Hosting people of size

Why not? You can still have the same goal and not subsidize the damage others cause you.

Thank you for that, the title of this thread is just wrong imo.

RR

3 Likes

Right? The things that people post here are really dismazing. Next we’ll have Hosting Really Gay People.

Isn’t there a difference between being gay (not a choice) and being obese (a consequence of choices)?

Not all obesity is a result of choice. There are medical conditions that can cause it.

5 Likes

@doughpat I’m gay and my story of how I’m sure it’s not a choice is long and boring so I’ll skip it. I’m going to confess to struggling too with how much of obesity is “choice” and how much is something else.

What I do know for sure is the same arguments about gays choosing to be gay were made not so long ago…like yesterday, by some. So I’m trying to not fall into that trap. I’m 100% sure it’s a discussion above my pay grade.

4 Likes

Sorry but super fat people is an acceptable term. Because that’s what they are they are extremely fat, super fat. Two people in that bed probably weighed close to 900 pounds I’m surprised the bed did not collapse. I’m really glad I had the handyman add extra support legs underneath the bed Just in case I got a super fat person. This is probably the fourth time I’ve had super large people,Each time I hold my breath and cross my fingers. There was change left on the floor and I realized it was because they were too heavy to pick it up.

1 Like

“super stupid” is an “acceptable term” too but I don’t use it on this forum describe people who post here.

10 Likes

I had a super big guest at one point and he bent all 4 legs of the bed frame.

Since then I have been buying up super sturdy frames from Wal Mart that are said to hold 1200 lbs. Plus, they are set high enough off the ground to store things under, too.

It must be overwhelming for a new host these days to take on all this information AND provide for all kinds of shapes and sizes. But my big guy prepared me for the possibility. And it’s an excellent frame,

2 Likes

I don’t assume that my hosts are professionals. Actually I know for sure they are not professionals despite the fact I am paying them . I expect to find someone else’s home when I rent a house or room or appartment.
That’s why I am not very picky and I don’t really pay attention to little things that annoy so many people. If something broken I am ok with it …I don’t even notice …what do I care it’s someone’s house. I spend here a week and leave. In my own house I like things to be in working order but that’s me. .
I am not sure why would anyone expects homeowners to be professionals in hospitality business. We do our best , our best is different for everyone . Definitely some cleanliness standards and basic amenities suitable for humans …but professionaly run house ?

With that said I hosted for 19 months severly obese couple. They only somewhat broke their bed but it was easily fixed. There were some challenges like all.day laundry for 7 hours every week and some hygiene issues which I do attribute to their size but other than that my regular furniture didn’t sustain any damages

3 Likes

Obesity we are talking about I only saw in US.
In Europe there are also heavy people, overweight people but not to this extreme. Lifestyle and especially food are the reasons. Yes illnesses of course contribute but the main reason is abandance of bad cheap food

4 Likes

Neither, just “big” sits easier with me.

Anyway, to lighten the tone of the thread and at the same time drag it back to the gutter.

We had what my OH described as “a big lady” stay over New Year. She was about five eleven or thereabouts and simply big all over. She worked off shore in the Indian Ocean and was meeting up with her boyfriend who worked off shore in the North Sea. They only got to see each other every four or five months due to work schedules.

So, for four days and five nights, let’s just say they didn’t go out much :wink:

The apartment had two single beds. After they left, the apartment had only one usable single bed!

Could we have put a claim in or charged her for damages, definitely. Did we, no.

What we did was learn a lesson in respect of durability of furnishings and making a better choice in relation to cost versus quality. We sucked it up, replaced both beds with more solid units and gave her a good review, hoping that she didn’t ding us on comfort. She didn’t BTW.

JF

3 Likes

Yes 99% of the cases of obesity is due to a condition called “overactive fork”

2 Likes

I couldnt agree more! When I lived in China I never saw a morbidly obese person. I see them in every aisle of Walmart in America. Its a combo of crappy junk foods here and everyone drives to the store.In other parts of the world peeps do a lot of walking. I also blame video games and the fixation with TV.

2 Likes

Thank goodness I have 37 steps up to my AirBnB floor! That pretty much eliminates persons of great size.

5 Likes

I don’t think there are greedy people, just people who feel hungrier than others. They could eat less, but I think that would be a massive miserable battle for them, 24/7.
On a caveman level, it makes sense for a small percentage of people to be hungrier - they would be the ones that survive, and keep the tribe going, when a crop fails and many others in their village starve.
Someone mentioned the Chinese (and I imagine some members reached for their pitchforks), and it reminded me of a documentary, where they tried to fatten up skinny people, with extra carb laden meals. There was an Asian man, and I think he actually contracted in size, despite eating a third more calories per day. He seemed to be turning it all into muscle, as if ‘fat’ wasn’t an option.
I’d say not their fault, maybe their responsibility, but a way bigger battle to stay slim than it is for anyone else.
Sometimes I get a craving for specific things, I imagine for hungrier people, they get that craving ALL the time. It’s a shame that their craving is often for calories!
Different people, different bodies, different metabolism

4 Likes

Although some of the posts here are less than politically correct, the discussion is a valuable reminder that furniture has a weight limit. My master bed frame says it has a limit of 600 pounds. This made me realize I may want to see if I can get one that is sturdier.

4 Likes

That’s the problem if you’re very overweight my property is ideal because there are no stairs to climb and you can park 2 feet from the room

1 Like

that would be great for a lazy ol’ toss like me, too

4 Likes

It’s also a reminder that Airbnb hosts are just people. Just like the general population some are kinder than others. Some are invested in being able to say what they want and they don’t care how ugly or hurtful the language is. It’s a great reminder that this isn’t a host support group and some hosts are more deserving of sympathy than others. I personally love seeing how people really are. I don’t know that it’s a good look for the 100s of people who lurk and read or for Airbnb hosts reputations in general though.

3 Likes