Host begging for 5 star review

Once i asked for a review, because i thought guests loved their stay as they were so happy duirng stay, and got terrible review back:) Now i dont ask anymore. I mentioned few times to guests rating system in a few short words.
I have 78% 5* reviews. Few times when guests were leaving me 4* and i asked them what can i improve, they were very much surprised that i asked that, and said “nothing needs to be improved, everything was perfect”. When i asked ,then why 4*, most of them did not realize 4* is not that great. I get sometimes 3* on value and mine is on a lowest end really. Wheni asked why, i got answers that my value was just average thats why they gave me 3*. People dont realize the rating system.
But it sounds like that host is overdid it. I would definitely mention the noise. For me noise is always a huge issue. I would sleep in a hole in a wall but quiet hole. When i cant get my rest my vacation is ruined.

I think that is one of the reasons I get booked so much – my place is way off the street and parking lot and backs up to a wooded hill. I’ve read reviews on some of the competition in downtown and a lot of reviews complain about traffic noise. I was thinking about buying a condo in East Vail for another Airbnb but decided not to because it faces I-70 (which is why it was affordable!).

Haha! I did the same! I asked for a review from the woman I had helped with the car rental when everything was sold out. I thought they loved their stay, especially since I saved their trip but noooooooo, I was shocked to read how she she cracked me one while thanking me for the car help. I never ever ask for reviews now. Never. Only if we have a lengthy discussion about how much they loved their stay and I am positive they will leave a good review. This approach has never failed me.

2 Likes

I try not to think of the ratings system too much. Otherwise I’d have so much anxiety my head would spin and then explode. Hahahahahaha. But when I actually look at the reviews, a negative one will first make me angry, but then I think, well what can I improve or change?at as well, because there’s nothing I can do about that review.

3 Likes

So not 5* for accuracy,but maybe for everything else?

AirBnB is totally to blame especially if people are getting accounts suspended for 4* reviews!

@konacoconutz I only ask for reviews from guests who have sent unsolicited emails about how much they loved my place. (And they do!) As a long time off site host I rarely speak to my guests. I leave it up to them if they want (need) to speak. Most of them do not seem to want me to bother them, so I don’t.

1 Like

IF, but are they really?

Well there was a poster on here saying theirs was…?!

It sounds like it was actually the 2 recent 3s they had gotten. It’s an average of 4 stars, but there are doubts to the accuracy of her listing compared to what she actually offers.

Like I said in that thread right at the start - It made no sense for Airbnb to cancel anyone for just having 4 stars. It stands to reason there was another explanation, or a combination of. :rolling_eyes:

1 Like

I saw a listing somewhere with 2 stars. The reasons were, among other things, that his illegal hostel was raided by the police and fire department and people were kicked out onto the street, he advertised AC in the middle of summer when there was none at all and…on and on.

I really don’t understand why the listing and host were still on Airbnb.

Yes, I flagged that one, but I would bet it’s still there!

2 Likes

I won’t reiterate the story of my nightmare Airbnb experience in Italy, but she’s still there – she deleted her old listing and listed anew. I flagged her. She’s still there …

1 Like

You are right!!! One guest said we are far from town and it takes at least an hour of travel. I was so upset!! But then I thought “well, it’s true that it can take that long if you don’t plan it out”. And actually that was one of the last things she said, so likely, people won’t read it…

But that initial sting!! Wow!

I’ve thought about my op a bit more and now think she may have been venting to me as a fellow host.

She actually took up a good chunk of my time talking about that. But maybe she doesn’t do that with all guests - though the full-page description of the ratings and the need for 5 stars is prominiently displayed in the home.

So lesson for all of us - just because a fellow hosting is staying, don’t assume they want to chat about all the ins-and-outs of hosting. I often do, but not when I have a few short hours of day light left and having some rare time with just my daughter.

So treat all guests as guests, never as fellow hosts.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. The experience of your stay should speak for itself. if she has to beg you to give her a five star rating, that’s a red flag right there. Sure she can’t control what her neighbors do, but you cannot sell your space as a ‘quiet getaway’ when there are neighbors nearby who have the potential to be loud. I live in central Hollywood and make very clear that I am in a very noisy loud, urban area. I only want guests who are looking for that. Lo and behold, I am proud of my 100% five-star accuracy rating.

She’s trying to attract guests looking for something different from what she is offering. As others have said that is what is called misrepresentation. She needs to be dinged for that so future guests are not duped the way you are.

So uplate on my original post.

Guest still has sent no documentation in.

The airbnb rep is now out of the office and still nothing as to how much time she has to drag this out and for AirBnB to keep my earnings.

It’s annoying but someone did snatch up most of the dates she had cancelled so I’m not as concerned about it.

And I’ve had two delightful guests since. One from New Zealand. Pretty cool. It really becomes much more rewarding to continually improve the guest room and to try and make my backyard a paradise lol. Well, at least green. Right now it’s “California Gold” hahahahahaha.

I just had a kind of opposite experience. I only do short term rentals, had a young couple here for 3 nights and they seemed to have a great time. Raved about everything. Last evening out of nowhere she started whining that she wasn’t happy, felt uncomfortable, someone had hurt her feelings, I didn’t spend enough time with her when her boyfriend was out, yard worker disrespected her… I tried to find out what I exactly happened and she kept saying she resented that she spent money to stay where she wasn’t welcome. This was literally the first complaint I have had since I started hosting 6 months ago. I issued them a full refund and all of a sudden everything was great again and they couldn’t wait to come back. I will not ever issue a refund again for behavior like this. And they will not be welcome again. Anyone else have this problem and know how to spot these types of guests upfront?

1 Like

This is a link to my home, FYI. https://airbnb.com/rooms/11252865?s=8&user_id=39223147&ref_device_id=7c3978b82c3f67d9bf99e856ac41413048199bc5

You would have to be a psychic. There are as many kinds of people as there are stars in the sky. If you figure out a surefire way though you can patent it and never work another day in your life. [quote=“DozerPug, post:38, topic:7482”]
everything was great again and they couldn’t wait to come back
[/quote]

Well, I guess so. Three free days at the beach, I’d be happy too. Did you review them already?