Hosts only forum?

I am seeing alarming unkind posts from someone who does not appear to be a host on this site. Is this not our forum to help each other as hosts. Who is Muddy?

Muddy is a host. Who are you?

@Monrampyr1 Alarming unkind posts? I admit I’m not always the most tactful person, but I’m hardly the only host on here with strong opinions they’re not shy about expressing.
Yes, I’m a host. Have been for 3 and a half years. 100% 5* reviews. Never traveled as a guest.

7 Likes

Hmm. Someone who joined 13 hours ago is questioning someone who’s been on this board since November. Nice way to introduce yourself @Monrampyr1

4 Likes

And your hosting history / experience is? We get all sorts here…hosts, potential hosts, students, people wanting to sell product, guests and of course TROLLS!

4 Likes

How do you know this?

I’ve seen their listing.

1 Like

@SNC and @Monrampyr1

While the focus and topics on this Forum are AirBNB Host centric, it is a public forum. Despite the title:

• There are hosts who are no longer on AirBNB; some are on Craigslist, VRBO, direct, etc.
  • Some here are former hosts
  • There have been some AirBNB guests who came here to understand / question hosts so they could have a perspective that maybe they didn’t understand.
  • And, lastly, there have been some nonhosts who participate here because they were planning to eventually host and are using this forum to educate themselves by very experienced and willing host forum members

So to answer the topic question that @Monrampyr1 created: NO, this is not a Hosts only forum; it is welcoming to all, as long as people are respectful and willing to appreciate different opinions on subjects that are focused on AirBNB hosting.

Yes, it can get a little animated and divergent but the moderators do their best to ensure dialogue for all, within respectful guidelines. If you choose to continue to participate I hope that you will take all that into consideration.

If you both are looking for something that is more EXCLUSIVE to AirBNB hosting, I suggest that you check out the AirBNB community forum.

6 Likes

I’m actually quite supportive to many other hosts. I’m not supportive to hosts who take long-term housing off the market to str in places where there is a housing crisis. Which is probably what you were referring to when you accused me of being “alarming and unkind” in my response to your first post on this forum.
Hosts who buy up or rent houses to turn into strs are exactly the kind of hosts who cause cities to ban strs, because locals can no longer find affordable housing where they live and work. Those houses also tend to be the ones that attract partiers who disturb the neighbors. So in fact, it is those type of hosts who are unsupportive to other hosts, who simply rent out a room or two in the home they live in, create a private suite in their homes or a separate dwelling on their property, or rent out a vacation home which they and their family also use for part of the year. These hosts are not taking long-term housing off the market, don’t cause any disturbance in the neighborhood, and don’t give locals and govts any reason to ban strs.

6 Likes

And houses that aren’t suitable for long term rentals…

And I note that the OP has not made any further comment.

1 Like

In any case I think things will be quite different the next 10 years for the STR business than they were the last 10. Many of these issues are going to resolve themselves.

3 Likes

I recently interviewed people with cleaning businesses to stand in for me if I had an emergency and could not be here to maintain our property.
I was shocked to hear several of them had long-time clients who owned homes at key locations on our river. The clients, who were not Florida residents, bought three and four bedroom homes and put in wall-to-wall beds to pack in as many guests as possible.
One that was mentioned had a four bedroom house and even put four bunk beds in every room so he could rent to 18 to 20 guests. He had beds in the living room, family room, etc.
He had multiple houses outfitted this way and very few of the guests knew each other.
My goal is to offer a reasonably price place to stay that is clean and enjoyable.
Staying in a dormitory-type home in my opinion, couldn’t possibly been a positive experience.

People have been doing it for decades in hostels. For many young people it was the only way to afford to travel the world. What really had to be unpleasant for are the resident homeowners who now live next to a hotel in the middle of their residential street.

I hope the crisis helps get rid of these modern day slum lords.

3 Likes

@kaiserdr It could be okay for a bunch of backpackers, or a family reunion, but I’ve read posts from guests who arrived to that sort of listing and the issue they had was that the host wasn’t forthcoming about the situation in the listing- it sounded like it was a shared-home situation with the host, not a hostel-pack-a-bunch-of-unrelated-strangers-in scenario. So a quiet middle-aged guest who thought they were getting a room in a private home with the hosts were faced with a communal situation with other guests who left the kitchen and bathroom a filthy mess, yakked loudly on their phones in communal areas or blasted their music without regard for others.

@muddy, I’d say you’ve reached notoriety! :rofl:

3 Likes

Is there a badge for that? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Well I don’t see any badge on there for “Most alarming and unkind posts”. Probably just an oversight.

5 Likes

LOL. That’s because newcomers who “speak first, read later, then disappear” don’t get to give badges.

1 Like