Hosting my first host, red flags

So I got a request to book today while driving, I took a quick look at it and it was prefaced with a note from airbnb something about why i was getting a request when I have instant book, it said from time to time Air want us to have the opportunity… blah blah I was driving I hit accept.
Once home I see a message from the guest, not sure if it was pre or post booking telling me she has the greatest dog ever can she bring him… I have a no pet policy.
I messaged back no I am sorry no pets allowed at this property I look forward to hosting you tomorrow …
Meanwhile I am checking her profile and see she is a host, 6 reviews as host one as a guest and she did not review her host. Next red flag she responded ok doggie is not coming can she check in early…
So hopefully all goes smooth, so far it always has but I am a bit worried she may try to sneak in the dog.
RR

2 Likes

Stiff upper lip. Don’t panic until she shows up with the dog. Then tell her she can’t stay. Might not urn out that way. Guest may just be a ditz trying to ‘work the system’. Don’t let yourself get intimidated by guests, even if they’re Superhosts.

IF she tries to sneak the dog in, message her through the system and tell her you already informed her “no dog”. Then call Airbnb and get them to re-home her as she has violated your house rules.

Strongly suggest you turn OFF Instant Book. You now see what kind problems it can bring you. Strongly suggest you not allow early or late check-ins/outs until you get a few bookings under your belt and are more comfortable in you new position as host.

3 Likes

I have no issue with IB, I have already cancelled one that was uncommunicative and I never allow late check outs, and only offer early check in once I have made the place ready. I live a block away and have outside cameras. I may meet her at the door to collect the tax and give her the key. That way if she has a dog she will have not checked in yet and no review will happen if she is not let in.

PS, early on I tried turning off IB and was punished in the rankings, came up dead last in my area. No thanks

RR

2 Likes

It sounds like you’ve got your situation covered for your red-flag guest. The only thing you need to plan for is how to handle it if she does show up with her dog.

Let us know how it went down and whether she was trustworthy.

1 Like

So far so good, this morning I messaged her told her I would be working at the cabin and meet her there to hand off keys so she would know better than to bring the dog! Then this afternoon I texted her I could not be there here is the combo… She did not bring the dog I saw them on the security cameras. I do not think there will be an issue.

RR

Terr-rific!
All’s well that ends well.

1 Like

Ok so she checked out, left dishes in the sink but she did not drink the beers I left in fridge so I guess its a wash!

RR

2 Likes