Hosting Guests with Pets / Pet Deposits?

Are there any hosts here who have had experiences hosting travelers with their pets? If so, do you also charge an security deposit/fee for these travelers, and how do you do so (Airbnb Resolution Center, PayPal, cash, Venmo, etc.)?

I’m working on a student design project focusing on Airbnb hosts and would love your help by filling out this quick survey (forms (dot) gle (slash) Zk7xgS7FeGWuPpmo7), but happy to hear about experiences as well!

Hello @thomastli

If you are asking how hosts pay for additional pet fees, it seems you have misunderstood the whole Airbnb concept.

Hosts can only raise these fees, and in fact any additional costs, through Airbnb Resolution Centre.

If you want to find out more about host experiences with pets, you can use the search function, as this topic has been discussed on here a fair few times.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’ve read a few threads in the past regarding pets, pet deposits, and the like on this forum; I saw some records of people using PayPal in the past (despite the fact that this is likely not what Airbnb would want) to collect pet fees. Specifically, the project I’m working on is thinking about whether these things can be incorporated onto the Airbnb platform itself (more similar to the cleaning fee) rather than done through the Resolution Center. Does this make sense/would this appeal to you?

No Air wouldn’t want hosts to collect fees outside of the platform. Makes sense doesn’t it?

Pets are a major problem to to hosts, particularly if you have a nice place, good furniture and carpeting. A single pet can cost you thousands of dollars in damages and believe me, you won’t collect anything through Air BnB except frustration. Even when you don’t allow pets we’ve found guests sneaking them in.

Our advice is no pets. I don’t even want service animals because of the hair. Many guests have allergies and we want our place clean, without oders, and welcoming.

3 Likes

I took your survey. I’d be interested to see if anything comes of it, especially since it says you are doing this with Airbnb. All my listings are Pet Friendly. I also have accommodations for horses at the one where I also live, but usually get dogs and cats. I did get one fish though and I let him stay for free because my guest did the right thing and disclosed him and was willing to pay the pet fees for him (at the time it was $15/night and I think she stayed 5 nights).

No pets! Its always a problem.

2 Likes

I allow pets. It’s not been a problem. I charge $25 per pet per visit using Pay Pal because everytime I tried to use the Resolution Center it didn’t work properly. I would like to be able to include the fee, as I do using the other popular platform that begins with “V”. With that platform, I can even add the charge later, if necessary.

1 Like

I just spoke to Airbnb Customer Service Guy last week and one of the issues was my $35.00 on time fee for each Pet I approve. He said it is fine to charge it. He said when they make their Request and I approve to add it. And if I have problems to call Airbnb and they would help me…He also said I can charge that amount for a Service Dog also. I just remembered he told me to comment in my Ad that it is for the extra carpet and other cleaning for animal hair, etc. ( so I am going to go now and include why I am charging it, LOL)

1 Like

You can @momovich - just create a special offer.

I will try, again. I have created Special Offers, however when the guest tries to pay, they are unable to do so. They get frustrated so quickly that it has been easier to just send them a quick email. Thanks.

I have received an email indicating my feedback was “particularly helpful and interesting” and asked for a follow up phone call…that’s a first!

Hello momovich, I am considering adding pets, could you post your Airbandb link so I can read your page? tks
Lesia

I’ve been hosted for several years with Airbnb and manage/co-host a few other listings. Personally, I haven’t encountered an issue with people bringing dogs and damages left behind. It really all depends where you’re located and how your space is set up. My rental is tile/hardwood flooring, so clean up isn’t a problem. We do make it clear in the initial reservation and check-in that dogs are not allowed on furniture or beds. Again, highly depends on your place, most of our guests are traveling internationally, so a small percentage bring their dogs.

1 Like

I totally agree with you, CREITER about guests with pets. I had an enquiry from a guest who wanted to know if l accepted animals in my place.It is clearly stated on my listing that NO PETS. When l declined her enquiry, she wrote again to know even if the animal was doctor certified as service animal. I still told her no, even if that the case.To make matters worse,her service animal was a cat and quickly told her that l was allergic to cats and wished her the best looking for a place suitable to her needs.she thanked me for a nice response and case was closed.Sometimes we have to be patient and tactful with these guests because many at times they don’t even to read through the listing when they see beautiful photos displayed on your listing.Good luck everyone !

1 Like

Just a quick update, @Helsi I have recently started charging the pet fee through the Resolution Center and it has worked fine. I don’t know what I was doing incorrectly, before, but I sure am happy to be able to work within the system, now! Thanks for the encouragement to do so.

3 Likes

Just yesterday I sent the direct link via the message thread (as suggested by @Militaryhorsegal is I remember correctly) for the first time. After I created the request I cut and pasted the url like this: https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions/xxxxxxxx. The guest didn’t comment on whether she used the link I sent or the button in the email.

Also as a update re pets. I had my first real pet damages last month. A military repeat guest with a young german shepherd asked for a 22 day booking. Normally I’d have declined but this was a chance to make significantly more money for the period since it included 9 days I’d be away on vacation (and not getting any revenue).

The dog pushed into the bypass doors of the closet and chewed on a brand new blanket in the package, my brand new toilet plunger still in cardboard sleeve, the edge of the toilet seat and the wooden bedside night stand, mostly the drawer knob. There was a significant amount of dog hair and I ended up washing the drapes and wiping down the walls, doors, woodwork top to bottom. There are also some faint scratches on the paint surface of the bathroom door.

The problem of course was a young dog left alone for hours each day. My typical overnight guest doesn’t do this.

As for the damages, the guest ended up checking out 6 nights early and leaving full remaining payment in cash. I had a spare toilet seat, I switched out nightstands and will repair the damaged one and use in my part of the house, I fixed the closet myself and the blanket only had a small thread pull and needed to be laundered. Even charging something for my time he left more than enough to cover it.

I haven’t even messaged him about the damages but I did tell him if I rebooked any of his days I’d give a partial refund. I also would host him again with his dog under certain conditions including a higher daily rate.

1 Like

Here is a link to my page: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20093876 There isn’t much about pets on the page. I took the advice from this forum to put in the opening paragraph about the pet fee, which I have recently had success charging through the Resolution Center. I used to charge it externally. I also have a Pet Addendum that I ask guests to sign before they come. It covers things like pre-treating pets with flea treatment, etc. I have had four dogs stay at a time with no problems. I don’t have carpet, though. I suppose there is always a chance that there will be problems, but I am so happy to help people out. I know it is hard to travel with pets and there are so few places that offer this option.

3 Likes

I am so pleased to hear it worked for you @momovich . We often provide advice on this forum, so it’s great to hear when a host benefits from that advice.

Do stick around I am sure there will be posts where you can use your experience to provide input.

2 Likes

I just use https://www.airbnb.com/resolutions because they will only see THEIR Resolution Center page regardless. Until you posted this I didn’t realize there even was any extension.

2 Likes