Host would like to give a refund stating they had a duplicate ad?

You keep saying you want the booking, but I’m not sure how you think that will happen, as the host has made it clear that they already had another booking. Don’t you think the other guests also want the booking? One or the other of you needs to be cancelled.

And yes, the host could cancel last minute. They have nothing to lose by doing that, and a host might think it a good strategy- if one of you should cancel last minute, they still have a booking.

Nothing wrong with making the host or Airbnb do the cancelling, you’d likely lose the service fee at this point if you cancelled from your end, but that you think the host is going to somehow be forced to cancel the other guests instead of you seems illogical.

5 Likes

Airbnb just changed their policy for hosts that get a double booking. You should contact Airbnb and let them deal with it. DO NOT CANCEL.

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/changing-our-policy-on-avoidable-host-cancellations-537?src_section=326196&c=.pi80.pkb21uaS8xLzU1NzAw&euid=77dcb025-04bb-f0ea-a0df-aa1a753610b4

You don’t want the booking. That’s been mentioned twice. You’re trying to “die on a hill” with a host who probably got a booking either before you booked within minutes, a glitch that opened booked days, a booking on another platform and you booked before calendars synch…

If I were you, I’d look for another place. You already think the host is lying to you and you dislike this process as well as not being that experienced with ABB.

3 Likes

Good luck with that. Seriously, many of us as hosts are still wondering what happens with ABB when we have issues.

1. They got a better offer within a short amount of time and want you to cancel
  2. They use multiple booking platforms (that’s all ABB is, so ABB doesn’t know if hosts use VRBO or Booking.com and it’s none of their business) and someone booked via VRBO and the calendar didn’t synch - therefore “two ads.”
  3. Someone booked on ABB and the ABB calendar glitched. Happens all the time.

Move on, get the host to cancel so you get all your money back and find someplace else.

3 Likes

You just might be a prime example of a guest that nobody really wants.
You are “digging in” and iintend to stay because YOU WANT THIS BOOKING. It is even possible that you wrote something that sent red flag messages to this host / owner and they wanted out of your booking, and tactfully told you it was a double book.
You seen totally determined to not share any pertinent info…like the reviews.
You are all trusting in the control of AirBnb…but they are very much not infallible…they dont know evreything…but hey lucky you…they do tend to make decisions in favor of the guest and not hosts.
Good for you for making sure they lay a penalty on those people eveb though they informed you within 48 hours…that’s the way to prove yourself …either make them take you or make sure they are punished! Did you know that a guest is granted 48 hours to cancel on a whim and no matter what? Too bad that hosts are not extended the same consideration and courtesy.
Do you want AirBnb to FORCE someone to accept your booking under duress? Yuck.
Drama ! Yes do let us know how this drama ends. Thanks for sharing your side of this and your viewpoint.

10 Likes

@Thunderlake, I don’t know anything about you, but I think you’re getting a lot of criticism. If I were a guest, I would also be upset if a host canceled my confirmed reservation. I don’t blame you for wanting the reservation to stand, since the location suits you so well.

All I can say is that I hope everything works out well for you.

4 Likes

That policy doesn’t take effect until late Aug.

I rather agree with the advice not to be wedded to this particular property.

I would try to push it back onto Airbnb. “The host is saying the place accidentally got double-booked. Please help us find an equivalent booking in the area to switch to immediately so we don’t get cancelled by the host at the last minute and have no place to stay. We are now regretting using the Airbnb platform instead of a hotel or managed resort booking, if this sort of thing happens, leaving us with uncertainty due to lack of a quick resolution.”

4 Likes

The host canceled “after 2 days”.
Everything running this year has had cancelations.
Car rentals are not there as reserved. Ubers dont show up. Cruises dont go to the ports on the itinerary. Hotels get oversold and walk the guests. Riverboats cant go forward due to low water. And we all know that planes are not taking off and canceling lots of flights too.
I keep reading the demands of this OP, and I cringe at the rigidity of a traveler determined to hang onto, and force, a booking that a host needed to cancel within 48 hours of the original reservation. And I am equally surprised at hosts that think it is horrible behavior of the host. It’s 48 hours!!! Not weeks later…and the stay is probably not this week either!
We hosts should all be given some leeway and cancelation time courtesy by AirBnb when a booking is x amount of days away. Without penalty. Stuff happens. Guests can cancel within x days of booking…why can’t we?
Additionally, on this particular reservation, this host happens to allow a guest to cancel up to the day of arrival for a full refund. So host can get stuck anytime and have to give a refund.
Where is the equity, compassion, and human consideration in this scenario? None from the traveler, and I dont see any from AirBnb yet either.
One can only hope.

8 Likes

it seems like that because it IS like that.
perhaps see this as God working in mysterious ways, and taking you out of the path of some future disaster. Make them do the cancellation, get your refund, and find a new place for your vacation.

4 Likes

What I can’t quite understand is why the OP says they have scoured the listings and there’s nothing else that fits. He said they only really need a place to sleep, they are going to be hanging with their friends in their new house otherwise. Where he has booked, in Bucerias, Mexico, is a small town- it’s not like it takes more than 5 minutes or so to drive from one side of town to the other. And there are several small hotels there that don’t even list on Airbnb, I would bet. Shouldn’t be that hard to find a room.

2 Likes

God is not in my radar and never will be but thanks for that!

1 Like

We have requested new dates for our trip.

Our new dates (two sets, 10 days each) were denied and the entire house listing has been removed from airbnb by the host.

Strange. You never answered the question as to whether this was a new host or not. Maybe they just listed before they had any idea of what they were doing.
You know the listing was removed by the host? Did the host tell you that? If not, it could have been suspended by Airbnb.

If you were actually looking for a nice vacation rental in the area, rather than just a place to sleep, planning to spend your days with your friends at their place, I would send you the link to my friend’s casitas in La Cruz, which you may know is only a 10 minute bus ride to Bucerias. Her casitas are so nice, and right on the water, and there is also a pool. But they are probably pricier than what you were looking for, if you just want a place to lay your head and shower.

I am not sure if she is a new host but probably a new, only one review. I don’t know who removed the listing as she didnt say. She offered a 7 day stay which did not suit so we declined. We don’t want just a bed and shower, we want a nice place, but will spend time at my friends house, which they purchased in Bucerias. I would love to see the place in La Cruz. Thank you!

Check your Private Message box here- I sent you the link.

God, fate, the universe… whatever works in your head.

1 Like

Thank you Muddy I will check out the site!!

No problem.

I just want to point out that you seem to make a lot of assumptions and jump to conclusions which have no basis in fact. You seemed to assume that this host telling you she somehow managed to double book was a lie and she just took a better offer, then you said the host took down her listing, but when I asked how you knew she did it, rather than Airbnb, you now say you don’t know, as she didn’t tell you that.

By insisting that you wanted to keep the booking, and contacting Airbnb about it, instead of graciously accepting that the host may have made an honest mistake or experienced a calendar sync technical issue, you may have gotten this new host’s listing suspended, which isn’t very nice.

If this was some last minute cancellation a few days before check-in, I could understand why you would be quite upset about it, and contact Airbnb, but it sounds like the booking is for a ways in the future, and she contacted you about it within 48 hours. Please try to give other hosts the benefit of the doubt in the future, if you have no proof that they are trying to scam you. There are all sorts of tech glitches, and big learning curves for new hosts, so try to be kind rather than obstinate.

Hosts and guests need to cut each other a bit of slack for Airbnb to work well.

4 Likes