I have been renting out a small cottage near the beach from my home 900 miles away for a long time. I never meet my guests but I do communicate by email, text and phone. I let them decide how they want to do it.
• Put up a security camera in a visible spot outside your front door and mention it on your listings. It discourages dishonest people and most of my guests pretty much ignore it. I have mine set to take a few snapshots when motion triggered and sends them to an e-mail address I use just for this. I don’t bother with video or cloud storage.
• I have a local person I call a ‘guest manager’ who basically watches over the place, takes the first phone call for problems, takes care of minor issues himself and calls me if something bigger comes up.
• I have a professional cleaning company. They have to be extremely reliable and they have to be able to do same day turnovers without fail, sometimes on short notice. I let them know that if someone leaves a huge mess and they need to do extra work they should document it and they can and should bill me for it.
• I have a list of contractors that I use. Handyman, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, landscaping, pest control, etc.
• I furnish and outfit my place with middle level stuff. Nothing rare, extremely valuable or of high personal value. Stuff gets damaged, goes missing, wears out, etc.
• Definitely be available if a guest needs to contact you, especially around check in time!