Hosts reviewing other hosts

Exactly. As a host I know that location rating is redundant. I chose a place based on how close is to the point I need to be at. If I book I know exactly how far it is from where i need to go. Prospective guests ask me before booking “how far is your place from x”. Why we do have the location rating beats me. Also beats me that people would give it 3 or 4 * rating. Hosts as guests who do this must be really mentally challenged, for lack of a better expression.

I’d confirm exactly where in the UK they are from before using the term “brit”. Seriously.

JF

2 Likes

Originally from Manchester

Reality check: a) My German guest said it, not me b) There are a good few “Brits” in the pub next door that I would prefer not to host, ever.

Good luck tonight!

Dual, Irish/Scottish.

If you called me a “brit”, I’d ask you not to.

JF

1 Like

Anglo Irish here. My Irish passport is, hopefully, on it’s way as I never felt the need for one before.

As a child I was firmly Anglo Irish but lapsed in adulthood until now, pre-Brexit.

Snap! I had no idea I had Irish grandparents till I started researching family tree. My mother was an orphan and knew next to nothing about her parents and the surname is not typically Irish but it turns out the were both from Wexford so I also have Irish passport rights. I was going to apply before the whole Brexit thingy as I liked the idea of having two passports, and it’s very pretty with the harp on the cover! Must get round to sending off my application …

At heart I do feel “English” though (not British) in spite of (or because of?) having lived in six other countries and less than half of my life in the UK. It’s probably more of a sentimental thing … land of Shakespeare and Elgar and all that …

Sorry to be so off-topic - it’s late!!

1 Like

I really HATE being called a bloody Brit. I’m a Yorkshirewoman first and foremost. Secondly, I’m English. And how come it’s politically incorrect to abbreviate other nationalities to the first four letters but people think ‘Brit’ is okay?

I’m usually on the same page as you @jaquo but this time I have to protest. Please, please don’t trivialise anti-semitism and racial/country prejudice/discrimination this way. You said it yourself - hosts are “a random group of people” so there is no comparison.

Hosts being bad guests IS a thing. It comes up over and over again on forums and FB groups etc. It’s like the old adage of doctors being the worst patients. They think they know best and that rules don’t apply to them because they’re … I don’t know… part of the club and have license to critique to the max?

I’ve had such host-guests. They were truly horrible. Mostly they were inexperienced hosts (less than 50 reviews) and had a completely different kind of listing to me.

I’ve also had experienced superhosts as guests too. They have always been fine because they get it. They all left good reviews and ratings and occasionally left valuable feedback.

6 Likes

No I mean, if I were a GUEST on airbnb I would be nice to the HOST

If by “majority” you mean “minority,” correct.

You’ve had 15 splendid host/guests. That’s wonderful. It’s not the general experience of the majority of us.

When your luck changes, do NOT come crying to the majority of us, who are not expats on the Costa del Something, do not share any of your property characteristics, are in many cases 4,000 - 8,000 miles from you, and have to deal with a much more general visiting host population.

1 Like

My only less than 5 star review was from my only host-guest. I have about 50 reviews.

The host-guest got a super discount price, then complained about something in his review that I could have fixed if he told me about it during his stay, and also put a lie about the amenities that I also could have rectified if he had contacted me about it during his stay.

Now I realise I can’t generalise based one one experience but after searching through this and other forums I have found a number of people complaining about hosts being more demanding than other guests.

Just saying.

2 Likes

Yep it’s an endless refrain, hosts tend to be hyper-critical of other hosts. Didn’t used to be that way at all.

1 Like

No you are not correct @PuppyLover I mean what I wrote; majority!!

By majority I am talking about the millions of hosts who host around the world, not a few regulars who post on this forum - who are not representative of the ‘majority’ of hosts globally or even representative of the thousands of hosts who are members here but don’t post regularly.

Expat on the costa del sol…where on earth did you get that idea dearie? I’ve never even been there !! @PuppyLover

I really don’t know why you are getting your knickers in a twist about this.

You have absolutely no idea about the sort of guests visit my property - other than what I have said in this forum.

And why would you wish bad luck on a fellow host here, that’s just plain nasty :frowning:

Your false assumptions about my hosting situation, do make you look rather silly.

4 Likes

We just had a woman who introduced herself as a host. She booked for February of next year. I was out of the house that day to tour my husband’s new studio project, I noticed her booking was for next year so I wanted to wait until I got home to take a look. After 8 hours she texts us to press us to confirm if there’s pool heating. Well, it says so right in our listing. When I responded to her that evening to inform her of pool heating and what the daily charge was she canceled without even saying a word. I feel like we dodged a bullet there.

3 Likes

I also think it counts for something that this is a forum for fellow hosts. So it is more like putting a mirror up and hopefully shedding light on our own behaviors that may come off or be perceived as rude or bad guests. To me, it is like when the Chinese government issued that warning to its own tourists to watch their behavior in order to build a better reputation as travelers for themselves and their country. It is not offensive.

Our worst Super Host guest specifically operated with the assumption that hosts were the absolute best guests. I wouldn’t wish her on any of you.

5 Likes

Sol actually, but I don’t see why living in a place where I wasn’t born should make me ineligible for expressing my opinion on the subject.

Two 1-bedroom small apartments attached to our main house - sounds pretty standard to me.

I don’t quite understand this, but I’ve had hosts from Spain, the UK, France, South Africa and the US, which seems a general selection. Admittedly I haven’t had many Host/Guests, which was why I was careful to state that I wasn’t disagreeing with the “majority” but that I was surprised to hear this opinion, as, being a host myself I would not act in that way and was saddened that other hosts had had that experience. You say that “the majority” of hosts find other host-guests to be a problem, but might you consider that in general people on boards like ours tend to comment when things go wrong … good news is less interesting.

Incidentally, I personally found your post rude (and AFAIK I am one of only two or three posters who could be described as “expats on the Costa del something”) and think you should retract it.

3 Likes

Apologies, I truly didn’t mean to trivialise.

3 Likes

Thank you for apologising Jaquo. You have set an exemplary example to fellow members, who will take note I hope.

4 Likes

You do your fellow hosts 4000-8000 miles away, very few favours by being so patently rude to hosts, not of your culture, with your crass assumptions.

I would tend to rest my case on my own, earlier, cultural assumptions, if I didn’t know better.

5 Likes