Host startup cost for private room/bath rental?

Do you find your guests understand the flat sheet? I regularly find guests sleep on top of it.

All of our American guests sleep under the top sheet. All of our European guests sleep on top of it.

I find the trick is to fold the top of the sheet over the duvet cover, then everybody sleeps under it as it turns over automatically when they get in

To be honest the only trend I’ve noticed is that all my guests don’t know what to do with it. But again I must point out; I’m European and I know that you sleep under a flat sheet. ( I say again because you made a similar comment about Europeans and tumble driers).

To be honest I think Europeans have forgotten how to use them because we wash our duvet covers. It’s rare to see a flat sheet on European beds.

I like a flat sheet personally but 99% of my guests don’t get them.

1 Like

I do that @Gardenhost. I put a very deep fold over the duvet cover. The next morning I find the flat sheet has been tucked under the pillows and slept on or pushed to one side.

@faheem, i don’t know if you have H&M Home in India but their linen sheets are nice and affordable (at least by European standards). Linen sheets are great to sleep in in the summer as they feel light and cool so i guest they would feel great in India !
I would say that one should be able to tell they are made of linen with a quick glance. New linen fabric has a very slight sheen, and the thread looks thicker , you can definitely see the different threads from a distance which is not possible with cotton.

On the original topic, while I usually think that you should buy the best for your rental, I use white cotton percale IKEA sheets in my rental , they hold up very well and I have 97% 5-star reviews. Honestly besides a certain type of women and interior designers, I think 99% of people just don’t care. My BF can’t tell the difference between one of the IKEA sheets and one our pricey “all made in France” sheets.

3 Likes

Thanks for the H&M tip. We have one close by and the linen sheets look really nice.

How odd! We get lots of Europeans too and they seem to be able to figure it out. Mostly they’ve been travelling/backpacking a while though so maybe they’ve just learnt what to do by the time they get to us

We are getting dangerously close to reviving the Great Duvet Debate. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lol … it always seems to creep back in to these debates

2 Likes

I have lots of people sleep on top of the flat sheet. Even the Americans. Every time I go to clean the room and see the flat sheet perfectly tucked as I had done it, my mind is just blown away at the number of people who sleep on top of it lol

Lol my apologies, mental note to self: do not take migraine sedative and post on intent forum! Wrong thread indeed

1 Like

Really? What type of women would those be? I think a really unnecessary comment. I think most people, men, women or child can tell a good quality sheet from a cheap, but if a bed and home is welcoming, clean and cosy that’s the most important thing but we really don’t need what appears to be sexist and derogatory comments about women to add to the healthy debate. I say that as you seem to be suggestimg ‘difficult’ or ‘fussy’ women and I can assure you my ex who owned an airline was a LOT more difficult and fussy than I about champagne and sheets. Just because I am willing to happily sleep on IKEA sheets and drink sparkling wine when the budget doesn’t allow for Verve Vintage doesn’t mean I don’t know what a top quality Egyptian sheet is when it hits me in the face after a long day, and it’s not because I am a woman!

2 Likes

Are you suggesting that he’s also having a dig at interior designers?

Because if so, he’s having a go at himself. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

OMG, did you really just yell “insult”? :scream:
Exaggerated political correctness will totally kill the healthy debate you are asking for.

People, can someone post that funny video in here about being offended?

1 Like

@Emily “yelled” insult because the post she was referencing was in fact sexist. We should be supporting those who call out bigotry instead of ridiculing them.

Barthelemy wrote a wonderful post with lots of good information in it for other hosts. In this post he accidentally used the word “women” instead of “people”, not because he intended to hurt anyone’s feelings, just because one can’t be thinking about being hypocritical political correct the whole time.

Emily accuses him of sexism and derogatory comments. And she ads some suppositions to that.
You then also accuse him of sexism and bigotry. And you call me on ridiculing people.

I wonder which post / reaction was the lesser one? I don’t think that any reaction has helped the cause you are fighting for.
But ok, live and let live, I guess you are both just “that kind of… p-e-o-p-l-e”.

You can certainly get a bed for your guest room set up super cheap. I opted to get something reasonably priced and it’s held up for me for years and still looks pristine.

Here’s what I have in my listing

If you are in it for the long haul and can afford something of good quality it’s a good investment and saves you a bunch of headache later on.

Very mature response. And, no, the use of ‘women’ was not a mistake. And I am proud to be one of ‘those people’ who stand up to discrimination and sexism. People who don’t and know better are even worse than people who do it through ignorance in the first place.

1 Like

There was no sexism or discrimination in his post, just in your mind.
Ask @Barthelemy if his post had sexist intentions instead of just condemning him.

BTW I also stand up against sexism and discrimination. As I stand up against political correctness and easily offended-ness.

1 Like