! I love you but take it back a little bit honey!” This is what I get from all of my friends anyway. :slight_smile: I can get a bit pouty but i do realize I am in the wrong! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My house is in a resort area where hot tubs during the Winter are a very attractive amenity. Regarding the noise issue, I let my guest know that “quiet hours” are enforced by local security police, and they could be cited if violations incur.

It’s a clever cover @Keugenia but I don’t doubt that you could whoop it up with the best of 'em :wink:

@Greybeard.House Since you’ve “been in hotel management all of your life” you know that hotels do just that.

If the Host had the hours of operation in their house rules, you’d have yourself to blame, if you decided to book.

I’ve stayed at many resort hotels who had similar regulations to minimize late night disruption to other guests and neighbors. “There are reasons hotels have regulations and AirBnB’s should be no different”

2 Likes

It actually is, when I’m using quotes that you made on a different topic.

There is no steadfast rule when it comes to AirBNBs; they all have unique circumstances. You shouldn’t make assumptions that just “because it is NOT a hotel” you won’t have rules that take into account the environment that you are in.

If you’re out in the middle of nowhere and have the entire house to your party, then maybe there is not a need for quiet hours. However when you are knowingly renting an AirBN in a neighborhood or city environment you may have different requirements.

Renter Beware: Read the house rules, Inquire with the host BEFORE booking. I’ve had many inquiries prior to booking from guests asking about the pool at my listing. I provide them with directive to the house rules and fill in any additional information from their questions. I have not had a disappointed or “irritated” guest yet because they were aware and informed.

2 Likes

I so appreciate the many responses in this chain. It is clear, at least to me, that there is a good deal of shared wisdom. It also clear that the presence of the hottub presents significant questions regarding noise/ liability/ guest relations. It is also an issue that places a spotlight on the unforeseen difficulties that I have been “stumbling” into over the past year and a half of being an operator. Reading the many different and at times opposing responses is quite literally what I have been “struggling” with before reaching out to this wonderful forum.

The collective advice will help me as I focus on the guest experience (expectations/ safety/ hygiene/ preferences) , maintaining excellent community relationships, and on the management of house amenities so to best avoid problems rather than react to them. Wow, sounds easy…

Thanks to all who have shared. I am better due to your efforts. And for any novice who has started hosting in their home, it will you well to carefully read and understand all of what has been shared on this website

2 Likes

If you’ve chosen your STR insurance well then you should be covered for liability, especially if what you provide is known to the insurance company. In many areas, you need to show proof of your insurance when you apply for your license so any anomalies would probably be noticed when you’re inspected.

I know people who have one, and … for similar reasons … took it off their list of amenities and didn’t have it filled up, so that people couldn’t use it, no temptation. As well as neighbour worries, they were also concerned about hygiene issues and they are also difficult and expensive to maintain. If its’ not in the listing, no constraints/disappointments. You could also then, possibly, have it available to just couples? Then it’s rather a lovely surprise?