Hosts reviewing other hosts

That’s terrible - so nobody will see an honest review of this host, because you are ‘protecting’ them? SMH…

2 Likes

Terrible is right and ultimately self defeating since crummy hosts hurt all of us.

2 Likes

Possibly I was being a bit extreme, I did say unless things were incredibly bad. If it was just a minor niggle I would give 5 stars but mention it in the private comments. I certainly would not give another host 4 stars for a blown lightbulb, host pointing out how ratings really work in a house manual or something else spurious that can result in 4 star rating these days.

Ultimately I refuse to be drawn into the guests v hosts environment that AirBNB is fostering & maybe this is making me swing the other way.

I always give other hosts 5 stars if I want to stay there again.

Good point. Since I only stay at 5 star places I wouldn’t be going back to a place that didn’t get 5 stars overall. I might deduct a star in a category though and still be willing to stay again.

1 Like

I just stayed at an AirBnb which had a broken glass in the cupboard, the toilet wasn’t that clean and the outside of the bowl looked like it hadn’t been wiped for awhile, the ceiling fan was thick with dust, crumbs on the alfoil in oven grill. The place probably needs a deep clean. I want to stay again as it’s convenient but their cleaner obviously isn’t that good. I don’t know how to review. I messaged host about glass and also that the electric blanket had been left on but they were not really concerned.

We always tell hosts to review guests honestly but we also say “would you host them again?” So I guess if you are willing to stay there again, then skip the review rather than lie. It’s not a place I’d stay twice but to each their own.

1 Like

Honestly.

The only reason I would tame the review down is it is the ONLY place that accommodates my dog and it is in a convenient location but cleanliness is ho hum.

A couple of years ago I stayed in an Airbnb rental which was far off the mark. I had to give the host a bad review because that’s only fair to potential guests.

I also called Airbnb and reported the host. The review system is there for a reason, not to be ‘nice’.

2 Likes