Host from Norway?

I’m Norwegian too but host in London.
It’s expensive: eating out and alcohol will hurt your budget. So, make sure to use your airport tax free quota for alcohol, and maybe stay somewhere where you have kitchen access so you won’t eat out all the time. Focus on the scenery and outdoorsy activities rather than shopping, wining and dinging, and you’ll have a great time!

1 Like

Great advice - thanks very much!

Come to Tromso, Northern Norway, instead! :wink:
Nothern Lights, Midningt Sun to mention a few.

Super beautiful place!!! Very nice job. Unfortunately, there are 5 of us. One to many…

But thanks for sharing! I appreciate the response.

I’m wondering if we can get up to the north. At this point I think we are planning on about 7 days actual travel in-country time. We’ll arrive in time to check-in in Oslo, Viking museum perhaps the next day, and just a look around and recover from jet-lag, then head out early the next morning. Want to stay at least 3 nights in one spot.

So much beauty to choose from!!

I am from Norway but i am living in Charleston, Sc. Before i moved to America i was a tour
leader for groups in Scandinavia. ( i speak Swedish and Danish too and lived in both those countries) If you need any information please contact me. www.airbnb.com/rooms/11689 or wenchejfox@gmail.com

What a cute place! Alas, there are 5 of us! Thanks, though - I would love to make it that far north.

I sent you an email. THANKS!

I got a book from lonely planet on Norway, but it is so burdened with superlatives that it’s becoming mind-numbing boring. Every fjord is magnificent and can’t be missed and ever city the something-est ever.

“Giggles” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Get a book written by a crusty Dane and all those adjectives will melt away. :wink:

But more seriously, get the Michelin Travel Guidebook anytime you are visiting a European country. Yes it is conservative, but their star system is brilliant and they have already calculated the routes and sight-seeing lists for circular touring so you don’t have to. Then do internet research to make sure each of the kids gets a special outing with their interests in mind. Or, plan the itinerary and have THEM pick a location that will include something that they have chosen. Much less sulking when kids help with planning.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!! I will definitely go with Michelin.

The kids are very excited about the fjords, about @Liv’s place, and a few others - and one has requested viking ruins. I think the viking ship museum in Oslo will suffice for that. I have to see some Stave churches. Which I didn’t even know about until a week ago! We just need to find some ways to save money when possible. I was hoping there was an outfit that would rent out camping equipment. We may try some hostels when we have some one-night stays.

Thanks for those tips, too, @eyeborg. Fortunately shopping, wining, and dining have never been our focus. We’d much prefer to have a cozy spot around a kitchen table and share a simple meal than deal with the headache that eating-out often entails when traveling. And we shop only when absolutely forced to. The wining, actually, I do enjoy so we’ll take advantage to that tip to purchase it duty free!

What does one buy in Norway, though? What is a special purchase we should look for? I’m terrible at purchasing souvenirs because I always wonder if we are paying a fair price. I once saw a hand-made silk rug in China - shipped to my home would have cost, like, $1,200. It was absolutely stunning. I’ll always regret passing that one up… And I did purchase a cloisonné vase outside of Beijing but it is so puny it’s embarrassing!!

For anyone wanting to chime in, I’m looking at this as a possible itinerary

5-Jun travel
6-Jun Oslo
7-Jun Oslo
8-Jun Train to Bergen
9-Jun Wander Bergen
10-Jun Drive Jotunheimen
11-Jun Jotunheimen
12-Jun Drive Stranda (we have a particular listing picked out)
13-Jun Geirangerfjord day trip
14-Jun Rest/drive Tornes (because of a particular listing)
15-Jun Tornes rest & day trips
16-Jun Tornes rest & day trips
17-Jun Drive to Trondhem
18-Jun Trondheim / fly home
19-Jun arrive home

1 Like

Aw, I don’t get that joke! Explain? We had a Dane with us for 2 months last year. He wasn’t crusty. But he was hardly verbose…

All those Scandinavian countries think that THEIR country is the best. They are not prone to over-exuberance and you won’t find the words awesome, magnificent, etc. except when it truly is! Clearly, this wasn’t funny if it needed to be explained. Go with the Michelin, and don’t set your routes until you have it in front of you.

1 Like

When in Bergen it’s also nice to get the train to Flåm, it’s a very unusual little train ride down the mountain to the bottom of the fjord. It would be a day trip.
Flåmsbana train

2 Likes

No, it was funny - I just need to be brought up to speed!!