Host Safety and Guests who are not who they say they are?

Any other hosts had an issue with a guest not being who they claim they are? or not doing the job they said they did?
I had a lady stay with me for 6 weeks. She was Chinese and went by her European name. She claimed to work at The University. Her story seemed very odd as over time we realised she barely left her room. and didn’t seem to go to work.
After she left I started to get Bank Statements in another name. When I contacted Airbnb I was told that due to “data protection” I cannot know the name of my guest!!! The lady who lived in my house and shared my home is unknown to me.
I then called the University. This woman does NOT work at the University.
I have had a stranger staying in my home. Who was this person?
I have tried calling emailing and Facebooking Airbnb. Nothing. I don’t even get a call back.
As a UK based lawyer my view is that "data protection " does not allow Airbnb to withhold the name of my guest from me. I have checked with other legal colleagues. Nonsense is the general opininon.
Also Airbnb have a duty of care to me as a host.
I have had no option but to withdraw from Airbnb and contact the police. But would like to make other hosts aware that if you have an issues with a guest like this. Airbnb are less than useless.
I have advised friends that if they have guests staying they should ask to see their passports. You have every right to know who is staying in YOUR home.
The moral of this tale is beware! I
I

1 Like

The first moral of the story is, lawyer or not, DO NOT RENT LONG TERM!

4 Likes

If a guest stays for 24 hrs or 24 days the host should be able to be secure in the knowledge that Airbnb will allow them to know the guests name.

4 Likes

I have stated in my house rules a valid ID or Passport is required upon check-in. I have never been asking for this, but I want to have the privilige to do so if I am suspicious or what ever.

4 Likes

A very wise decision and policy. Would urge all hosts to do as you do. Ask to see valid photo ID.I relied on Airbnb which is a mistake.

1 Like

Hi there,

I would never host over 14 days as guests stay in my home, the roots start growing any longer than 14 days.

Don’t allow guests to use your home address for mail, put it in your house rules.

People lie about the reasons they want to stay with us. I had a guest say visiting friends, she was in trouble and I had to bring her to a refuge, some lie for a reason and others because they don;t really want to tell you their business.

In your setting request that all guests have government and not just the one below. You can ask for ID when the guest arrives.

ID Guest requirements
Edit
Airbnb standard requirements
Profile photo, confirmed email and phone number, payment information, agreement to House Rules ( you have the power to set any rule you feel comfortable with )

I have had Chinese people stay who used their chinese name and did not need to make an European one.

1 Like

Sorry to revive this but I couldnt find a way to make a new post:

In our small village of Nesso on Lake Como, there is an Airbnb called Casa Anitathat is co-hosted by someone with a history of violence and an arrest record that features convictions of assault, assault with a weapon and drunken/disorderly conduct. They host guests in their house all year without the guests being made away of such problems, and we in the community are concerned for the safety of these unknowing guests. Along with a lengthy arrest record of the partner of Anita, in the last two years alone the hosts have threatened to “cut our throats” if we threatened their airbnb business, engaged in drunken shouting matches outside of the bar near their house where they are banned, sicc’d their pitbull dog (which they still keep at the house among their airbnb guests) on a woman who went to the hospital for her injuries. The scariest part is that while they market their flat as an entire apartment available to rent, they actually stay in the attic of the apartment (which they access through a different entrance) while guests are staying in their home. Many of us have tried to alert Airbnb to this potentially frightening case, but they either don’t respond or say we cannot open a case since we were not guests there. For the safety of future guests, we would be extremely grateful for any advice you can offer. It also is a problem that could potentially affect other Airbnb hosts like myself if there is an incident. Thanks in advance.

Have you tried calling Airbnb’s “neighbor hotline”? Tell them this is a serious issue they need to pass on to the Trust and Safety team.

1 Like

Ah that sounds like what I need. Didn’t know it existed. Thanks so much for the tip, will try it out

1 Like