High School Age Guests

I’ve rented out my spare room in Chicago on Airbnb for about 2 years now. I’ve been very open to having people of all ages stay, and have had only a few negative experiences. This morning, I received an inquiry from someone who’s profile has no reviews, the education section lists a high school in a nearby suburb, and a profile photo that indicates screams EDM. The booking is for 3 guests on a weekend in Chicago when there’s an Electronic music festival.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’ve done my fair share of partying in my day, and I’ve been to this music festival before to take photos (I’m a photographer). Let’s just say I didn’t feel comfortable taking…like…any portraits because 90% of the attendees were under 18, visibly inebriated, and/or wearing less clothing than bikinis. Point is, I know the kind of thing that happens at this festival, and I definitely don’t want three 18 year olds sharing my home for this weekend. I mean, if they weren’t going to be getting f-ed up, wouldn’t they just make the 30 minute drive home each night after the festival?

So now comes my question. Has anyone here ever denied guests because everything indicates that they will disobey the house rules, or that they will be either consuming illegal substances or alcohol (underage)? I’m not sure how to deny this without coming off as an age-ist, or visibly assuming that they will be using my apartment as the “after party spot”.

Any helpful suggestions, or stories that could lend me some help with this?

One of the options for declining is “not a good fit.” They don’t have to know the details of why.

4 Likes

There are many reasons why you shouldn’t accept anyone under 18. But if this is your spare room and you’re there it might not be a problem. Do you allow 3 in the room? Why don’t you ask the purpose of their trip?

Fatigue probably causes as many accidents as drinking.

I rented my room last year to couple driving across the state for our little Labor Day festival but they were probably mid-20’s. I had no problems with either couple each of which stayed one night.

All that said, I’d probably decline these youngsters.

Honestly, if this were any other festival besides the one happening that weekend, I’d give them the benefit of the doubt, but having been to this festival (a couple times) I can say that without a doubt this is one festival that most people go to for the soul purpose of taking lots of drugs. Combine that with the fact that they are 18, and live 30 minutes away (probably at their parents’ houses), and the first thing that I think is that they don’t want to face their parents after consuming a grab bag of drugs all day.
I haven’t asked the purpose of their trip yet, but I found his Facebook page, and there is no question in my mind that they are going to the festival.

I guess I’ve already made up my mind to deny them, but I’m trying to justify it to myself still, and that’s why I posted

1 Like

Its your house, and you dont feel comfortable, that is all the justification needed.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’re an airbnb host not the chaperone for the Senior trip.

2 Likes

Under 18 cannot be users on the ABB site. They are not adults and cannot agree to terms of service Air requires. Just decline. Someone else who is a better fit will come along.

1 Like

I never allow anyone under 25 to rent. Sometimes I have broken my own rule and allowed and I’ve been sorry every time.

Me too. MY last under 25 was a terrible nightmare and I wish I could rewind time and throw every penny of her lousy $820 back at her, little b:$t@h.

2 Likes

I ended up giving them a chance by starting with some questions.
The answers I got were in one giant run-on sentence, and accompanied by a request for a 4th person to stay. (My maximum limit is 3) He also claimed that he and his friends are all 20, yet the verifications on his account were only email and phone number, and when I asked him to verify his account with a government ID, he said he would have to do it the next day. If that’s not a red flag, I don’t know what is!
Point is, upon asking some questions, everything I assumed to be true about this kid pretty much wound up being true.

1 Like

Well you already found the answer to your question, yourself then, didn’t you? Simply don’t do it and move on to the next guest. I think you’ve spent too much time on this one enquiry, already.

1 Like