Hosts vs guests staying

I currently have a guest who is also a host. This is my first guest that has a listing of their own.

So far he has been my favourite guest and we have had long conversations about hosting. Such as where we buy things. How we deal with things and just general advice.

He follows all the rules and basically treats the place very well.

I was wondering what your experiences of hosts vs guests staying with you?

Do they make better guests because they also host?

2 Likes

Have had a few hosts stay as guests and yes, they make great guests so far as they ā€œgetā€ it!

1 Like

We have had a few hosts stay. One did a full cleaning before leaving and left a nice card.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had a few and unfortunately, with two notable exceptions, they were among my worst guests! Maybe they thought my place wasnā€™t as good as theirs, they were pretty snooty :frowning: And one kept badgering me for a discount.

4 Likes

My experience too! It didnā€™t help that I got a bad case of low self esteem when I peeked at their listing and saw all the granite and stainless steel! One recent guest had two cancellations as a host and I considered declining. But was glad I didnā€™t as they turned out to be really great. Yah just never know about people!

1 Like

I hosted some hosts two weeks ago. They were in their late 50s/early 60s. They said they wanted to stay for a family party in the neighbor town and there is nothing left to rent. While booking they explained that it would be so nice to let them stay for only one night because they know how much work it is. Some days after booking they gave me a call and asked if it was okay to bring two more people, they would pay cash. I agreed.

On check-in day only one person arrived. She didnā€™t knock or ring she just entered the apartment. I found her accidentally while she was carrying her stuff inside. I asked if she wants to see the rest of the house or the kitchen and she said no, she just wants to pick up the key. Then she left and joined the other guests at the party. They returned late so I didnā€™t see them.

Next morning I looked out the window and saw them packing their bags into the cars. I went down to welcome them, offered some coffee and asked them if they want to have breakfast. They declined. I talked some words with them about hosting. They said something like ā€œyour house is at the end of the worldā€, ā€œhard to drive there when itā€™s darkā€, ā€œusually there should be a kitchen in the apartmentā€, "At our placeā€¦"
My listing makes quite clear what to expect.

They wrote a nice review but rated 4* and 3* only. In their personal feedback they complained.

• You did not show us the kitchen on arrival or while we were staying (When should I? In the middle of the night?)
  • Instead of the kitchen we only had a fridge
  • Parking was difficult (Drunk? I have enough space for 4 extra cars. They had two.)

I donā€™t know what to think. Maybe they wanted to make clear that they like their place most. Itā€™s in their personality and has nothing to do with hosts per se.
I learned that I will never accept guests again that actually donā€™t want to stay at my place first but just need to stay somewhere.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only had one other host stay with me and they rent out vintage travel trailers near a national park, nothing like my listing. They also worked with animals, heā€™s a retired vet and she is a retired groomer. So we had a lot in common and I enjoyed their visit but they werenā€™t any better than anyone else. I guess Iā€™ve just had exceptionally good guests.

1 Like

I would not have agreed to more people, cash or not. They were already changing the terms, red flag I think.

1 Like

Youā€™re right.
I wanted to do them a favor. It was not about money - I charge ā‚¬5 per extra person.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only had one host book - they arrived while I was out, rummaged through the room then sent me a message saying they couldnā€™t possibly stay as I have pets and the partner had allergies. Not sure how they missed it in the listing as it is all there. I sent them two very nice messages trying to end it all well and they didnā€™t bother replyingā€¦oh well!

Being a host you would expect them to look through the amenities and see that pets are listed. How long did they book? Did they cancel it?

1 Like

How bloody rude! Unbelievable. Please tell me you gave them the damning review that they deserve.

2 Likes

@Paul_Janaway Iā€™ve actually already posted the story previously - they called AirBnB who refunded them but didnā€™t penalise me. They were Superhosts and I was not at that stage, not sure if that made any difference?! AirBnB said I had added pets to my listing AFTER these guys booked, it just wasnā€™t true but I had no way of proving it ā€¦ thereā€™s also a huge delay on the phone line whenever I talk to Air and we kept talking over each other and it all just got too hard so I let it go and just put it down to experience. But it definitely stung more because they were hostsā€¦not laypeople!

1 Like

Hmm that sucks :frowning:

1 Like

That really sucks! Did you sign anything saying you wouldnā€™t tell anyone in a public forum who they are? LOL. I want to make sure I never book with them.

3 Likes

That is not enough. I think these stuck up hosts took advantage of you!

1 Like

I regret not doing it. They were strange but I donā€™t need to make friends with every guest and as there was nothing to complain about from my side they got a good review.

Nuts that hosts would act like thisā€¦ knowing these are bugaboos that bother hosts. Good riddanceā€¦ maybe add them to our private Bad Guest blacklist!

1 Like

Ha ha I love your thinking Dusty! They were from Melbourne, Australia but after a quick stalking just now I see theyā€™ve moved to the UKā€¦:smiling_imp:

1 Like

I have had nothing but great exchanges and results with the many (at least 15+) hosts that have come to my place; butā€¦perhaps because our places are indeed so different from each other, all kinds of human psychological ā€˜issuesā€™ have not come into play.

2 Likes