Host canceled for marathon weekend.... now what?!?!?!

MisterBnB, Wimdu or just through Paypal if both want to take that risk.

The person who canceled us was brand new, back when I booked it in early January.

I donā€™t know if Airā€™s policy has changed, but a couple of years ago when a host cancelled on us at about 2 weeksā€™ notice they gave us quite a generous voucher towards booking somewhere else - I think it was about ā‚¬220 for 2 weeks. Itā€™s difficult when itā€™s a big event, though ā€¦

It turned out that the new place we booked was MUCH nicer than the original one, so I do hope that happens for you too!

1 Like

Perhaps, I think we all were at one time. Iā€™m sorry this happened to you. As a host I try to treat others as I want to be treated and I canā€™t imagine cancelling except for the most dire emergency. Iā€™ve set up a friend as a co-host for emergencies and when I travel. I donā€™t know if it makes you feel any better but Airbnb does penalize hosts for canceling in many cases. If they just canceled so their friend can stay there or to get a better booking via another platform then a pox on their house.

But as georgygirl said, itā€™s not a hotel with multiple rooms and this can happen. Keep checking every day maybe someone will put a new listing up. Is camping an option? Sleeping in a vehicle at an RV park?

Did the host actually explain you anything about the cancelation? Or did they just hit the cancel button?

My rule of thumb, if youā€™re going to book a brand new cheap host, ensure the booking is very close to the date (especially when there are big events in the area) before the new host has a chance to wise up :slight_smile:

Hey, itā€™s part of the thrill, if youā€™re looking for unbelievable deals, thatā€™s the risk that comes with the thrill and potential pay off.

I would see guests coming into my listing in the early days and literally pinching themselves in excitement that they had just got such an amazing deal, they couldnā€™t believe it!

But if you want reliability then look for hosts with a good review trail, and for absolute reliability on the cancellation end, then super hosts!

1 Like

Air said that person is no longer hosting with them.

1 Like

looks like they just hit the cancel button!

Uh-oh. Sounds serious. Good luck finding another accommodation.

I personally donā€™t mind sleeping in a car, LOL,

But my momā€¦in late stages of an uncurable brain tumor is still saying she wants to come (thatā€™s kinda up in the air, but for now including her on the headcount) ā€¦ anyways, that would be a NO because of her. ā€¦Iā€™m going to visit her next week, surprise bday party. (she isnā€™t on here.)

This is mid - April, but huge event.

Iā€™m sorry to hear about your mom.

1 Like

(I was wondering where you were going with all that.)
I get itā€¦good read!

1 Like

Can I assume you are going to Boston?

1 Like

I dont think any credit card coverage, nor possibly travel insurance, would cover a situation like this.

Orā€¦ They were illegal and got caught and were cancelled.

My early February guests arrived over the moon happy because I actually let them in the door and wasnā€™t cancelling! They had booked their holiday in August and three Airbnbs. The one on Oahu had cancelled at the last minute as did their place on Kauai. I know STRS are not allowed in all places on all islands. The guest was a sweetheart and fantastic and left a five star review, but said he felt iffy about Airbnb now and who can blame him?

. Itā€™s possible Anneā€™s host was simply an illegal place and was shut down.

2 Likes

I agree with Kona - something going on with that listing!! Consider yourself fortunate that you at least have time to find an alternative.

1 Like

Uh, yeah, that one :stuck_out_tongue:

So how does HomeAway compare???
Iā€™ve not used it til looking around there today, and found some really great deals. Trying to make roon for me, guide, husband, dad, brother, and possibly my mom but her health is not good so not certain sheā€™s coming, but at least trying to plan with her in mind.

no matter which site you use ā€” read all the reviews ā€¦
and if you can, talk to owner on phone before or as soon as you are booked.