Hosts! Let's hear about your area, and why you love it!

Those of you with established rentals must feel like you hit the jackpot. Horse people have bucks. I’m on a different, smaller scale but I feel lucky that I started Airbnb when I did. My town is perking up and it seems like suddenly I am getting a lot more people who want to go to Marfa and Big Bend National Park and really all the NPs around here. All the Airbnbs near those are twice as much as ones here so people spend a night here and get up early the next day or come in late from the other places.

Have you ever had anyone ask to bring their horse?

1 Like

No, have they ever asked to bring the horses on the cabin property?

This is interesting, as I have had horse people ask about this. I have to say no, I can’t allow it, as there are many caveats. I have a listing out in the country, with plenty of room for horses, but I have to make sure the hay is weed-free or something (I am also not a horse person), and I know from experience as a landlord that 1 horse will ruin an acre of lawn in about a week. Owners would not be appreciating that at all!

1 Like

Something about that Drump photo she chose cracked me up. :joy: But what a global embarrassment. :weary:

1 Like

Yes, have they ever wanted to pull in with the horse and trailer and just keep the horse there overnight while checking in the cabin? :rofl::rofl: Maybe ride it on the trails by your house…No one has ever asked?

I don’t think so. My ex sister in law used to show Saddlebreds. The family didn’t even trailer the horse to shows. They paid someone to take it from the stables to the show and back.

1 Like

53dd148a705863c1e2b31ffc968db139--new-mexico-beautiful-pictures![3609b6e07585c627bdd3033677fdd725_w600_h600_cp_sc|500x500](upload://l4wuSg1kWLKqASYKvAOChhxNKY5.jp

We have only lived here a year now, but it feels like home! Carlsbad, NM is literally 2 hours from everything else, but we have everything that I personally feel a small town needs. Beautiful natural spaces like the Carlsbad Caverns, Sitting Bull Falls, Brantley Lakes State Park, abd close to White Sands and Guadalupe Mountains state park a little further out. I love the Riverwalk because it is so rare to see so much flowing water here in the desert. The weather is great, hot but not as bad as Phoenix, and I LOVE the summer monsoon thunderstorms. And there is something truly magical about New Mexico sunsets.

lake-carlsbad-recreation

8 Likes

I’m okay with people bringing their dogs inside but I draw the line at horses.

5 Likes

Ok, The Bronx, NY! Reeaaaallly! see if you can spot the Manhattan skyline in one photo. Why I love it? Close to the heart of NYC yet a world away.

9 Likes

Keep these coming!! I just love this thread! :two_hearts:

1 Like

My corner of the Catskills is around Kaaterskill Clove - the home and inspiration for the Hudson River School of art. The Clove, painted by Thomas Cole, Frederick Church and Asher B. Durand, still inspires. I love all of New York State - from @Maggieroni’s City Island in the Bronx, from Manhattan (my primary home), to Lake Champlain. The Empire State!

durand

6 Likes

I know your area pretty well! I used to visit friends in Oneonta, and drove through your area frequently. I loved the areas around Delhi, and to the southwest. NY has many hidden gems like the Catskills.

Oneonta and Delhi are pretty far west, but it is in the ballpark.

I’m in NYC, BUT…

My neighborhood is a real neighborhood. Shop keepers stand in the doorways on quiet afternoons and chat if you have the time. Cute babies get a free cookie. On hot summer nights the locals migrate to the park next to the East River, flirt, eat ice cream, sit in their folding chairs and listen to their car stereos.

We were apple orchards, then rich Manhattanites built vacation homes here in the 1800s. Steinway opened their factory here, and then the workers came. The first wave were Irish, they built all the Catholic churches. Then the Greeks came, with fish restaurants and Orthodox churches that are so beautiful on the inside, the walls look like stained glass. Then we got Turks, Bengladeshi and Afghans bringing stories, hookah bars and mosques. Now there’s waves of hipsters and Latinx, Japanese and Koreans starting to settle here, and we’re teaching each other how to compost and demand more from our local schools and politicians.

All the new restaurants open here, because the young chefs can’t afford Manhattan rents.

And i can hop on the train and be in times square, Subway maintenance allowing, in under 30 minutes.

It is the best.

8 Likes

Sounds so cool… where is it?

Alia, how about some pictures of amazing Astoria!
I was married the first time at the Astoria Manor on Broadway

1 Like

I’m having trouble finding good ones that aren’t already in my listing! :grin:

https://goo.gl/images/UEjx1c

https://goo.gl/images/SZ8Ek2

I love that last one because it’s directly across from our community garden. This will be its tenth year, and ours, too.

Our architecture is meh, but our food is delicious! :smile:

1 Like

@cabinhost conservative Upstate New York has a love-hate relationship with NYC. They hate NYC but they love to pretend it isn’t where all the tax dollars come from. They would rather focus on the imaginary “welfare mothers” in rent stabilized apartments that are somehow taking money from them. Upstate New York can be very much like a New England town - insular and unwelcoming to strangers.

2 Likes

but don’t mean a bit of it. If you don’t belong to the right church, which means their church, then they are nice as can be when you run into them on the street, but you aren’t going to be invited to their BBQ. Superficial niceness doesn’t actually mean welcoming - I want to explore being your friend.

I did seven years in North Carolina, and am not in touch with even one person that I didn’t know before I moved there.

1 Like