Hosts! Let's hear about your area, and why you love it!

Almost forgot to mention another area we list in: Dutchess County, NY. Situated in the foothills of the Berkshires, down to the wetlands of the Great Swamp, the Harlem Valley of Dutchess County has many old New England town, and is famous for being a quick getaway from New York City, with easy access to metro-North. With many hiking trails and nature preserves, the Appalachian Trail is probably the most famous, and cross the valley, heads up Quaker Hill, and north to the Berkshire. A perfect place to visit when you just need a break from the hustle and bustle!

3 Likes

That sounds so like the left/right arguments in our North/South divided UK, particularly with regard to London and SE, particularly your bit about welfare mothers and tax take. Years ago, I nearly hit my sister when she complained, from her very wealthy ivory tower, about single mums getting pregnant to they got into social housing programmes. A few years later, she was quite happy for her single parent daughter to receive tax credits etc, which she topped up on the quiet, to a very good living indeed. She nearly hit me when I asked if this was morally responsible! We haven’t spoken for years!

3 Likes

@Joan my characterization - while it sounds like the contemporary social divide - is from being born and raised in the dairy country of the Western Tier of New York State in the Finger Lakes area. I remember learning the basics of “debating” in around 2nd grade and I was the ONLY person who would argue the value of cities and New York City in particular. I heard the welfare mother argument in the 70s. Almost all my classmates, friends and neighbors had never been in NYC and I think that is true today. In truth, I had never been to NYC until I was 31, but I took to it like a duck to water. Also, I can say without hesitation, upstate New York has some deeply racists rivers running through it. Not everywhere, not everyone, but deep. The schools of New York State are some of the most segregated in the country.

2 Likes

Noosa Heads Queensland Down Under, year round holiday resort as we’re sub-tropical so great weather most of the year round. Surrounded by beautiful beaches, lakes and everglades, mountains, stunning nature, wildlife and of course koalas (get these in my street!) and kangaroos. Loads to do around here no matter what your fancy (except nightlife maybe - everyone is in bed by 9.30 pm and you could shoot a canon down the main street and not hit anyone!) Year round festivals - surfing, jazz/music, food, culture, one of the biggest triathlons in the world (so they say), amping up the art scene with yearly growing art studio trail, Noosa Open Studios (which I’m part of and my Airbnb studio turns into a gallery for 3 days with 200 odd people through). Here are a few of my local pics.

P1050858|690x459Uploading… Uploading… Uploading… Uploading…

5 Likes

Lovely! Thank you!..

1 Like

Question… is the second to the last pic a billabong?

1 Like

They call it Lake Cootharraba, there are about 3 that come off a river system. It’s also here our everglades are.

1 Like

Here are a few reasons to consider visiting Cape Breton in Canada!

Winner of multiple Readers’ Choice awards in USA Today, 2017! Cape Breton’s Cabot Trail was ranked first in Canada for best scenic drive, the Cape Breton Highlands captured first place in Canada for best national park, and Bras d’Or Lake ranked third for the best cottage region in the country.

Fortress of Louisbourg: Go back in time! The largest reconstruction project in North America with more than a dozen buildings open to the public including three authentic working 18th century restaurants. During the summer months hundreds of re-enactors or “animators” of all ages, from wealthy merchants to poor soldiers, populate the streets of the restored fortress working, playing, and living life as they would have in 1744.

The many ceilidhs and Gaelic events all summer and autumn, culminating in the international Celtic Colours, for 9 days in October. Concerts, dances, workshops, community suppers, and more, against a gorgeous backdrop of autumn colours.

The Cabot Trail and its many hiking trails, waterfalls, virgin maple forests…

The food… and wine… and beer… and scotch! Don’t miss Glenora Inn and Distillery, or the Big Spruce Brewery.

The people. Nobody friendlier anywhere!

The exchange rate! Right now $1.00 USD is $1.26 CAD.

C’mon up, or “down” as they say in Cape Breton!cape%20breton6

cape%20breton2

4 Likes