Hosts need to start leaving honest reviews!

I think we could write in “code” and other hosts would totally get it.
i had a guest show me a PIN PRICK dot on a pillowcase-identfying it as a “clean stain"
as it was not new; i offered to change the pillow, but
"it didn’t bother her, but may turn off other guests”

For her feedback I wrote
" as a guest she had an acute attention to every detail"
Hoping other Hosts will get that mean
"big pain!"

1 Like

yes, this guest sounds like she’s not only high maintenance, but so unreasonable and entitled. i agree there needs to be a middle ground for leaving honest reviews without tearing folks down. i confess i’ve had a couple of guests who i didn’t leave reviews for because i really wanted to leave a mostly bad review, and I regret that because other hosts will not be aware of their issues. y’all are amplifying my recommitment to leaving honest reviews regardless of the situation

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of writing in code. I would have said “excruciating detail.” LOL!

6 Likes

I agree. I never write in code. What is the point? I will state FACTS as long as I keep it factual and leave out any emotions of personal opinion just facts. I have left some very bad reviews on people (who deserved it), but I just stated what happened. My reviews have never beennremoved.

8 Likes

@Elizabeth I wish hosts would say what they mean rather than using generic phrases or ‘code’.

I wouldn’t get that you meant the guest was a pain from you writing that :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yea, its not like she really did anything wrong- and I couldn’t write
"she pointed out the most minute defects of my home"

She was a bad guest by being so demanding and nit picking. Most of us would decline that person straightaway.

3 Likes

You do not have to host someone if they are making you feel uncomfortable in your own home. It’s not just about breaking house rules.

She did try the parent my child which was NOT her place. She had a problem with other guests being in the house, she had a problem with a cat being in the house, all which were listed prior to her booking. You sound like the type of host that would not care to warn other hosts.

1 Like

(Houston, I think we have a disconnect here.)

1 Like

i know that @LorenaAZ I was just giving @Terrance some examples. That’s why I put ‘etc.’ at the end of the sentence. :slight_smile:

Much easier to get a guest out for tangibles thought i.e. they brought guests into the property who hadn’t booked and paid or they played loud music at two a.m. for the last three nights, rather than having to demonstrate how a guest made you ‘feel uncomfortable’, which is something normally used when deciding whether to accept a booking ie they wanted to go outside of Airbnb, they wanted to bring extra guests but not pay for them.

Airbnb was fully supportive. So, I am not sure why other hosts say its so hard. Its just as easy to kick someone out for making you feel uncomfortablr as it is for breaking rules. It’s my house and Airbnb is not going to tell me what justifies me feeling uncomfortable.

1 Like

They cancelled because she made me, my family and other guests feel uncomfortable. She didn’t have to break rules.

Unfortunately age descrimination is the only discrimination people can make and talk about it freely. That needs to change!!

3 Likes

I congratulate you for taking such a strong stance! I would have done the same.

I have had only had one incident when the couple had a fight in their room heard by the whole household, totally shameless! I trod softly and used my life experience, (I am 59) to diffuse the situation. However, I would have called for assitance, if the temperature had escalated by that much!

1 Like

I had Instantbook for most of them, and supposedly there’s a “cancel penalty-free” situation with them. I really think it varies depending on your situation and who you get on the phone. One time I kicked out a guy who walked around my place in his underwear (tight briefs) not because of this violation, but because he picked a verbal fight with me and got to into a scuffle with my cohost after I nicely asked him to put pants on. The Airbnb rep I got on the phone was like, “aw hell naw” and took my side. But they removed my review. And fortunately his review, since it was long and rambling and hateful and insane.

3 Likes

I had a long hateful insane review from a pig that they refused to remove. I don’t know why I never have luck with that,

They have done it to me as well. Once the guest was potentially dangerous, with real dark triad traits and I begged Airbnb to leave my review to protect other hosts, particularly lone females but they insisted on taking both down.

Oh my, what a horrible guest. Good you got her out of there, and kind of you to let her sleep till dawn! I am sorry that hosts are afraid to be honest, in a ‘nice’ way, in their reviews. Otherwise, what good is the review system?~! It just needs to be objective and stated appropriataely…as much as we want to really say it like it is. It makes you wonder how anyone can be so demanding, particularly, when they were fortunate to get a room at 9 p.m. So sorry for you, your son and cat and other guests!

1 Like

@Roro Suggestion: If you know you’re going to get a retaliatory review, wait 13 days, so other reviews have accumulated before writing your review. Then the icky review will at least be a few reviews down the page.

3 Likes