Holiday/year end tip for housekeeper

So as the year comes to an end I am thinking about how much of a gratuity to give my housekeeper. She is dependable and her crew does a decent job, I do find the occasional stray hairs or missed stuff but that is why I do a walk through when I can before guests arrive.

I sometimes do my own cleaning, like next week to relieve her pre holiday rush, but even when I do not really need her I will have her do turnovers so she keeps me top of mind when I really need her!

I have a number in mind I am curious what yā€™all tip year end or if you even do.

RR

Here in Mexico, Christmas bonus is mandated by law. Itā€™s a slightly complicated formula, based on the number of days per year they have worked and the rate per hour, but it basically amounts to what they normally earn from you in 2 weeks.

6 Likes

That is wonderful. Here in the third world country that I live in (the United States of minimum wage) this is, along with ā€˜tippingā€™ of service workers in restaurants etc, a ā€˜gift from the kingā€™ that factors in subservience and deference as well as the politics of ā€˜lift yourself up by your own bootstrapsā€™.

Remember, we invented the "Karenā€™ approach to menials. Bravo bravo Mexico.

6 Likes

I tip my lawn, pest control, and pool guy the equivalent of 1 monthā€™s service. Iā€™d do the same if I had a housekeeper/cleaner.

Which means that basically everyone gets $100 cash and the lawn guy used to have lawn helpers and they got $20 additional. But they quit soā€¦

3 Likes

Canadian travelers have a reputation for being poor tippers. I was flabbergasted when I saw Americans tipping 30% or more at a restaurant. Then I found out how little waiters get paid in the US, the business owners basically expecting the customers to be paying their employeesā€™ salaries in the form of ā€œtipsā€ (which used to be an acknowledgement and reward for good service).

I had a guest from Denver who worked as a hostess at an upscale restaurant. She told me she got paid nothing in salary- she was expected to live on the tip money.

Canadians generally tip about 15%, not because theyā€™re cheap, but because in Canada there is a minimum wage that may not be great, but that no one is going to starve on. And that minimum wage is across the board, regardless of whether you are a restaurant server or a ditch digger or a maid. So Canadians donā€™t often realize how little workers in the US or Mexico actually get paid.

1 Like

Jeez amigo, we all know youā€™re as rich as Croseus, so why donā€™t you just bite the bullet and giveā€™er a couple of grand.

Itā€™ll make you feel good, honest!

JF

6 Likes

The woman who cleans my house also does the suite. She comes in one day a week. Her year end gift is the amount we pay her per week, times the number of years sheā€™s been with us. So this year it will be $600

3 Likes

Lol, no idea who that is!

I just added it up, so far this year I have paid her just under $4000 so 2K seems a bit much!

RR

You could find out in 30 seconds with a Google search.

1 Like

Ahhh. The annual ā€œto me, from me, with loveā€ Xmas gift that I surprise myself with every year. Canā€™t wait.

2 Likes

I could, if I cared enough!

Iā€™d rather use those 30 seconds in playful banter with @JohnF

Lol

RR

4 Likes

I give those to myself all yearā€¦

RR

Philistine.

JF

3 Likes

As do I but I get particularly generous around the holidays!!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve decided Iā€™m going to go with 10% of what I paid her this year

Now the question is when?
Iā€™m thinking New Yearā€™s Day

RR

People usually like to get the bonus before Christmas.

4 Likes

Ok so that helps to frame it. On one hand, just money is always nice. IMO, money in combination with a gift or gifts is better to say ā€œThank you and we Value Youā€. Especially, something they can enjoy with their family ā€¦
Merely putting cash into a gift card is ā€œeasyā€. Give them the impression that you spent some time, thought and effort, and your ā€œthank youā€ has a bigger impact.

I disagree
I owned a landscape maintenance business when I was in my 20ā€™s
The year end cookies were nice but cash is king.
Iā€™d rather have cash

RR

2 Likes

Iā€™ve gotten some nice gifts from my dog boarding clients over the years but in every case but one Iā€™d rather have cash. I prefer it over a gift card too. And I hate how many tchotchkes Iā€™ve donated to the thrift store over the years. I love coffee but going to Starbucks with my annual gift card isnā€™t convenient or even my first choice in coffee.

5 Likes

I also donā€™t like the gift card idea. Unless you know for sure that the person you give it to would be happy to use it, it might just sit there unused.

And gifts are iffy, too, unless, like the gift cards, you know for sure what the person would like. Iā€™m a minimalist and donā€™t want more stuff. Friends used to give me all these presents for my birthday and I didnā€™t want any of it. (My daughters have been the only ones who understand what I like and give me gifts I really appreciate)

One year, it was my 50th, after Iā€™d had a few glasses of wine, I blurted out ungratefully to my assembled friends and family, ā€œYou know, every year people bring me birthday gifts that I donā€™t really want, even though I asked people not to bring gifts, just to show up to celebrate. Iā€™m 50 years old and no one has ever given me a nice bottle of booze for my birthday.ā€

That really paid off. The next year I got 3 big bottles of Glenlivit, my favorite liquor. And no tchotchkes.

3 Likes