Hosts: Guests must work w/ you to resolve an issue to qualify for refund

OK I didn’t realize this until today, and I don’t see this discussed earlier on the forum (MODS: tell me if I missed an earlier thread?), BUT …

If a guest leaves for minor matters and doesn’t give the host a chance to resolve them, AirBNB will NOT consider their claim for a full refund very favorably due to these two listed policies:

See: What is Airbnb’s Guest Refund Policy for homes?

If you experience a travel issue that prevents you from being able to complete a trip with Airbnb, and **you’re unable to resolve with your host**, our Guest Refund Policy may be applied in certain circumstances.

and:

What should I do if something’s missing or not as expected when I check in?

If you notice that something is missing, not working, or otherwise not what you expected when you check in, you can take the following steps:

1. Contact your host: If you give your host the chance to fix an issue, this is the fastest way to make sure you get what you need. You can then continue with your reservation as planned.

Deets in post to follow.

Situation is that I had a guest from the West Coast check in at 2 a.m. this morning. I had killed myself to polish to a gleam, or so I thought, his suite.

I hadn’t had a guest in the suite in many months due to my little legal saga with Air, so I constantly found areas to patch, add touch-up paint, scrub, add grout renewer, vacuum and mop, vacuum and mop, and again. Cleaned the windows and sills. Used pumice stone on all cloth surfaces to remove lint. Thought the room looked nice and cozy.

After draining the toilet bowl and scrubbing the sides with homemade Soft Scrub, I noted the handle not working. Just my luck, the toilet lever broke. I took it apart and attempted to use Rapid Fuse High-Strength glue on it to jury rig the lever until the hardware store reopened this a.m. I messaged the guest to note I had discovered this problem and would have the toilet repaired in the a.m.

I texted the guest this a.m. to say I was on my way to get the toilet lever. He said he was freezing in the room. I said, the heater is to the right of the desk. (Fairly visible I would think.) I helped him turn it on. I asked was he warm enough under the artificial down duvet??? That’s like a freakin’ sleeping bag IMO. He didn’t want to answer.

When I got back from the hardware store, lever in my hot little hand, ready to offer him bacon and eggs for breakfast (an extra, not on my listing), he had checked out, with a five bullet-point list – freezing room, stained pillowcases (Yes, I found a faintly discernable mark on one pillowcase, I will oxy-clean it out), pet hair on the reading chair cover (I found lint and what looked like one of my grey hairs, again, easy to wash it).

He said the room smelled like pets, which is weird since they are not allowed in there. I will get this independently tested by someone who doesn’t have pets. He might have smelled touchup paint, wrinkle remover on the cover, Weiman floor cleaner, who knows. Of course we all air rooms between guests to avoid this very problem, pets or no.

Anyway, I called and wrote in the Air system to the guest to offer him at no extra cost an even nicer suite across the hallway. Sent him an offer for the other suite, which is more naturally warm due to flanking rowhouses. He said the originally suite “wasn’t what he expected” and wasn’t coming back. I said, “Well, I guess you don’t want to work with people, I would like to work with you.”

ANYWAY, that leads us via the long way to AirBNB CSX noting that the guest had asked for a refund for all but the first night, but that this guest had not followed AirBNB policy to work first with the host before cancelling. So I was not obligated to do more than a flexible policy refund.

Sharing since I think this may help others.

5 Likes

Yes, this is something all hosts should be aware of! In the same way that we need to submit damage claims according to their timelines (ie. before the next guest checks in), guests need to contact the host with issues and allow them time to fix it before leaving and requesting a refund. In some circumstances where they’re unable to contact the host, Airbnb will give the green light for a guest to leave and issue a refund. Still, step one is alerting the host and Airbnb.

Read those boring terms and conditions, payment policies, and guest refund policies! Knowledge is power and it’s your best defense against a entitled guest or CSR that doesn’t know their stuff.

2 Likes

It’s something that we’ve often mentioned on this forum, that if a guest has any problem then the first thing they should do is contact the host and give him/her the opportunity to resolve it. Hosting, or being an Airbnb guest, is not a power struggle; it’s not some weird sort of supremacy fight to see who’s top dog.

I’m not quite sure where the attitude originated that guests (and sometimes hosts) call Airbnb and expect them to resolve a problem without even trying to sort it out like human beings. A product of us all being so accustomed to life spent in virtual worlds? I don’t know. But I’ve know of hosts (for example) who have contacted Airbnb about an issue with a guest when the guest has been under the same roof. I wonder sometimes if face-to-face communication has almost died out.

It surprises me that people start hosting without reading all the ins and outs @Allison_H mentioned.

3 Likes

Exactly. I think guests think that “I have quibbles” means they can get a refund.

The policy (link) is much more limited:

Eligible travel issues

Situations that may be eligible for a refund under this policy generally fall into one of three categories:

• The host fails to provide reasonable access to the booked listing.
  • The listing is misrepresented (ex: number of bedrooms, location, lacks promised amenities).
  • The listing isn’t generally clean, is unsafe, or there’s an animal in the listing that wasn’t disclosed prior to booking.

Thanks again for a detailed and useful post.

It seems to me that we have had hosts who have been in similar situations and have acted accordingly yet the guest was refunded. I could be wrong. That’s the thing about similar threads, Airbnb seems inconsistent so I don’t think there can be one definitive thread.

The other thing is that he is going to leave you a bad review (and you the same for him of course) but that is the kind of thing that really bothers a lot of hosts and some host report that said reviews have a bad impact on their search rank.

2 Likes

Yep, I am resigned to this, but I will give my side in my review.

(Ever wonder if the Universe is trying to tell you something? In this case, to hang it up w. STRs.)

In my welcome message when guest first check in I mention that if they have any issues to be sure to let me know so that I can resolve the issues. I do this basically for the very reason that Airbnb says that in most cases host should be given the chance to remedy the issue.

1 Like

People hate conflict many don’t want to ask or complain to your face, they prefer to go through the help desk OR just leave a bad review about something you could have fixed and were not told about!

If someone starts complaining I figure I’ve gotta let them go and refund nights not stayed maybe help them find another place good riddance hoping they will not leave a bad review.

Involving Airbnb support is not always great for the host! I had a guest once complain about slow internet (not down, just slow - speed of internet not mentioned on my listing) that the IP couldn’t find/fix, and Airbnb helpdesk said I should refund half (!) of his 1000 per week stay despite (!) him refusing to leave with refund or be moved for free to another property with high speed internet. In that case I would have preferred he leave and I reimburse it all.

There’s absolutely no reason why it should be conflict. If a host has a friendly relationship with his/her guests then the guests feel that their rapport means that they can talk in a friendly fashion to resolve any problems.

1 Like

The saga continues.

From the guest:

Hi PuppyLover,

Here are my responses to your comments.

1. No heat in the room: I didn’t know there was a space heater in the room because there is central heat and you yourself mentioned to me in the morning that the heat was turned off at night in the room, because according to you it was warm enough. By the way even with the space heater there isn’t enough heat in that room.

2. Toilet not working: You didn’t mention that the toilet wasn’t flushing until the next morning. You could have easily let me know before I arrived so I knew to expect it.

3. Cat and dog hair: You may not notice the cat and dog hair because you’re so used to having it around, which is understandable but don’t expect your guests to be as used to it as you are. The dog jumped on my bed while you and I were in the room as you may remember.

4. Stained pillow cases: Not the end of the world but defiantly something to note.

5. Pet odor: You may not sense this because they’re your pets and you love them and it makes sense that you don’t sense the smell anymore but as a guest coming from the outside the smell is strong.

In general, I wish the experience had been a more positive one for both of us. I would advise you to clean and organize the entire house, the clutter and dust in addition to the issues mentioned above didn’t exactly make me feel welcomed. In fact I’m surprised you have the ratings that you have on your listing. I couldn’t possibly be the first person to bring these issues up.

I feel robbed having paid $228 ($326 minus the $98 refund) I shouldn’t have to pay for more that the one night I spent at your place. As an Airbnb host myself if my guests aren’t happy with my place and decide to leave I simply refund them for the nights they din’t stay. It’s stressful and expensive enough already having to book another place last minute.

– The Guest

My reply:

Hi Guest,

1. There ARE three sources of heat in the room — central heating, the space heater, and the top-rated excellent duvet.

What I meant to say was — the heat is LOWERED in the entire house because there is a programmable thermostat that lowers the temp at night and mid-day. Because you came in at 2 a.m., which I allowed you to do despite my limit on check-ins to 10 p.m. at latest , and because I left the door and light on for you to find the room, the room got colder given the heat escaping out the door.

Had you come at 4 p.m., 6 p.m., 10 p.m. before I go to bed, the programmable thermostat would have been heating the room, and I could have left the door shut for you. It also kicks on at night obviously, but at 67 degrees. You were a stranger in a strange house, very late, so I wanted you to have a light and a slightly ajar door to find your suite.

Oil-filled space heaters take time to heat a space. They are not like ceramic space heaters. Once you give them time, they are very warm.

That room was HOT when I was working on it to prepare it for you.

Also, the suite has an alternative goose down comforter which is very very nice and warm, I remember a power failure we had in 20 degree weather, a couple years back. Warm as toast under that. This duvet has magnificent reviews on Amazon as to its comfort and snuggliness.

1. Toilet not working

Yes. I deliberately waited until morning given you would be arriving exhausted after a 5 hr or more flight. This was an attempt to take care of your feelings, I suppose.

Here is my text.

Heading to hardware store to get replacement for the broken toilet lever you can hand pull the chain in the meantime sorry I discovered this last night around 9 pm!

Tue 8:05AM

I noted to you that you could pull the chain to flush it, but instead you left me a bowl full of urine. Video here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FYQASXmQHk6FE2FK9

1. Cat and dog hair

I walked into your suite with my phone after you left to get it as you left it (including bowl of urine). I looked at the floors, the bathroom, the surfaces without finding dog or cat hair. The cats never go in there barring maybe a long-ago housemate who liked visits from one of them. The dog similarly follows me around so he might be in there only if I am cleaning. Here is a video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZmdTbrCmx7HkeUg6

This is why I asked you to return and point out to me what you were talking about. It was and is a sincere gesture. If I am missing dog and cat hair I obviously need to know this as a host. But I can’t see it, I can’t seem to video it. It seems like lint and one of my hairs was the problem on the blue chair throw, yes?? This could have been washed and problem solved.

The dog jumped on my bed while you and I were in the room as you may remember.

Yes he did! He is incorrigible. Did you see my review from Kate the vet (huge animal lover) saying this is a GREAT spot for animal lovers and maybe not for others? Anyway, I will train him not to jump on beds. He’s pretty smart.

Here is a video of the room, where I went looking for dog and cat hair. Couldn’t find any. Link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cZmdTbrCmx7HkeUg6

1. Stained pillow cases.

I DID find the stain in the morning light, after looking hard. I have sprayed this with the best Spot Removal product out there, and will Oxy-Clean it today. Thank you.

1. Pet odor

Do you smell dog? Do you smell cat? Do you smell it in the room? That’s why I wanted you to return. These details are essential. I have the best litter, Dr. Elsey’s, and the litterboxes (I crafted them) are designed to be odor-free. Used litter is kept outdoors. I have custom-made metal furnace air filters to clean the air. The cats are quite fastidious as are all cats in terms of what I believe is, no odor at all on themselves. I just sniffed the dog’s ruff and he has a super-healthy smell, not stinky to my nose. He eats the raw meaty bones diet, not commercial dog food, so his skin, coat and breath are all as good as a dog gets. He also is a born protector to keep guests safer than would any alarm system! (Ask the police dept.)

1. I would advise you to clean and organize the entire house, the clutter

The entire house is, I am afraid to say, none of your business. Unless you want to rent the entire house for $X a night. I do artisanal work constantly. I have a mini-hardware store on premises. I’ve been able to fix guest’s broken glasses because I have a variety of specialty adhesives on hand. I do small and varied repairs on my house and for neighbors. If you want a sterile experience with no over exuberant puppies, a guest with zero hobbies and interests, cookie-cutter decor, stencils that say “live love laugh” on the walls, &etc., you of course can find plenty of listings to suit this.

1. and dust

Specifically, where? I don’t see dust anywhere on the ground floor, stairs (I clean regularly) or in the room. I will triple-clean wherever you saw dust.

1. in addition to the issues mentioned above didn’t exactly make me feel welcomed.

Your name was on the whiteboard in the dining room — “Welcome Erick.” Had you stayed more than 9 hours you would have seen this.

1. In fact I’m surprised you have the ratings that you have on your listing. I couldn’t possibly be the first person to bring these issues up.

You are the first.

1. I feel robbed having paid $228 ($326 minus the $98 refund) I shouldn’t have to pay for more that the one night I spent at your place.

Please note that under AirBNB policy, you need to allow me to correct all your issues, which could be done in 10 minutes or less via washing a pillowcase and fixing the toilet lever. Or relocating you across the hall. I also have a second suite that is naturally warmer, right across the hall and available. I offered you this.

AirBNB policy requires you to FIRST allow the host to correct all the issues*. I cannot help you if you a) come in, in the middle of the night … b) don’t see the heater placed to the right of the desk, NOT obscured by any door after you shut the door c) are used to LA weather, not Midatlantic weather and d) complain you are cold.

Here are the two relevant policy links that note you need to work with your host:

What is Airbnb’s Guest Refund Policy for homes?

What should I do if something’s missing or not as expected when I check in?

Anyway, let’s keep this conversation going. Is there something you aren’t telling me? Did you dislike the House Rules and want to leave for a different reason? Did someone offer you a free place to stay, but not on your first night with a late arrival? Please advise.

Thank you, PuppyLover

I’m kind of regretting refunding the ones who complained about a cockroach and up and left in the middle of the night.

Dude … yes. Ouch.

P.S. Are you in Oz, not sure? Anyway in the States there is a product called Advion that is sensational to control roaches. If you don’t have it where you are … look up the ingredients and figure out who does sell it.

1 Like

Yes in oz. Cool thanks I’ll have look. In Sydney killing cockys is like trying to sweep up sand in the desert lol

1 Like

Really? :flushed:

I’m sorry but after reading everything the guest wrote and then your reaction to it, I kind of get why your guest left. Sorry, but someone has to tell you the truth. :v::v::v:

5 Likes

Very good lol
I hate these

2 Likes

I was getting the same feeling, but I would never stay in a place that has animals anyway. I’m sure PuppyLover sense of smell is oblivious to animal odors, like many folks with pets in the house. But those of us with allergies know that no matter how much cleaning, the odors, the dander, and the hair all can trigger horrible symptoms.

1 Like

And even without allergies, I imagine a lot of people not being amused with a dog jumping on their bed. What an awful first (or early) impression on arrival :roll_eyes:.

1 Like

@GutHend, my good friend (always honest),

Fair comment. I am going to revise my listings to make it clear as can be that pets are a big part of the house, as well as some clutter due to some big projects I have going on.

I will not mention odors just yet until I can get some independent corroboration.

YES. Do you know, I have had LOTS of guests who are that not-so-rare creature who loves cats and is also (paradoxically) allergic to them! Their suites have been so clean that they can do fine just with petting and talking to the cats in the dining room, without reactions in their (large) suites, where the beds are around 30 feet from the door/hall.

(In fact, when one guest from Japan said she risked anaphylactic shock from her cat allergy, I was the one who had to say for her safety, she needed to find a new place with due speed.)

@Flyboy, I have a returning guest this spring who also hates stencils, we had a long talk about it, and I am going to put some spoof stencils up in his suite. He will die laughing.

And back to @GutHend and @NordlingHouse, the only way I avoided despair when the pup jumped on the bed and the toilet lever broke late at night and the epoxy repair didn’t work (perfect storm of horribleness if you have a guest that doesn’t think it’s all a big laugh, which would be a LOT of my guests), it to chalk it up to, I am living an “I Love Lucy” sitcom.