Home Insurance for Hosts in the UK

Hello Everyone,

I have a quick question regarding home insurance packages for hosts in the UK. We are live-in hosts (guest suite attached to main house) and were covered with homeprotect.co.uk over the past couple of years. The rate went up by about 25% in this short time span and I am now looking for other options. Can anyone recommend a home insurance plan that has an additional box for guest rooms and/or guest suites that are rented out?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you wanted to buy any insurance policy then you may buy equity release. It will be helpful at your retirement time. You will live peacefully because the money tension will be reduced completely.

I have recently had to renew my home insurance and when I answered honestly that there was commercial gain from the property via Airbnb (a flat over a double garage separate from the house) I had adverse reactions from insurers. I decided to cover the Airbnb element with a separate policy from Pikl available for about £100 year. Even though this exposure was now covered by this policy most potential insurers of the main house policy either would not consider it or required a premium of about 50% more than without any Airbnb activity. In the end I was able to place the cover via a broker with inet3 Ltd trading as Magenta Insurance.
The difficulty I had makes me wonder whether many hosts are revealing to their home insurance underwriters about Airbnb activity?
The cynics among us all assume that underwriters are always looking for a reason not to pay a claim and I would suggest that undeclared Airbnb activity may provide them with an opportunity.
Just a thought!

1 Like

Helpful info. Hosts in the UK, and probably most other areas, should be aware that if a claim’s made and the commercial gain has not been disclosed, the insurer is within their rights to refuse payout. Even if the incident leading to the claim is unrelated to the commercial use of the property. Also in the eyes of insurers short term letting will often require different insurance than a lodger type situation.

1 Like